General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Scale Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-12-24 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
metro Detroit, MI
Subject: Weight Scale
Well, I finally managed to destroy my scale (dropping it down the stairs when moving it from the basement to the bathroom will do that)... This was just a plain analog scale I have had for some ten plus years, way before I got into any kind of training/sports.

So, I was at the regular sporting goods store looking at them and saw a ton of different prices and options. Too many to pick from. What do some of you have on your scale? Do you just have a plain $10 analog scale or something more like a $50 or $75 digital scale that will tell you your BMI, body fat %, body water %, etc. Are those extra options worth wild? Are the more expensive ones more accurate (my old one was always three pounds more then the nice scale at the YMCA)?

Any makes/models you like?

Any good places online to buy one?

Edited by lexington476 2006-12-24 9:27 PM

2006-12-24 10:16 PM
in reply to: #632744

Maryland
Subject: RE: Weight Scale
i have the tanita BC554 and i got it off of amazon.com. I think it was worth the extra features. I can see how much muscle i have put on from my lifting program, its very accurate, i can check how much fat i've lost since weight certs for wrestling. But it really depends on what you need it for.
2006-12-26 9:16 AM

User image

Master
I use the scale at the gym. Keeps me from weighing myself every 3 minutes.

But the Tanitas do look nice.
2006-12-26 9:28 AM

User image

Runner

Don't have one.  The only time I step on a scale is at the doctor's office.

Regardless of what you buy, they can all go out of whack, and generally need to be reset after so long.  For some, it's easy, for others, it can be a pain.  As for features, keep in mind that a lot of those "features" are not necessarily accurate to any major degree, and are better used for tracking trends.

It really boils down to what you want to get out of it.  If you're interested in tracking some of this stuff, then hey, why not?  If you're going to obsess over those little numbers, then I would forgo it all.  It's not worth it. 

2006-12-26 10:07 AM
in reply to: #633115

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
The wife got me a Tanita Inner Scan for X-Mas, and I just finished playing with it to get a baseline.

It was very easy to set up and seems to be pretty accurate (based on the physician's type scale at the pool locker room I usually use).

I have no idea what it cost though ...... she ordered it from "Frontgate".
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Scale Rss Feed