Sport Spectrum
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 7 a.m. Thank goodness for the local races! Had a bowl of Cheerios and two Clementine oranges. Fortunately the car was already packed with the bike and transition bag and shoes already loaded.
Event warmup:

Drove to the racesite. Parked and walked the bike to the transition area. It was so nice to see everybody, especially since we've been training by ourselves during the off-season. The wind was already picking up. Found a racking spot close to Jamie and Cathy. Set up the transition area and even put garbage bags out just in case it started to rain. Decided to do a quick warmup with Elka. Unfortunately she's nursing an achilles injury, but lucky for me since she is a fast runner. We went out and did a quick 1/4 mile warmup. Holy moley, we were doing a 8:30 min/mile pace. I decided not to use up all of my energy, so we turned around. Visited the porta-potties and then waited for the start.
Run
  • 15m 10s
  • 1.57 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a mass start. I started out in the back of the pack. I think there were about 70 participants, heard several didn't show because of the inclement weather. Started out with Debbie, Charlotte and Jamie. Plan was to keep the pace with them as long as possible since they are much faster runners than me.

I felt really good. Started out with no knee pain at all and gait felt really smooth. Looked down at the Garmin. Holy smokes, 9 min/mile pace! Wow! Didn't even feel like I was going that fast, especially since my regular pace during training runs is like 12 min/mile. Strange. I kept the pace going as long as I could. Did start to tire, but just focused on keeping the feet going and making sure I didn't fall too far behind the girls.

This first run measured a bit further than 1.5 miles because we had to run to the timing mat by the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. The off-season runs have really helped and it helped to have the girls pace off of. I felt really good on this portion of the run, which is something new to me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Ran into the transition area. Sunglasses on, helmet on and then worked on getting the bike shoes on while balancing on one foot to try not to get my socks wet since the ground was soaked. Got the bike shoes on and ran the bike out of the transition area. The ground was completely soaked and muddy. Socks got wet anyway while I was running through the mud with the bike.

Worry less about keeping my feet clean! Well, I mostly didn't want to get gravel in my shoes.
Bike
  • 43m 23s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Mount line was after the timing mat. Had to stop and wait behind a girl who was trying to get herself clipped in. Narrow shoulder and there was an 18-wheeler coming. Roads were not closed to traffic. Finally got on my bike, clipped in and passed the girl with the 18-wheeler roaring by me on the left.

Ah, the bike finally!! Had to talked to Elka before the race and was complaining about my slow running, to which she said, "give it all on the bike". So I tried to. Felt really good the first 6 miles. Realized later that we had a tailwind. Managed a 18-20 mph pace, even passed about 10 riders, including Charlotte and Debbie who were ahead of me in the run. Got to the turnaround. I really suck at 180 turns. Had to clip out and slowed wayyyy down to make the turn, especially since the roads were still wet. Teresa wanted to snap a picture, so I took my time clipping back in. Lost all my momentum of course...oh well! The pace group in front of me started to pull away and wow did we feel the headwind now. And yes, it was gusting. Speed dropped to 13 mph average. Very hard to pedal against that wind, but kept at it anyway. I was mostly riding by myself. We were still under USAT rules, but there was lots and lots of drafting, but we had no referees on the course. Passed one more rider on the ride back. At last, the transition area! I was ready to get off the bike.

I really need to work on those 180 turns!!!!!! And please, don't ham for the picture...honestly, who do you think you are? :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Dismounted before timing mat. Ran bike into the transition area. Racked bike, helmet and sunglasses off and then worked on getting the running shoes on. I love the yank shoelaces, but I had to juggle to get my shoes on, again, worried about getting those damn socks too dirty. What's my problem? Finally got the shoes on and ran out of the transition area.

Learn to balance better! Those shoes are hard to get on with just one legged standing!
Run
  • 16m 53s
  • 1.57 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good running out of transition. Got up to the course and felt like my shoes were too loose. Actually STOPPED and bent down to tighten shoelaces, which incidentally were ALREADY tight!!!! Guess my feet were cold? Anyway, main focus here was to keep running. Looked down at the Garmin, was sure my pace was back to 12 or 13 min/mile, but holy moley, it was 10 min/mile. Wow, okay, I'll take it. Dorie was in front of me and I just kept focused on not letting the distance get too far between us. I was pretty much running by myself again. Kept looking at the Garmin and was pleasantly surprised that my pace wasn't dropping too far. Finally passed Dorie and kept going.

Made it to the turnaround. On the way back, I saw Debbie, Charlotte, Cathy and Joy. Joy gets the quote of the day.....she said, as we passed, "My goodness, you've gotten fast!". That probably helped me pick up the pace a little and keep going. Finally the end is in sight!!! Jamie, Elka and Bridget were there to cheer me in. That was so nice!!

Nothing at all. I was really surprised that I could keep the pace going. I did the right thing by not quitting!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish mat, got a pat on the back from Scott (our former tri-club president) and looped around to cheer the others in. Got a quick drink of water and packed up the bike in the transition area. Walked the bike back to the car and returned to the racesite for awards and swag giveaway. Didn't get anything in the raffle. I didn't even get a Frito-pie! (that was the after-race food, funny, huh?). Took some pictures, hugged a bunch of folks and then went home for a nice warm bath!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This was an awesome race and I totally surprised myself. I was really not expecting the performance that I gave on the run. It does make me feel better that I am improving because my training runs had really been depressing me as my pace had not been picking up. It was nice to see a PR on this run, albeit a short one and possibly BECAUSE it was a short distance, but hey, at least I can sprint for 1.5 miles! :)

Event comments:

A nice way to start the 2007 season! And a good confidence booster. Houston Half Marathon, here I come! :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-12-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:10 | 01.57 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Fastest pace per the Garmin was around 8:30 min/mile. HR was 188.
Course: Flat, out and back on paved country road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:43:23 | 12 miles | 16.60 mile/hr
HR 180.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Smooth paved road. Out on Hwy 175 down to Ellerbe. Left on Ellerbe Road down to the school house with a U-turn back the way you came. Mostly flat.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:53 | 01.57 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
HR 186.
Course: Same course as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-07 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: Dustbuster

2007-01-07 3:45 PM
in reply to: #645438

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: RE: Dustbuster
Trying to post some pics, but I'm working with a new camera. Will get them up soon.

Edited by Sharona1973 2007-01-07 3:46 PM
2007-01-07 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
WAY TO GO, woo woo, what a way to start the season!  (and I am glad you didn;t win that nasty artery clogging frito pie   )
2007-01-07 5:03 PM
in reply to: #645464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

possum - 2007-01-07 4:41 PM WAY TO GO, woo woo, what a way to start the season!  (and I am glad you didn;t win that nasty artery clogging frito pie   )

Thanks Hollis! Yeah, I was being so good not getting that Frito-pie! Uploaded some pictures from today. Just wish I could stand to look at myself!

2007-01-07 7:10 PM

User image

It really speaks to your training and persistance that you came out for the first race of the year to perform at a personal best in your running.  You should be proud of yourself. 

Good job abiding by the laws of picture taking and posting.  Great pics. 

2007-01-08 12:03 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Good report, good race. You did great pacing and keeping you game plan on.  180's do suck.  Now on to week.  You opened the season great, lets keep it up.

2007-01-08 4:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Great race Sharon!  I had so much fun reading your RR!  Gosh it's nice to read these to pass the winter months away.  I'm so glad someone is racing.     
2007-01-08 5:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Way to kick off the dust of the old year! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dustbuster Rss Feed