United States
Disney
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 58s
Overall Rank = 6721/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 631/
Pre-race routine:

Well where to start? On arriving in Orlando on the 1st I developed a pain in my right hip joint. No idea what it was. Went for a jog on the 2nd and it was painful. Also at 4am in the morning it was very humid, at least for this poor Scot and I was a bit surprised by it.

I decided to stop running and spend time in the pool in the hope it would subside but it didn't. It became difficult to raise my leg more than 6 inches and no rotation was possible without a little pain.

I decided to take Tylanol to try to reduce any inflamation and I did so till race day.
Event warmup:

To be honest I never really do a warm up. I just take the first section easy. Well here the warm up was the walk to the start which was some distance. It was very humid it seemed and I wish I hadn't worn the t-shirt type top my good lady had bought for the race and worn a vest but hey ho can't argue with my true love can I?

Hip was real sore and I was thinking of pulling out but I decided to start and see just how painful it would be.
Run
  • 2h 42m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Well went off slow as I wanted. I found myself in the B wave? (How in hell did that happen?) So I went to the back and just eased along. for the first 1/4 mile my hip was real bad and then.... nothing! No pain at all?!?!?!?!? Still wasn't argueing and just kept on.

I was conscious of the humidity and so took on plenty water whenever I could. Seems like miles too much as I had to stop at Epcot for the toilet! It was interesting to see not only male but female runners making good use of the verges especially at the start.

First mile coming up and all of a sudden alarms started going off! Thought I was in a gun fight for a minute! By the third mile I realised it was GPS watches going off! Wow things have progressed since I last did a race. Hey and another thing. What is it with all the cell phones? People were making and taking calls right left and centre! Sheesh, takes me all my time to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other.

I picked up a lady who had been in Scotland and ran with here for a couple of miles and I was feeling easy till about mile 5. Then I started to feel the heat. Felt a blister on middle right toe and it bothered me for a mile and then wasn't bothered again for the race but my feet feltreally hot.

Half way felt okay but stopped to pee and then going through the castle was super, I really liked that.

Out and on the road home and started to feel tired. I didn't have a watch on so wasn't sure of pace. (Can't see it now with out specs and I don't like to run in my glasses). I had started wanting to break 3 hours if poss I reconed that if I did 14 min miles for the race in the heat I would be doing well.

Just concentrated on running to a fixed point on the road ahead and then picked another point. Coming into the last three miles I was suffering but I knew I was close to cracking 3 hours.

Into Epcot and I was just managing about 16m mile pace I reckon. I was suffering as the photos no doubt atest. Praying for it to finish but knew I was close. Got to the finish and felt wonderful to make it. Just outsidr 3 hours on the clock so I knew race time was under but not sure how much.
What would you do differently?:

I could not have run faster if I had tried. To complete in my condition after 9 weeks is , for me at least, nothing short of a miracle. I'll give thanks next time I pass a church.

I do wish I had started training earlier but then I guess we all do. I was greatly humbled by all the people doing the Goofy Challange and I wish I had trained long enough to have had a crack at it.
Post race
Warm down:

I was lucky to make the finish never mind warm down. I had expected to finish about half nine and so told family to meet me about 10 (in case I had to walk in) so I ended up waining about an hour at the finish. I wasn't dehidrated but rather over hydrated and very hot and really needed some support. I felt faint and got on the deck in the shade but couldn't find water to pour over myself. Recovered after 20 mins enough I wasn't going to collapse, but was praying to see wife and kids and get a seat and a shower. Spent the afternoon at typhoon lagoon and took it easy and suprisingly was only a little stiff next day and all right on Tuesday. hip ached a little but is now clear.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The humidity was a big factor but lack of condition was my greatest limiting factor.

Last updated: 2006-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:42:58 | 13.1 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 631/
Overall: 6721/
Performance: Below average
START 6:17:57 AM 5K 37:44 10K 1:14:34 15K 1:52:43 FINISH 2:42:58
Course: Start at Epcot and up the motorway to Magic Kingdom, through the Castle and return to Epcot.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-01-14 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Subject: Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon

2007-01-14 5:55 PM
in reply to: #654160

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon
Nice race! I need to make it to Disney for a race. When I am there I am usually in a "money spending marathon" ...haha...

You did good... 13.1 made me hurt enough as it is... I couldn't imagine starting with a hurt hip. I hope you are feeling better.

Kenny
2007-01-14 6:15 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Great job Paul.  Wish we could've met up some way.  Yes the humidity was awful!

Edited by Doughboy 2007-01-14 6:15 PM
2007-01-14 10:48 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to run through it and make the progress you did over the last few month!  Beating a goal is always good.
2007-01-15 4:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Well done. Tough break picking up an injury just before the race, well done for soldiering on. I hope the hip is ok.
2007-01-15 9:21 PM

User image

Expert

Glad to see that you were able to start and finish.  At the beginning of your report I was afraid to hear that you weren't going to be able to run.  Not only did you get to run, but you "gubbed" that course and on your 1st half marathon no less.  Glad to hear your doing well!!

2007-01-16 2:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Good effort with the Half Paul.
2007-01-17 8:39 AM

User image

New York City

Paul,

Congrats on the race and way to fight through your injury to finish.  I hope your hip heals up soon!

Brian

2007-01-23 11:53 AM

Congrats on the race! The heat and humidity for both races were tough.

Robert
http://www.DisneyRunning.com
Going for Goofy#3 in 08
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed