Shadow Tours
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 57m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate breakfast and drove 1/2hr to meet MikeB and Tom (madcow). We carpooled the remaining 1 hour out to the desert. We drove through the mountains, and as we climbed in elevation, there was an increasing amount of snow on the ground- kinda unusual for SoCal. We were just hoping it would get warmer as we got to the other side of the mountains.
Event warmup:

There is no such thing as a warmup when it is 40 degrees outside and you are about to hop on a bike. We just put all the warm clothes we had on, hoping we would shed them later as it got warmer...right. The only thing we could be thankful for was that there wasn't any obvious wind out in the desert.
Bike
  • 5h 57m
  • 93 miles
  • 15.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Starting out at the car, we weren't too cold- it was about 40, and there wasn't any wind. Tom, Mike and I rode next to each other chatting till about the first rest stop. We knew that the ride was almost a constant uphill climb for the first 13miles, but it didn't feel like we were working too hard, so that got us pumped. At the first rest stop, I swear it got colder outside, and all of the aid station workers had on big parkas and other warm weather gear. Not to worry, they said, with the hill coming up, you won't be cold anymore! Great...

Tom knew some tri club people that we hooked up with for the next portion, and I got to experience the joy that is drafting. Since I train by myself all the time, I've never drafted a lot before, and man is it fun! As soon as we got to the major climb, though, I went ahead of everyone. It's not like I like climbing, but since I don't weigh as much as most people, it's just easier for me, I suppose, so I would just go ahead. The first hill seemed to last forever, and my legs were throbbing at the top, which got me worried because we had a looong way to go!
We kept pedaling along in our paceline, and apparently as much as I like drafting, I also have a hard time following people, so I found myself in front a lot. I didn't realize this until on our way back when Mike informed me that I was pulling about 500lbs worth of guys for almost 20miles, or something like that. Mike and Tom agreed to give up their 'man cards' :) Everytime we would hit a spot that was a slight downhill, though, all the guys just flew by me, and I had to work really hard to not get dropped off the end.

We stopped at all the rest stops to try and warm up our fingers, but it just kept getting colder as the day went on and the elevation increased. The sky was overcast and the day just looked as miserable as it really was. There were a lot of people that had full face masks on and I was wishing that I had my skiing gator more than anything!
As we got closer to the turn-around point, there were a few more climbs than I expected, and each downhill sucked because the wind just made all your sweat freeze. As soon as we turned around, BAM, straight into a headwind. So that's why those list 5 miles I was going 20mph....bummer.

At this point, we only had to ride a few more miles to get to the lunch station, but those few miles sucked the worst of all- it was sooo cold that I could barely hold onto my bike- my fingers hurt so bad they made me want to scream in pain. I was worried I'd get frostbite, or something, they've never hurt that badly before! We finally got to the lunch stop, and just as I was pulling in, a guy next to me tips over and comes within inches to taking me out with him. Jeesh, just what I need.

The lodge seemed like a ski lodge, with everyone huddled around the heaters, complaining about how unbelieveably cold it was out there. I had some crappy vegetarian chili and some coffee, and started to thaw out. Mike was mad at himself because he had left his warmer jacket in the car, thinking he wouldn't need it, and Tom just looked like he was being tortured. The disadvantage to warming up in the lodge was that it felt that much colder when you got outside. The sun finally came up however, so we just hoped that it would help.

As we got back on our bikes, Tom and Mike asked how I would feel if we gave up and took a SAG wagon back. I said that if they didn't think they'd make it, I wasn't going to force them into finishing, just for me. We agreed to see how the headwind felt, and try to make it to the next rest stop. With the sun out, it helped thaw out our fingers and toes, and we just kept a nice paceline going so the wind was only bad when out front. We made it through the next rest stop, and as we were chugging along, we were passing people who jumped into our paceline. At one point, I think there were like 15 people behind us, but it was always only Tom, Mike or me in front.

