Bainbridge Kiwanis
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 13/91
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Protein shake 2 hours before race. SoBe Adrenaline rush and Gatorade 1 hour before race.
Event warmup:

Easy w/u jog for around 15 min+, with one very brief pickup.
Run
  • 42m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan for this race, and I executed it well. I went out way too hard on my first 10K and paid for it later in the race. Not this time. I kept my HR zone3-4 first half, even though I had to let my run rabbit take off and leave me in his dust. (Thanks Michael! :) ) After the middle I just picked it up and ran the best I could. My HR climbed up to LT more or less. The last mile was especially tough. I passed only 2 people the entire race, last one at the 6 mile point. The nice thing is no one passed me after the start sorted out.

Funny side note. One of my patients, a 12 y/o boy, who finished just behind me in the last 10K, came up to me before the race and informed me, with a quite serious face, that he was going to have to beat me. The cool thing, he stayed right behind me for the first 4+ miles, and I was by then pushing as hard as I could. I had decided that if it came down to a race for the wire I would just suck it up and let him win. However, he finally dropped off me at about mile 5+. After the race I want over and congratulated him and he told me he had to stop to dry heave with about a mile to go. He still finished in less than 45 min. That is a truly competitive spirit. BTW - In two years I'm toast.
What would you do differently?:

Try to push a little harder? I may have had a few more seconds in me, but not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked. Had a banana and some Gatorade. Spent about an hour waiting for the awards. Mmakbenton won first in his age group and set a new PR. *Congrats Michael!*

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age and training. I am just now getting to 25+ miles a week. Still have plenty of room to improve endurance and speed. Still, I'm 45, I have to top out sometime. Not yet though. :)

Event comments:

Everything was good - except they had problems getting times and age groups right. They actually tried to give me 3rd for the 40-44 age group, even though they had my age written down as 45. They also totally missed the over 70 y/o age group winner. Not a big deal to me, as I got what I wanted, a new PR!

Last updated: 2006-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:42 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 13/91
Performance: Good
Accidentally erased my HR/lap data. So this data is based on memory. I did the race exactly as I planned. Stayed low-mid zone 4 (160-168) first 3 miles, all < 6:55/mile. After the midway point I just ran as fast as I could, and my HR ranged from 168-174. Don't recall my final mile intervals.
Course: USATF certified loop, all paved except one 3/4 mile loop through a campground on a dirt road. One short, but very steep hill at about mile 4.5. Tougher course than my last 10K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-06 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: Kiwanis River Run - 5K & 10K

2007-01-06 3:15 PM
in reply to: #644750

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Kiwanis River Run - 5K & 10K

Enjoyed the visit and glad I did the race. Very cool course. Good job on the new PR as well! Looks like you improved WAY more than I did. Where can I find an extra two minutes?

Michael

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiwanis River Run - 5K & 10K Rss Feed