Disney
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 48s
Overall Rank = 2270/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 195/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and got to the race course. Had some water and a bananna.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching and relaxing prior to the event. Walked to the start line and tried to keep moving as not to get stiff while waiting for the start.
Run
  • 4h 30m 48s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started this race off in the Blue start in Corral B. This was my third year doing Disney and my first in the blue start. I noticed the Cliff Pace team of 4:15 in front of me and 4:30 behind. I know I wanted to atleast do 4:30 so I decided to get with the 4:15 group and keep up with them as long as I could and then try to stay in front of the 4:30 group. I started off the race feeling good with the 4:15 pace group. At mile 5 I felt like it was just another day out running around my house. Pace was good and I was feeling loose and good. Minor pains from previous day Half Marathon and training soreness seemed to have gone away. Pace leader kept the race fun with stories. At about mile 10 she started talking about her Husband doing Ironman Fl in November and an insperational story of a man who lost 140lbs training. It really boosted moral for the run into the Magic Kingdom. Running through the Magic Kingdom is the best feeling. The number of people throughout the part cheering you on and the characters along the way really take your mind off the run and just let you escape. Continued with the 4:15 pace group up until about mile 17 in Animal Kingdom. This is where my body just seemed to shut down. I had to slow down and drop off from the pace group which was hard because I really wanted to finish with the group. For the remainder of the race I did a walk run combo. At around mile 21 you are passing by the people behind you and I saw the 4:30 group. I knew I had to start running at a more steady pace to keep them behind me. I ran the next mile and stopped at a water stop just before mile 22 and walked into MGM Studios. I always like to run through the parks so I pushed myself to run through MGM. I did the 5k on Friday with my Mom through MGM. This was her first run ever and she is turning 60 this year and has a bad knee. I kept thinking about her running through MGM with a goal to maintain a 15 minute mile pace and that got me through all of MGM running. Once I hit the walkway between MGM and board walk at about mile 23.5 I started to walk agian. Then at Mile 24 the 4:30 Pace team was on my heals so I started to run along until I got into Epcot. Saw My mom and sister cheering me on outside out hotel just befor I entered Epcot. That gave me a boost. Once in Epcot I felt spent. I slowed down and started to walk. That is when the 4:30 Pace group passed me. I know I started a little in front of them so I told myself to keep an eye on the balloons and run to the finish. Once I exited Epcot I knew I had it done so I started to give it all I had left. I turned the corner and saw the clock just turn to 4:30 and knew I had a minute to cross the line so I ran as hard as I could until I crossed. Was very excited I did it in the time that I wanted and bested last years time.
What would you do differently?:

Train more for the Marathon. I know I didn't put the proper time or training in and it showed. I need to train smarter and harder next year to do the best that I can.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some light stretching and walking around to keep from cooling down to fast in the heat. Mom got me the VIP Tent for the Marathon so I took advantage of the Free Massage. It was only supposed to be 10 minutes but there was no one else in line so the lady gave me a good 30 minute massage. This was my first massage ever and I loved it, I was almost asleep on the table. Also, My legs felt the best they ever did the next day. I got some food and water after and continued to stretch. Finally got up and walked back into Epcot to meet my Mom and Sister at Mexico for the tradional Post Race Margarita. I had to give most of my away cause my body was telling me that wasn't a good idea. Went and Had lunch and then went to the hotel for a shower and Nap. Woke up a little stiff prior to dinner but once I got moving I was okay.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not trainig the way I know I should have. I didn't put the milage or the time in needed to do a marathon. Hit the wall at 17 miles which is the longest distance I ran. Definitly need to train smarter and harder for next year. And also bring some gels along with me and train using gels and Nuun for the race so I a am use to it and don't get depleted so fast. Goal for next year is not only to beat this years time, but do so running the entire 26.2.

Event comments:

Disney does a great job on the Marathon weekend activities. And the number of volunteers, specators, and entertainment along the course is great and makes for a really great run. Looking forward to next year and the 15th anniversery race.

Last updated: 2006-12-29 12:00 AM
Running
04:30:48 | 26.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 195/
Overall: 2770/
Performance: Good
Course: Course started outside Epcot and made its way through all 4 Disney Theme parks, great course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-01-09 1:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Walt Disney World Marathon

2007-01-09 2:18 PM
in reply to: #648034

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon
Congrats on a solid race!  I only wish I could keep myself at a good pace for the whole race.  Great discipline you have!  Great finish!
2007-01-09 2:42 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Random Question.  Did you run up the left side of the chute to the finish line?  If so, I totally saw you and screamed GO GO.  We were at a tent on the other side of the grand stand watching people finish.  I was there until the 4:45 finishers.  And I only saw one person completely sprint to the finish.

If that was you...great job!!!

2007-01-09 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Good job on making your time goal. Bummer on the post race 'rita.
2007-01-09 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job!  Congrats on a fantastic race!
2007-01-10 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

A 30 minute massage!  Damn you VIP scumbags!  I kid.. I kid.

Congrats on a great race.  Maybe one day my family will love me enough to buy me VIP access at my races so I won't have to walk 20 minutes to a shuttle bus on feet that feel like they are going to explode.   Your mom is cool.

2007-01-11 5:56 AM
in reply to: #649989

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida

I don't think I could have gotten up from the table if I had stopped for a massage.

Congrats on a great race!

2007-01-23 1:48 PM

Great job on the race!

Robert
http://www.DisneyRunning.com
Going for Goofy #3 in 08
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Marathon Rss Feed