General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started training have some questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-12 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Subject: Started training have some questions
As I posted on here a while ago I was going to attempt the Torn Short tri at the end of June. Due to a conflict I have now decided to enter the Stony Creek Tri on June 2nd. I have started training but I have some questions.

BTW I am new to Tri but I run and bike regularly.

1. The distances for this race are as follows: Swim 1000M, Bike 20K(MTNBike), Run 5K. I have about 5-6 hours a week to train. I have access to a pool one night a week for about an hour, I have a trainer for my bike, and I will be starting a boot camp style class in a couple of weeks. This is what I am thinking..

Monday: 1 Hour Boot Camp style cross training class
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: 1 Hour Boot Camp style cross training class
Thursday: Swim (Approx 1 hour)
Friday: Bike
Saturday: Bike or run
Sunday: Bike and run (Two-a-day not a brick)

2. As stated above the race is on June 2nd. Any Opinions on a wet suit? I really can not afford one but I am kind of worried about how warm the water will be and it that will affect my performance.

3. Anyone else planning on doing this race??

Thanks in advance..

Chris

2007-01-17 2:46 PM
in reply to: #652232

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Subject: RE: Started training have some questions
Thanks for all the great responses guys!!!!!!

Anything?? Help!!!! Please!!!!!!
2007-01-17 7:16 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

caffer - 2007-01-12 12:25 PM As I posted on here a while ago I was going to attempt the Torn Short tri at the end of June. Due to a conflict I have now decided to enter the Stony Creek Tri on June 2nd. I have started training but I have some questions. BTW I am new to Tri but I run and bike regularly. 1. The distances for this race are as follows: Swim 1000M, Bike 20K(MTNBike), Run 5K. I have about 5-6 hours a week to train. I have access to a pool one night a week for about an hour, I have a trainer for my bike, and I will be starting a boot camp style class in a couple of weeks. This is what I am thinking.. Monday: 1 Hour Boot Camp style cross training class Tuesday: Off Wednesday: 1 Hour Boot Camp style cross training class Thursday: Swim (Approx 1 hour) Friday: Bike Saturday: Bike or run Sunday: Bike and run (Two-a-day not a brick) 2. As stated above the race is on June 2nd. Any Opinions on a wet suit? I really can not afford one but I am kind of worried about how warm the water will be and it that will affect my performance. 3. Anyone else planning on doing this race?? Thanks in advance.. Chris

Wow...missed this one, Chris.  My bad...Here goes, off-the-cuff...

1) the training schedule looks fine. Ideally, you wouldn't bike 3 days in a row, and run 2 days in a row, maybe spread 'em out over the week.  I might move the Saturday bike / run to Tuesday.  But if that's the fixed schedule you've got for boot camp, it gives you some limitations.  Just spread it out as best you can, and your general fitness level should be more than fine.

An aside, if you are thinking about competing in your AG (i.e., you have designs on going really fast and scoring some hardware), then I'd suggest the boot camp through maybe March, then give it up for tri-specific training.  But if you're just looking to be in shape and finish, the mix of activities you've got is A-O-K.

2) June 2?  Wetsuit, please.  You may be able to borrow one; that's what I'd look into.  Depending on your size, you're welcome to mine.  Sleeveless will be fine, but going without could be really dicey.  Water could be as cold as 62, as warm as low 70's.  Certainly no warmer.

3) Not me; sounds fun, but I don't have the MTB, and I've got two other races that month.  Check the race nexus for anyone that might have signed up.

Thanks for keeping after us.    Hope this helps.

2007-01-17 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Hi Chris-

Your training schedule looks good. And like Rick said, I would work on some more run training after you build an aerobic base with the boot camp.

Check out the website www.wetsuitrental.com for a good deal on a rental suit. I've used them before and the suits are great and really inexpensive.

I'm skipping that race. I'm doing the same tri series (MTB) in Novi on June 30th!
2007-01-18 10:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Thanks for the info!!!

rkreuser:

Yea the Boot Camp is a set thing. It is 8 weeks so that will take me into March. I am looking at it as a aerobic building tool.

I do not expect to place in this race but I do not want to just finish.

I was afraid of that with the water temp. I will look into a wetsuit.

Lizard:

Thanks for the info on the wet suit rental!! I didn't even know a service like that existed.

Novi is probably my favorite place to ride right now. I wish I could do that one but I will be doing the MS150 in Illinois the weekend before that (June 24th and 25th). Good luck!!!!

Thanks!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Started training have some questions Rss Feed