General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Surgery- Fractured Patella from stress? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-02 3:37 PM

User image

Central Ms.
Subject: Knee Surgery- Fractured Patella from stress?
I am John, Hi.
I just had knee surgery about 2 weeks ago. I'm going stir crazy not being able to train right now.
My story is that I am a Triathlete that injured my knee during a triathlon,and would not give up. I continued to train harder than ever, and went to take part in a triathlon that my 19 year old son really wanted me to do with him. I got thru the Swim and Bike legs,and when I got ready for the run leg, I could not run,and hardly could walk.Thats the first time I have EVER had a DNF. I tried to ice it and go on. Eventually it got to where I was in pain a lot more than not. I saw the Dr. He said those most dreaded words... Surgery!
Well, I said No! I thought with time it could heal on it's on. but it didnt. After a few months, I went back to the Dr. And waas scheduled for surgery.
He said it was a stress fracture and he needed to do a bone graft from my shin bone to repair the pateller. And also put 2 pins in it.
After surgery, He told me he had to resurface the back of the pateller also.
I am now in a hinged leg brace. It has only been two weeks, and I am still not sure if I will ever run again.
Has anyone else had this problem, Did you ever run again? How long before you got full range of motion afterwards?

I would appreciate any input or insight,
Thanks,
John

2007-01-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: #639743

User image

Veteran
Upstate South Carolina
Subject: RE: Knee Surgery- Fractured Patella from stress?

Hi John,

Worry less about full ROM and think of it in terms of functional ROM. You should get close to the range of the other leg but you really don't need 145deg of knee flexion. However, you do need to get your knee fully extended. Also, plan on several MONTHS of rehab and strengthening. You will be swimming and cycling long before running. You could make a very good recovery, without being your therapist I could not tell you anymore then that because it depends on how you present each week. However, don't be as stubborn with the rehab as you were with the injury. Sorry to be blunt but if you want to return to triathlons be a patient patient.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee Surgery- Fractured Patella from stress? Rss Feed