General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balance on the bike - eating/drinking and also aerobars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-01 10:50 AM

Toronto
Subject: Balance on the bike - eating/drinking and also aerobars
Hi there,

I'm having some serious troubles with eating and drinking on the bike during long rides outside. Because I live in Toronto, where riding outside in the winter sometimes is not an option, I've done most of my training indoors on the trainer, which, obviously provides great fitness and mental benefits, but, riding technique is never developed.

I only learnt how to ride a bike about a year ago, and I did two triathlons already on a road bike. However, in both, I hadn't drank on the bike leg, as they were relatively shorter distances (Sprint and Olympic), but it would be suicidal to not drink or eat on the bike for Ironman Florida 2007. I know I still have a year, but I want some help on how to balance on a bike to drink and eat.

What is the best way? The bike swerves all over the place whenever I take my hand off the hoods or drops. I intuitively stop pedalling first and then reach down for the bottle, but then things go wrong.

Likewise, I have some serious issues with balancing on aerobars. I put one arm on the pad first, and then as soon as I take my second hand off the hoods, the bike goes nuts and I can't even get my arm on the other pad. I was told that it would be a long and difficult ride at IMFLA if I cannot get on the aerobars...

Any advice?

Happy new year everyone :D I've been a lurker, but you guys are great.

2007-01-01 11:54 AM
in reply to: #638328

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
Subject: RE: Balance on the bike - eating/drinking and also aerobars
First of all welcome to the boards...

Next, it just takes some practice. If you are using aerobars, why not use a aero drink system by profile design? If not, what I do is take off one hand, usually my right, and reach down and pull out my bottle without looking. Then, I open the bottle with my teeth and put it back in without looking. It took some practice to be able to "find" it without looking, but if you are riding on the trainer, you should be able to find it no problem.

Just make sure not to "overcorrect" your steering with just one hand on the bars.

Kevin
2007-01-01 12:06 PM

User image

When I started riding a bike as an adult I went to a bike coach and one of the first things he had me do was work on my balance. A big part of that was using a fit ball to to improve balance and core strength. Some of the balancing exercises were kneeling on the ball with your hands on the ball and getting to the point where you can raise up balancing with only your knees on the ball, another one was laying down on the ball face down and raising your arms and legs into the air, this would be similar to the Yoga pose called Superman. There were some others that I don't recall at the moment.

Another suggestion would be to get some rollers and learn to ride on them, if you can get to where you can drink and or eat on the rollers doing it on the road will be a piece of cake!!!!!

Yoga is another activity that will improve balance.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

2007-01-01 1:52 PM

Toronto
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. It makes sense what you are saying. I spend a lot of time working on core strength, so I guess I need to actively "recruit" those muscles in stabilising me when riding that bike.

I was thinking of getting rollers too, but, I don't know if I want to spend another $100! Unfortunately there aren't roads free of traffic in Toronto for me to try getting on the aerobars either. I'm afraid I'd swerve right out into the traffic.

Would you say, when you are on the aerobars, that you would try to control the bike from your elbows, or from the hands at the top of the aerobars?

Obviously, if you are on the hoods, it'd be with the hands... I'm unsure about aerobars tho!

Thanks so much. I appreciate the advice!
2007-01-01 2:10 PM
in reply to: #638359

Champion
South Jersey

Kevin_MS - 2007-01-01 12:54 PM First of all welcome to the boards... Next, it just takes some practice. If you are using aerobars, why not use a aero drink system by profile design? If not, what I do is take off one hand, usually my right, and reach down and pull out my bottle without looking. Then, I open the bottle with my teeth and put it back in without looking. It took some practice to be able to "find" it without looking, but if you are riding on the trainer, you should be able to find it no problem. Just make sure not to "overcorrect" your steering with just one hand on the bars. Kevin

I too reach down without looking. Since you're riding the trainer right now, you should really practice it. I do not, however, close my water bottles. I just always have them open so I can do the quick squirt.

I don't grab my water bottles with my fist, what I do is grab it by the narrower part (about an inch from the top) with my middle and pointer finger. I reach down with my palm facing up, put my middle finger on one side, pointer finger on the other, and pull the bottle out (basically the wider part is resting on my two fingers). It's a more natural motion and you don't have to reach down as far as you would if you grabbed it with your whole hand. I put the bottles back in the cages the same way.

As far as eating while on the bike, I guess just get used to riding with one hand or something. When on long rides, my calories are usually just stored in the pocket on the back my jersey, so I reach back and grab them. During races, I keep things more accessible and really only have to reach for a gel pack. You just rip them open with your teeth, so you'll only have to worry about riding one handed for a bit.

