New Zealand
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 55m 47s
Overall Rank = 107/650
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 38/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and had a big muesli breakfast with powerade and 2 eggs without bread. Got gear packed into bax that had ready night before, put on sunscreen and ensured had all my goodies packed into the box including powerade and leppins from fridge so at least cold to start the day with.
Event warmup:

No warm up, walked to transisiton area and got gear ready, walked to beach walked over to start line in the water and got ready for the start.
Swim
  • 33m 9s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front to try adn avoid the kaos out the back.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

got shoes on prior to mounting bike due to cycle shoes not triathlon shoes but was easy to run in and quick to get going also.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 30s
  • 90 kms
  • 36.61 km/hr

Take course a bit easier to get a good start to the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m

make sure i don't have to go to toilet as that cost a lot of time, although i was in the first wave so no queues but showed i had too much to drink.
Run
  • 1h 35m 47s
  • 21 kms
  • 04m 34s  min/km
Comments:

Had a real bad time on the run and reflected in athe abismal time produced. Felt okay at the start and had a good pace for first 20' then guts started to play up, not enough real food too much carbs so tried just drinking water and was better but ran out of gas a bit and had to slow, tried having more carb shots and drinking water but straight away guts would react and had real urge to go to the toilet so had to drink heaps of water and it wasn't fun, the last 40' dug deep and got home under 5hrs but was a struggle and really disapointed in final run should of been about 1 35' to 1 40' which is 4.5'/km to 5'/km which is what i should be doing. learn from this for IM in March.

Eat real food and ensure have some water on bike not just powerade, need to flush that guts and get the food to work, protein drink on bike would be a good idea, may get an earo drink bottle to have water with protein and powerade in additional bottles and then can pick up more water from aid stations and take carb shots for gluclose.
Post race
Warm down:

straight to toilet and then to aid station for water, drinks food etc and stretch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Food and training, can't all be nutrition, training wasn't specific enough and went too hard on cycle to make run harder.

Last updated: 2006-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:09 | 2000 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/650
Performance: Good
Average Hr was quite high ended up breathing almost all the time every 2nd stroke on right side to try and get heaps of oxygen into my lungs and due to the number of people around me. Got out to one side so at least there wasn't as many people and the buoys were easier to get around, that start is just a nightmare and it takes so long to get past people.
Suit:
Course: out and around 3 buoys onto the beach and then around smaller course but 3 buoys again and then into transition.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:27:30 | 90 kms | 36.61 km/hr
Performance: Good
Avg 172 HR, which again high but felt comfortable and not like i was pushing to hard it felt right, maybe it was a bit hard but i was happy with that.
Wind: Strong
Course: funny course, 1 long first lap then 2 short laps but was good, lots of crowd support and was easy to see how we were going compared tothe front guys.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:35:47 | 21 kms | 04m 34s  min/km
Performance: Bad
165 HR so about the right level.
Course: Around base of Mount twice, was a good course again lots of crowd support and plenty of drinks station.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-01-10 4:36 AM

User image

Hawkes Bay
Subject: Port of Tauranga Half-Ironman

2007-01-10 4:41 AM
in reply to: #648688

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Port of Tauranga Half-Ironman
Congrats on the race! Sounds like youll know everything you can for March - I take it its IMNZ you are doing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Port of Tauranga Half-Ironman Rss Feed