The ride back improved, and as we made it over the first hill, the headwind seemed to die down, and with the sun out, I finally realized how beautiful the desert scenery was. Before we knew it, we were heading up the monster last hill. I was out of my seat for almost the whole hill, and finally made it to the top where I waited for Tom and Mike. As we took off for the last 13 miles, Tom and Mike sped ahead, using their weight to their advantage, and it took me almost 5 miles to catch up. I need to put rocks in my pockets next time to make it down those big hills at a decent speed!

We finally made it back to the start and we were all too exhausted to ride anymore and get the additional 7 miles to make it an official century. Turning on the heat in Tom's car was the highlight of the day.

Despite such awful conditions, it was an awesome time riding with Tom and Mike, and if it weren't for them, I would've turned around after the first aid station. They are great company and I can't wait to do another race with them- hopefully in a warmer climate :)
What would you do differently?:

My legs were pretty tired at the end, but I don't know if that was from not eating enough, or shivering uncontrolllably for 93 miles and wasting energy that way. I have to eat more though, and also get even more warm gear for my bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Now this was the official warm up- sitting in the car with the heat blasting.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't have enough power in my legs and I don't weigh enough to go fast downhill. The laws of physics are against me.

Event comments:

This event is kind of expensive for what you get. They only had a limited amount of snacks at the aid stations and very disgusting chili at the lunch stop. The course is pretty tough, especially since on the website they say it is a ride for all abilities. If I didn't train on a ton of hills, I wouldn't have been able to handle the climbs. They should be more honest about how tough those climbs were.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-15 12:00 AM
Biking
05:57:00 | 93 miles | 15.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Almost constant climbing all the way out to the turn-around point with 2 really steep climbs and one sharp descent, then just the opposite on the way back. Total elevation went from 340ft to 2700ft.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 84
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-01-15 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Stagecoach Century

2007-01-15 6:47 PM
in reply to: #655591

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Stagecoach Century
Sounds like you guys had a really good time out there. Centuries are absolutely the best and is definitely a shared experience. (Doing one alone is definitely not nearly as much fun)

The pace line sounds like a lot of fun except when you get dropped off of the back.

I had heard really good things about this Century and am sorry you did not get more out of the support. (But definitely made the best of it anyway) Certainly something warm and Hearty would have definitely helped on your lunch stop. (May have to choose anothe one to do next year)

I am heading up to the Mountains this weekend and hope to get some high altitude training in while I am there. Good to know there is still snow on the ground. (I will be up at about 7,500 ft)

Glad that you had a good time
2007-01-15 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Alaina,

Nice race report. It was a pleasure to ride with you. Good luck in the training and let me know when the next big ride is.

Take care,
Mike
2007-01-16 8:24 AM

Albuquerque, NM

You're an animal!  Way to attack those hills and survive the cold conditions. 

2007-01-16 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Wow! You are hard-core! Way to keep at it through the misery. Congratulations on the finish!

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice job on finishing that ride - it sounds awful! Apparently that 60 mile ride at 4 a.m. in the rain proved to be good training after all, huh?

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
That is insane. It has been freezing in So. Cal.

Great job on the hills!!!
2007-01-16 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great job!!! Sounds like really brutal conditions...Way to tough it out. Sounds like you're getting stronger and stronger every day on the bike.
2007-01-18 9:23 PM

User image

Mesa
Nice that you learned about drafting. It sure is easier when you don't have to cut the wind by yourself all the time.

I am going to have to tuck in some during the 300k Brevet w/ Pilgrim. But as you did, I end up out in front cutting the wind a lot too.
2007-01-19 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
One of my SF peeps was there for his first century. I didn't appreciate from his description just how cold it was. He did remark on the beautiful desert scenery, though. I'll have to keep that in mind for next year since that's my favorite setting for long rides.

Congrats on toughing it out on a cold day. You're so ready for an Ironman!
2007-01-19 5:36 PM

User image

Nice report!  I am sure Mike and Tom apprecite you dragging their a$$es all over the desert for a hundred miles! 

I thought about this one, we rode in LA tyhat day and froze our butts off, I can't imagine how cold that was out there

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stagecoach Century Rss Feed