General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Elite Racing Inc.
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 25m 19s
Overall Rank = 586/
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 79/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special for this one. Slept in as late as possible, went downstairs at the hotel to get breakfast (bagel w/pb and honey, banana), took a very short shower and got dressed. Julia and Shannon picked me up and we went over to the finish parking area, where we caught a shuttle to the start area. The only thing that sucked was that it was FREEZING here this morning. I'll say at or maybe just below 30 F at 7. Yikes.
Event warmup:

Stand around and shiver. I had extra clothes on at the start, that we dumped on the UPS trucks for transport to the finish line, but even that wasn't enough. I should have had the down jacket here with me.

No real running warm up, because it was just too damn cold to mess with. Even had I warmed up, I would have gotten cold again so quickly that it would have been useless. Just jumped into my start corral with about 5 minutes to spare and started running.
Run
  • 3h 25m 19s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall, I would have to say I'm very pleased. The first 10 miles were a breeze, just silly easy. I was holding way back to go 7:45 pace for the first 10, but I knew not to go too hard too early. Hit the half point at about 7:47 pace, so a bit faster than goal time but within the margin of error.

Second ten was pretty decent, started getting pretty hard toward 20. At that point, everything just started to feel heavy, and the pace was difficult to hold. My nutrition plan was holding up well (1 gel/3 miles), until mile 19, where the morons had opened the gels for us. I was counting on grabbing 2 or 3 and throwing them in my pocket, but I tossed them aside instead. I had eaten one at 18 and knew my stomach would be screwed if I took another one that quickly. Sooooo, that was the only hitch.

That little hitch kind of came back to haunt me though. I was struggling a little after about 22, and when I hit mile 24 I started to see spots. Just little dots of light in the middle of my vision, which I attribute to the fuel plan falling apart after mile 18. So basically by mile 24 I was two gels behind the plan, and I started to feel it in my head. But at that point I was so close to the finish that I just told myself I didn't need to see, I just needed to push the legs.

Last couple were ridiculously painful, and then the sweet, sweet, sweet, lovely, gorgeous finish line came into sight, and I have never been happier to be finished. But really, the suffering at the end was totally expected, and no worse than what I had heard or prepared myself for, so that was manageable.
What would you do differently?:

Carry more gels. I had one more in my bag that I left behind because I had a plan to grab a couple at 19. In the future I'll know that Helpy Helperton and crew think that opening a gel takes special dexterity skills that runners don't have, and just carry my own.
Post race
Warm down:

Shuffle through the finish area to get my pic taken, get my finishers medal, horde food like a refugee, and get my warm clothes back on.

Headed straight for the hotel where I stretched, stuffed my face with anything I could find, and sat in a 15 minute ice bath. I feel pretty tired, but about like I usually feel after a long run, so I have high hopes for quick recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, ability, possibly fuel at the end (though I didn't really bonk, I don't think, I just suffered a little extra). For a first marathon, I'm very happy and really not going to pick this one apart.

Event comments:

These events are run like well oiled machines. I was amazed at their efficiency in getting 30,000 people to the start line, seemingly without a hitch. The course was great, perfect for my first, and I would consider coming back here to try and qualify for Boston. The weather was a little cooler than perfect, but not bad.

Thanks to Julia (juliapurr) and her sis for dragging my ass around all weekend. Her sister kicked ass in the half, and it looks like Julia might have BQ'd. Anyway, it was nice to have company and saved me a rental car fee.

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
03:25:19 | 26.2 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Average HR for the whole race was 162, which is mid/low Z3 HR. Max was 173, which is still sub-threshold.
Course: Flat. Period.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-01-14 3:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

2007-01-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #654141

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

I can't believe you have your RR done already! 

AWESOME race.....I think you were very well prepared (even if you don't think so!)with doing several 20 milers and your race shows it!  Great job! 

Huh, I never thought about them having the gels opened already!  Interesting.

2007-01-14 4:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Congrats!  Under your goal time!  Wow, spectacular.  Way to train hard.
2007-01-14 4:44 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Great job! I too am hobbling around the house right now.
2007-01-14 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great race report. Awesome time, hope you enjoyed it and are not too sore tomorrow. It usually is not this cold here in Phoenix. I did the helf a couple of years ago and it was warm.
2007-01-14 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Way to go!!!  Absolutely don't pick this one apart.  You did a fantastic job.  I couldn't believe how relaxed you were start to finish.  (well, before and after the race anyway)  You seemed like a marathon pro on your first one!!  Keep it up and you will ROCK your running this year.  No weak spots for you my friend!

CONGRATS

2007-01-15 6:59 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Good job, great report! Yeah, opened gels bug me too, no good unless your plan calls for you to take one at that exact spot. I've also heard from people who shoved them in their pockets without realizing they wer open! Yuk!
2007-01-15 10:27 AM

User image

Expert
Great run Adam!!  Your training has been looking spot on and that makes a marathon much, much more tolerable.  Happy recovery!!
2007-01-15 3:01 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Great job!  That's amazing you think a 7:45 is an easy pace, but I'm just jealous. 
2007-01-16 11:21 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
What's funny and of no coincidence, is that aside from the gels, this is basically the same story and routine that I've heard for most of your long runs. Good prep and great race!
2007-01-16 1:41 PM
in reply to: #656318

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

himself - 2007-01-16 10:21 AM What's funny and of no coincidence, is that aside from the gels, this is basically the same story and routine that I've heard for most of your long runs. Good prep and great race!

Exactly.  Race day is no time to change it up.  But I also realized that missing the 22 miler when the weather got bad cost me a little endurance, a little time and some comfort at the end of the race.  In hindsight, I effectively started my taper a bit too early, so that is something that I will be mindful of in the future.  Also, I'm now more convinced than ever that the marathon training long run should be 22 miles.

Thanks everyone for the great comments!

2007-01-16 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Great race! Hard to believe that was your first with a time like that.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed