Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-08-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: #639066

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: TitanIV Group FULL

I I was asked a question about training run hydration and thought I would share with the group. 

I remember a question I have had but never asked - The only time I have taken anything to hydrate with me on a run, basic water bottle, the slosh - slosh - slosh annoyed the crap out of me -  are there different bottles that prevent or minimize this? Do you just get used to it? Am I being ridiculous?  Maybe just because it was "new" to me but man it annoyed me...kinda messed with my head like having a bad song stuck in your head!!

No, I don't like the slosh from a big water bottle either! I use a fuel belt which hold up to 4 10oz bottles. I drink a half a bottle per mile, so only a little slosh for 1 mile, but it's on the belt so not a big deal. I also sometimes do loops, so I put extra bottles in a cooler in my driveway and just get cold, full ones every 3 miles :-)

My basic hydration when I can run 3m loops is this: First loop, just carry 1 10oz bottle of gatorade and drink half each of mile 1 & 2. Near the end of mile 3, I take my gel so I can just drink on my walk break and not worry about getting the gel down and downing the water in one minute (I always walk 1 minute per mile on my long runs). At mile 3 I stop in my driveway, leave the empty bottle and out of cooler get a 8oz fuel belt bottle of water and a 10oz bottle of gatorade. Drink the water during my walk and drink the gatorade during the next 2 miles.

Hydration is something that each person needs to figure out for themselves. I tend to need extra fluids. A buddy of mine can do a 12 mile run in the heat and not drink anything! He says he does get a little thirsty though. I would be drinking from the drainage ditch around mile 8 or 9 :-) During the summer when it is hotter, I also will take Enduralyte caps during my runs (like 1 cap at miles 2,4,5,7, etc. Not the same miles as the gel, but the miles in between and if I ahve at least 2 miles left.

2007-08-06 8:30 AM
in reply to: #913325

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

tntexpres - 2007-08-04 8:02 AM The olympic is the HOT! ...Hammerhead Olympic Triathlon and at the end of August believe me it is HOT! I am feeling like as much as I wanna do this, and I KNOW I could do the distance ( everyone may be gone by the time I finish! - positive thinkin - right?) I am thinking about looking for a race maybe another month or so out - late Sept or Oct maybe. Lots going on in life right now that is demanding my attention - anyway!!

I would probably base your decision on your desire.  If you feel like the HOT is going to be a VERY unpleasant experience for you, don't do it.  If you are looking at it as a challenge, that you KNOW you can do it, and really just want to test your limits, I would probably do it.  I'm REALLY feeling that way about my Oly this Saturday, I KNOW I can do the distances...I'm STILL not overly confident about my swim, I can probably hammer out a 17 mph on the bike and finish with a sub 10 min/mile run.  I am UNDERTRAINED for this race.  Will it be fun?...maybe not.  Will I be what *I* consider 'fast?', who knows?  Depends on the day...I might be surprised...I was surprised for my last triathlon (also undertrained).  Why am I doing it?  Because I need to prove to MYSELF that I can do an Oly distance swim...wetsuit or not...(it'll be a PR for me either way...hee, hee ).  I'll be 'sliding' into an 'easy' sprint as my last race of the season, just to close out the year on a good note .

Sal...Question though - I can't tell by your comment - are you saying that it might be BARELY a little more effort or a LOT more effort? Thinking you are saying that it might not be much more effort and that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Not having done an XTERRA off-road race, this is just my 2 cents, but your last tri was an ocean swim with WAVES, a hilly MTB ride, and a hilly run.  HOT will be a lake swim, 'rolling hills' road ride, and a 'flat' running course (supposedly in the shade).  After having read XTERRA race reports and looking at the grueling conditions, I would venture to say that your HR was spiked for all 3 events of that race.  I'm thinking you probably won't be racing an elevated HR for the Oly.  So to answer your question (without prior experience racing an XTERRA), I think your Oly will not be much more effort.

Edited by sparco 2007-08-06 9:04 AM
2007-08-22 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl

Well, we did finish the adventure race! 10.5 hours is a long time to move :-) And it was very hot! They were also having a little drought so water levels were so low in the river they had to cancel part of the canoe. They said toughest race they ever put on! Of course this was supposed to be a good first timer adventure race :-) We learned a lot and are already planning the next one!

I will say after this race, a regular race doesn't seem as fun :-)

The swimming segment in the RR is actually canoeing.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=87989 

2007-08-30 9:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY

Edited by moreland007 2007-08-30 9:18 PM
2007-08-30 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Independence, KY

So I signed up for IM Louisville 08 with pretty much everyone in my family. I'm really excited about it.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice you've given me so far. I'm sure there's much more to come.

Don't know what happened there with the double post/edit... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TitanIV Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 11