General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The difficulties of running outside! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-01-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: #654710

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: The difficulties of running outside!
BAMBAM66 - 2007-01-15 9:27 AM

My problem is that the cold air triggers an asthmatic reaction.  I'm OK running in any other weather except the cold air.  Any suggestions on how to combat the inability to breathe when running outside?  I've heard people say to run with a mask on.

Yes, a mask will help--like the photos above. Sometimes they freeze with snot and precip, but they keep the air you're breathing warmer.

2007-01-15 9:50 AM
in reply to: #654710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs
BAMBAM66 - 2007-01-15 9:27 AM

My problem is that the cold air triggers an asthmatic reaction. I'm OK running in any other weather except the cold air. Any suggestions on how to combat the inability to breathe when running outside? I've heard people say to run with a mask on.

Okay, I was joking about the balaklava. I like strudel much better.

Seriously, I have cold/excercise induced asthma too. I usually have to use my puffer during a run, but for any temperature below 0 - 6 C I've found a mask or balaclava is essential. I've used one of those cycling polution masks successfully and also a neck tube...but the neck tube is a little too thick and gets far too wet (and frozen from condensation-breath)

a light balackava works well because you can roll it down when you want to breathe a little more freely.

Dreadmills are the work of the devil and should be avoided if possible. They are really good for walking and incline walking to get your hear rate up for weights and stuff, but for running longish distance, kinda questionable IMO. Lately as some other's in this thread have noted, it has been kinda cold. -30 C this morning!! So I've been a chicken and ran indoors in a track. And I'm very lucky to have access to that, I know many don't.

The best thing about running in Winter is that the snow and ice not only cushion your run, but force you to use so many stabalizer muscles that you only would use (and barely) if you did trail running in the summer. I prefer this to running in the summer.

If you are worried about slippage (and who isn't these days) there are lots of shoe grip products
on the market and should be available at a local running/sports or even dept. store.

(-ice-grips.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
-ice-grips.jpg (7KB - 7 downloads)
2007-01-15 12:01 PM
in reply to: #654742

User image

Master
MidWest

sebjamesm - 2007-01-15 9:45 AM
BAMBAM66 - 2007-01-15 9:27 AM My problem is that the cold air triggers an asthmatic reaction.  I'm OK running in any other weather except the cold air.  Any suggestions on how to combat the inability to breathe when running outside?  I've heard people say to run with a mask on.
Yes, a mask will help--like the photos above. Sometimes they freeze with snot and precip, but they keep the air you're breathing warmer.

I'm scheduled for a swim today but I might try the idea of a mask on my next run day.

Thanks!

2007-01-17 9:53 AM
in reply to: #653717

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen

.....so when I run through the woods, Sasquatch can't see me.

Edited by jcagg90 2007-01-17 9:54 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The difficulties of running outside! Rss Feed  

of 2