Riding on aerobars should become easier as you start to feel more comfortable on the bike. Just make sure you're moving along at a decent speed when getting on them (just like when we were kids and first learned to ride a bike - too slow meant you'd fall over), and try to practice where it's not windy and you don't have any traffic or other obstacles to deal with. Don't worry if you have problems holding your line at first.

I read somewhere that a good technique to practice balance is to lay things out in a line on the street (like water bottles), and ride by and lean over and pick them up off the street. Feeling comfortable and being balanced on the bike is very important because you never know when you'll need to quickly maneuver around a crash or regain stability after accidentally hitting something.

Good luck. As Bear says, RIDE LOTS! The more you're on the bike, the easier this stuff will become.

2007-01-01 2:52 PM

Get rollers. They'll greatly improve your overall balance. Also try something like the Neverreach, Podium Quest or Areo Drink bottle. It will SSOOO help your nutrition for Florida. Good luck and stick to your tried and true nutrition plan.

2007-01-01 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Vancouver, British Columbia

Hey!  This is the issue my cycling coach is having me address right now.  First they had me take off the aero - bars...but ....No arguing...just take off the aerobars.  Do your intervals in the drops.  this will be good practice for the aeroposition.  I need to address basic bike skills first and I'll be adding aerobars when I get closer to the race.  Second rule is to ride outside.  Unless there is snow or ice I'm have to ride outside to adress my bike skills.  The trainer just gives us a false sense of security.  Once the ice and snow is gone (hard rain is no excuse) then its time for the drills.

1.  ride with one arm only.  slow and easy, no effort,  just maintain your balance.  Lift your arm up, to the side, behind your back.  Every 30 seconds switch arms.  You can't do this inside.  this is a core workout and great for balance.

2. when you make a turn,  don't turn your handle bars.  instead, practice leaning into the turn and keep your fingers very light on the handle bars, arms bent chest out, chin up.  Never look down.  Learn to RELAX.   be light enough on the handlebars that taking your hands off will not send you on a turn.

3. Do one legged pedaling as slowly as you can with hands on hoods. 

4. riding up to poles at the side of the road, stop the bike and hold on to the pole with right hand (no feet out), put pedals in position to restart and push off

5.ride in circles, start big and make them smaller as you go, both directions imagine a cone on the ground that you have to turn around

6.ride your road bike on grass.

7. practice stopping smoothly from speed, using both front and back brakes

8.as you get a better feel for your bike, more balanced, try more advanced drills like putting a water bottle on the ground and then trying to pick it up.

Once you can do that then eating and drinking on the bike is easy.

So get outside and practice practice practice.  Soon you'll be at one with the road and your bike will be an extension of yourself. 

2007-01-01 3:46 PM

Toronto
Again, thanks for all the advice guys. Really helpful.

I rarely venture out of the big city - it's pretty impossible to ride in the concrete jungle. I was told that I should get the fitness down on the trainer and then find a huge empty parking lot to practice those balancing skills.

Definitely will give all those a try... thanks all and I'm glad to have finally made my first posts. Must have been lurking for more than a year!
2007-01-02 8:17 AM
in reply to: #638460

User image

Master
Winder, GA

One other thing to check too is your tire pressure. When I first added my aerobars I really had a problem getting in to aero position and when I did my steering was all over the place. (thankfully I was on a bike path) I found out later that my tires where very under-inflated which made my steering all screwy. Now that they are properly inflated I don't have any problems.

Just another thing to consider. Good luck!

Edited by autigers_1998 2007-01-02 8:17 AM
2007-01-02 10:25 AM
in reply to: #638460

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
artk82 - 2007-01-01 3:46 PM

Again, thanks for all the advice guys. Really helpful.

I rarely venture out of the big city - it's pretty impossible to ride in the concrete jungle. I was told that I should get the fitness down on the trainer and then find a huge empty parking lot to practice those balancing skills.

Definitely will give all those a try... thanks all and I'm glad to have finally made my first posts. Must have been lurking for more than a year!

I recently switched from riding a road bike with drops to a tri bike with aero bars.

I have been riding my roadie for 2 years and around 4,000 miles. When I started riding my tri bike- I had to relearn how to balance. It was a totally different beast.

The key is that you have to get out there and start putting the miles in. With the miles and outdoor practice, will come the balance and confidence.

I have around 60 miles on my tri bike, and I can tell you that I'm very hesitant to ride in traffic. Riding a "straight" line is well... HARD. My line is wavy. HA!

And I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this... but for me, as I am learning how to ride my tri bike, I am taking the stress off myself of having to reach for water bottles... and I am wearing a Camelbak. I personally love the ease of drinking with my Camelbak and not having worry about one more thing that I need to do on the bike.

Good luck and outdoors practice will make perfect.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Balance on the bike - eating/drinking and also aerobars Rss Feed