Disney
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 17m 21s
Overall Rank = 10543/32000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 3 a.m. and got dressed. Ate a banana about an hour before the start and tried hard to wake up! Thanked the marathon gods that it was not a repeat of last year's 29 degree temps.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and about a 20 minute walk from the parking lot to the starting corral (yes we were corraled like cattle).
Run
  • 3h 17m 21s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

GOOFY'S RACE AND A HALF CHALLENGE - THE STORY BEGINS....

I was under-trained for this race weekend. My longest run since IMFL was about 7 or 8 miles. I really felt the soreness in my ankles and knees after this run on Saturday. Ended the day wondering how I would get through the full marathon on Sunday. I think the extra weight I am carrying did not help matters much either.

Overall the location helped to break the monotony of the run and made the miles go by pretty fast. It was overcast so it did not get too hot and we also did not get rained on (there was a slight chance for rain) so we were thankful for that.

I carried my hand-holder water bottle and started with that full of 1 scoop heed and 1 endurolyte powder. After that, I refilled it with water at the aid stations and took in some power-aid about once every hour or so. We also took endurolytes periodically to ensure we didn't cramp. Even though it was overcast it was still hot and humid and we were quite "moist".

I was pretty pleased with how we did on this run considering we wanted to leave something in the tank for next day's marathon. We ran from one aid station to another and walked about 2 - 3 minutes to take in some fluid and let it settle a bit, as well as to give our legs a rest. This seemed to work well.

We really enjoyed the day - kept finding things to point out to each other and we took pictures at almost every mile marker (something we wished we'd done at IMFL). We also saw some of the Disney characters along the way and if there was not a long line of other racers waiting we would have our picture taken with them. That little waterproof, shockproof digital camera we got has really come in handy on races.
What would you do differently?:

Train more for the distance. Lose lard weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the post-race party for a bit, got wrapped in foil like a baked potato, and got our (first of three!) medals. Then headed to the car and back to the hotel. Soaked in an ice bath for a few minutes and took some Alleve. Short nap. Suck down pasta at Macaroni Grill for early dinner.

Well I should note that there was an "issue" with the medals. After we finished we kept looking around for the Donald Duck medal and didn't see any. We then heard someone say they had run out of medals. Rob was like WTF?!?!?!?! So we talk to a couple of race officials who confirm they are out of medals. Now we know darn good and well there are literally tens of thousands of people behind us so this defies logic. Rob starts calling it "B.S." (but not abbreviated). Finally someone tells us go to the information area and give our names and they will send us medals. To which Rob states "that is total B.S." (but not abbreviated). So we're waiting in line to put our names on the list and we hear they found some medals. After a while they show up and the people in line and (I think) most of the finishers after us finally got their medals. But some people were so upset I was surprised Disney didn't have their first race riot on their hands.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of longer distance run training.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
03:17:21 | 13.1 miles | 15m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/32000
Performance: Average
Per the Disney results page: 5k 47:19, 10k 1:34:31, 15k 2:20:35.
Course: Run through / around Disney theme parks. You could not ask for a more scenic or well-supported course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-01-08 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La
Subject: Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon

2007-01-08 4:43 PM
in reply to: #646865

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon

Congratulations!!!  I took a ton of pictures when I did my marathon.  Bear said that's why I took so long-NOT-I'm just slow.  Laughing

Glad it was warm for you all.

2007-01-08 6:36 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Attaboy Rob for calling BS, BS and not abreviating it!  That would not have been good PR for Disney had they not come up with the medals.

~Mike

2007-01-09 6:36 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Congrats on the run
2007-01-09 8:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Way to go!  Goofy's Challenge rocks, but that heat and humidity sucked big-time!

Congrats!

2007-01-10 3:23 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congrats I am totally not shocked that disney did not have it together   You guys are amazing

2007-01-23 1:33 PM

Great race and photos!

Robert
http://www.DisneyRunning.com
Going for Goofy #3 in 08
2007-01-28 7:47 AM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Rob calling shananigans!  Woo-hoo!!!  Great job on race #1! On to #2...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed