Orlando, Florida
United States
Disney
Total Time = 6h 02m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

A couple of extra days in the Orlando area. Tried to avoid the recreational trap of too much walking.

Spent Saturday cheering my wife on at the Half.

Usual "night before the race routine" of getting running gear ready, trying to sleep, and having to get up way to early.
Event warmup:

Some walking and some stretching...and then some faster walking after getting to my start corral and realizing I didn't have my timing chip.
Run
  • 6h 02m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Because of Toys for Tots and other holiday related work commitments I had missed my last long run and most of my December workouts. While confident that I would finish, I was a bit of a realist and knew that I wouldn't be finishing in any sort of record time.

I had chosed this venue for my first marathon after seeing the finishing medals during the PF Chang Rock and Roll AZ expo last year.

My goals for the day were simple enough. Cross the finish line and have some fun along the way. To reinforce it I wore my Sport Kilt, Mickey Mouse ears, and brought a camera for pictures along the way.

The race started on time at 6am after the fireworks. At about 6:04 my wave finally crossed the start line and we were off. Plenty of other people doing the run/walk routine as well.

I went "solo" for this race, but with names and the race bibs, and everybody wanting to know what was under the kilt, there was still plenty of conversation and cheering.

The early morning scenery was great. In my part of the country I don't see much green or morning mist.

Epcot: This was my first time seeing this Park and would have like to have seen more, but there was plaenty of cast support cheering. The christmas decorations and music seemed a little out of place though.

Magic Kingdom: Probably my slowest leg of the course since I stopped for photos with Mickey and Minnie, Donald and Daisy, and other characters. Seeing the castle in the morning mist was too cool for words and the shotot I took didn't do it much justice either.

One thing about doing a race like this, you see some back and service areas that you normally don't see, and smell some smells you normally don't associate with "The Happiest Place on Earth" and I remember someone joking that he was surprised that Dinsney didn't "swear us to secrecy."

After leaving Magic Kingdom, it seemed like it was a long, steady climb. I sent continued text message progress reports to my wife and read the "sharpy" signs along the way. Anyone else notice that there was a lot of Beatles being played along the course?

Animal Kingdom: Stopped for a picture with a goat. Noticed more tourist traffic, the sun getting higher, the air warmer, I'm feeling hot spots on my feet and I know I'm not going to be looking forward to the blisters. Nice park, would like to see more.

Fuel and hydration seemed to be going fine. There were plenty of drink stops, I also had my fuel belt with Powerade, clif bars and gu.

Early in the course I remember seeing a shirt that said something like "After 26.2 miles something is going to hurt." I had a few aches, but in general felt pretty good, so I picked up the pace at mile 20. At about mile 22 I started feeling really hot, dizzy, and ready to puke, so I eased it up.

MGM Studios - Told myself I wasn't going to stop, but couldn't resist the photo op with Darth Vader.

Went back through Epcot and down to the finish. Tried to pick up the pace again to finish under 6 hrs. but didn't have it in me this time. The Mrs. was cheering and gave me a smooch through the fence. I'm officially a "marathoner".
What would you do differently?:

Monitor walk/run ratios more closely.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, stretch, ice bath back at the hotel, lots of sleep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Level of fitness, heat/humidity, travel stresses, Mickey Mouse Ears, photos with mickey.

Event comments:

I chose this venue for my first marathon because it seemed like it would be fun and memorable. I wasn't disappointed.

Last updated: 2006-07-02 12:00 AM
Running
06:02:27 | 26.2 miles | 13m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Course goes through Disneyworld Theme park and service areas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-01-09 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Subject: Walt Disney World Marathon

2007-01-09 1:21 PM
in reply to: #647905

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon
Awesome job with the race and the pics! When I went by it was an alpaca.  Are you sure it was a goat? 
2007-01-09 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Congrats on becoming an official marathoner!!  I can't think of a better first marathon than Disney...it was my first too.  On the "sworn to secrecy" thing...I had to sign paperwork that did just that when I used to work there (99-02) and if they found out you gave out information about backstage areas, they had a right to sue you!  Nice huh?

Congrats on an awesome day and a great first marathon!!

2007-01-09 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran

I think we might have been one of the ones to ask what was under the kilt.  If you remember some really annoying, loud, hyper girls in running skirts, that was the BT crew!

Great job!

2007-01-10 10:15 AM
in reply to: #648559

User image

Expert
New Mexico
fitphd - 2007-01-09 7:02 PM

I think we might have been one of the ones to ask what was under the kilt.  If you remember some really annoying, loud, hyper girls in running skirts, that was the BT crew!

Great job!

Might have been. Did the Kilter in question respond "Body Glide"?
2007-01-10 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Nice job!! This was quite an event and I really wish I had brought a camera with me.

2007-01-10 7:16 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Nice Race!!
Congrats
2007-01-10 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Okay too funny.  Unless there was more than one guy running in a kilt, I remember seeing you on the course and you brought a smile to my sore, tired face. 

Your race report was great.  Glad you enjoyed your first marathon experience so much. I have to agree that you could not ask for a more fun setting for a marathon.  Where else can you go through the circle of hell and back and have your picture taken with a goat and Darth Vader along the way?

Congrats!

2007-01-11 5:49 AM
in reply to: #649972

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

I think I saw you too!  Yes I noticed there was a lot of Beatle music.  I enjoyed everybit of it.

Great race.  Tough weather!

Congrats

2007-01-11 10:53 AM
in reply to: #649972

User image

Expert
New Mexico
joannh13 - 2007-01-10 6:11 PM

Okay too funny.  Unless there was more than one guy running in a kilt, I remember seeing you on the course and you brought a smile to my sore, tired face. 

Your race report was great.  Glad you enjoyed your first marathon experience so much. I have to agree that you could not ask for a more fun setting for a marathon.  Where else can you go through the circle of hell and back and have your picture taken with a goat and Darth Vader along the way?

Congrats!

I saw two others, both were wearing "Goofy" hats and were doing the Goofy Challenge.
2007-01-11 5:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job! After all the cold we have here in NM that heat would of killed me. Hoping to become a marathon finisher myself this weekend in AZ.

2007-01-23 1:56 PM

Great job and report on your first marathon! Especially under tough conditions!

Robert
http://www.DisneyRunning.com
Going for Goofy #3 in 08
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Marathon Rss Feed