Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 3h 40m
  • 62.14 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I had no idea what to expect as i have never done a bike tour before. There wer maybe 100 people doing the 62 mile loop. When we started I stayed with the "slower" group as a faster group took off initially. The group was doing 20mph which was comfortable especially in a group. I stuck with them for about 10 miles then dropped off. I dropped out because - 1. I wanted to use this a s training time for tri ie no drafting and 2. They just picked up to about 24-25 which i certianly could not maintain. I skipped the first water station as i had plenty on my bike. At 26 miles i got off at the second station and refilled/rehydrated really well. After about 40 miles, i had to keep my head going because that is usually my long ride and anything beyond that depends on the day. I had never done 62 before. I pulled into the last stop feeling really good at 44 miles. I had not eaten at the other stops, so i decided to eat a banana, 1/4 orange and a 6oz gatorade. Rehydrated and refilled as well. I also had to pee which i felt was a good sign for my hydration. The last segment was trying. After eating i felt a little sluggish, but lumbered along. I was counting the miles by .5 at a time which was a bad mental sign to me. I felt every little bump in the road, and i was dreading every time we turned into the strong headwind. In this segment I was struggling to keep 12-14mph in the headwinds. I really was trying to gauge how i would feel at 56miles. Could i run or was i just spent? I felt pretty spent at 56 but i only had 6 mi to go so i kept pushing. At around 58 mi. I got my second wind (maybe the food had digested and was available to the legs) and i felt really good coming in. At the last light we only had two miles to go and there was a light. I was stopped and a group of about three other riders caught up. They were all spent and one guy said he felt like his legs were going to lock up. I have no idea why someone else's pain inspires me so much, but it did. I did around 20 the rest of the way into the finish line (which was 63 miles according to my GPS) I felt really good and exhausted at the end of the event. I felt very proud of myself as well. Some of my accomplishments thus far (running a 5k without stopping, completing a triathlon) I have done before. This was something i had never done, and I really felt all of the miles and time i had put in the saddle thus far really paid off.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I had a really good race both mentally and physically. I am undertain if i am ready for a century, but it is in the future.
I would definitely have some chamois buttr on also. I used glide and i was comfortable, but started to feel it around 50 mmiles where i had missed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a few minutes. Went to Applebee's and ordered up!!!! (Boneless chicken wings and apple walnut chicken salad) I drank a good half gallon of water as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and more TITS.

Event comments:

I have no basis to rate the race, but i felt it was well marked, well staffed and adequate rest stations. There were some real rough areas on the road (maybe 10%) but i realy enjoyed the fact that there was v ery little double back or looping.

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Biking
03:40:00 | 62.14 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A 62 mile single loop in Florida. Very flat no hills. The roads were brand new in spots and really beat up in other parts. Part of the course was on a really nice wide bike trail.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right