General Discussion Race Reports! » Get Your Rear in Gear Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Get Your Rear in Gear Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log
Travelers Rest, South Carolina
United States
North Greenville YMCA
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 06m 49s
Overall Rank = ?/
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 7am. Drank two cups of coffee and ate a Caribou Coffee Chocolate Mocha Bar. Drove to race site w/out my family. Hubby was going to bring the kids so they could see me finish.
Event warmup:

Trip to the port-o-potty.
Run
  • 2h 06m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so scared when I was lining up. I missed talking to my husband on the way to the race cuz he usually is very re-assuring. But he injured his calf last Thursday and decided to stay home with the kids and bring them later on. I started out well and got into a nice group of people. I was able to get my mind into my "happy place". At mile 3, I looked at my watch and saw 24:42 which was ahead of anticipated pace. This freaked me out, but my RPE felt like Zone 2, so I went with it. Had to stop at 32 minutes cuz my shoe untied. Lost my nice little group and was too scared to chase back into it. At mile 6, I looked at my watch and saw 54:36, again ahead of anticipated pace. I was entering Furman University at this point and still felt good. The terrain had been kind with just some gentle rolling hills. Mile 9 was kind of a blur cuz I was heading toward Paris Mtn and the pavement had turned upward. My legs were starting to fatigue. I was struggling up a hill at mile 11 that wasn't all that steep, but seemed never-ending. I decided to walk until I reached the top, or mile 12, whichever came first. I crested the hill and saw the 12 mile sign in the not-too-far distance. So I started running again. Went conservative until the entrance to the Y and then houled butt up the steep incline that was the finish. Saw 2:06 on the clock and was pleased.
What would you do differently?:

I ran this race just like I trained. Now I'm second-guessing my training. I wonder if I could have put out more effort. I'm trying to learn how to use a Polar 625x HR monitor so it can answer those questions for me. I always feel the "what-ifs" after running. I ran 13.1 miles faster than I ran 12 in training so I'm not gonna beat myself up. Running is by far my weakest discipline. I know I can do the HIM in the fall, but I've got my work cut out for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and walking

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speed work and no hill work.

Event comments:

I'm glad I did it. I may be a wuss about pacing, but I wasn't a wuss about following through and completing it. My cycling partner got 3rd in his AG. Way to go, Reuben! As for me, I'm just glad I finished.

Last updated: 2007-01-06 12:00 AM
Running
02:06:49 | 13.1 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: 13.1 miles of rolling terrain around Furman University and some steeper inclines in the Green Valley subdivision.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-01-06 4:27 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Get Your Rear in Gear Half Marathon

2007-01-06 5:07 PM
in reply to: #644894

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Get Your Rear in Gear Half Marathon
You did a super job on this race! You raced smart, and it paid off.

I felt a little funny going to a race without my family in tow, too. I hope your hubby gets better soon.
2007-01-06 6:48 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Great job!  you've done it!  now you are poised to go sub 2:00 in your HIM
2007-01-07 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
You really did a great job.  I think you did a good job pacing yourself.  You are going to do awesome in the fall
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Get Your Rear in Gear Half Marathon Rss Feed