United States
Houston Marathon
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 21m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The festivities began on Saturday night with dinner at Luke and Kiley's home. They hosted a very nice carbo load dinner. John (the bear), Angel (mama bear), Sharon (shrona1973) and her friend Jennifer, Clifford and family and Tammy (otrain4). Food was great as well as the company.

Bonnie and I followed Tammy to a downtown hotel room (Thanks Tammy!!!).

In the morning, all three of us woke around 5:00am, got dressed ate, hydrated and walked about 10 mins to the GRB for the race start.

We checked our bags in, hydrated more, emptied our now full tanks and found the start line JUST IN TIME.
Event warmup:

The only warm up we had was the walk to the convention center, then a frantic trot to the start line. We went to the wrong one at first and found our selves in the 1/2 mary line. A quick 1 block run to the correct street and we were on our way. As soon as we entered the back of the LONG line, it began to move and we were on our way.
Run
  • 5h 21m 41s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

At about mile 6 I became claustrophobic (in was crazy crowded), so on an uphill, I moved to the left and hammered. I looked back and did not see Bonnie anymore. We talked and said if we became separated that we would meet at mile 9 (the 1/2 mary turn around), so I just trotted along at seemed like a pretty good pace knowing I would wait for her there. I looked at my Garmin at one point and it said my pace was 7:55 min per mile!! I knew this was way too fast, so I slowed it down, but was still too fast. I figured I would pay for this later, and I did.
At the mile 9 marker, I waited for over 5 mins for Bonnie, I started to get worried that somehow I missed her in the crowd, but then she appeared.
We have done the 1/2 twice, so this was the first time we ran this part of the course.
I knew it was going to be a very long day, so I was taking it easy and slow. By the time we got to mile 14, I was starting to hurt a little.

At mile 15 I told Bonnie I felt dizzy and might need to walk. I was feeling the first part of a bonk!! I had walked through every water station and was hydrated properly, I had eaten a gell at every hour, but it was not enough. about 5 mins later, a woman had a cup full of peeled orange slices!!! I took a few, thanked her (damn near kissed her!) and went on. about 1/2 mile late there were more people with bananas. This totally saved my run!! For the next 10 miles, there were lots of folks with all kinds of food for us. I had pretzels, gummy bears, candy, cookies. I would not have made it without this food.

At mile 18.5, my friend Scott was there cleaning up, he looked very tired.

At mile 22, the Cliff station was there and my friend Rob was a volunteer. It was good to see him, we walked with him for about 45 sec till we reached the portacan. I had the most disgusting energy food combo ever. Black cherry Cliff blocks and a Apple Pie Cliff gell. NEVER DO THIS!!! Trust me!

We stopped at the Houston Racing Triathlon Club hoopla tent for about 5 mins, chatted with all the folks there, ate Oreos and spiced gum drops. Then took off again.

I told Bonnie I needed to walk a few times, she was great about walking with me for 30 sec to a min a few times. I needed it mentally.

The last 5k was very tough. I just wanted to be finished.

Tammy was at the finish line cheering us on, THANKS TAMMY!!!!

Bonnie and I held hands and raised them at the finish line! I then stopped her under the banner and kissed her for a very long time. A few tears fell from my eyes, but quickly mixed with the sweat!

We were done! Our first marathon completed!!!
What would you do differently?:

There is nothing I would do differently, this was my first marathon.
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down.
We went directly to the food court, ate the crappy food, sat at a table and talked about the run with the 6 others there.

We then got our bag, walked for about 15 mins back to the hotel, showered and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I went out slow, it was my first marathon.
We thought we would finish in under 5 hours, and we were close.

Event comments:

Goal was 5 hours or less.
I started my Garmin under the start banner and stopped it under the finish banner. It showed our chip time of 5 hours 21 minutes.
Bonnie did the same thing, but stopped hers at all the stops, hers showed 4 hours 57 minutes. So we had less than 5 hours of run time!!!

We went to Celeste's home for the post party, but most everyone was gone already. Thanks to Celeste for still letting us come over and for feeding us and thanks to Lisa for sticking around!!

Last updated: 2007-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
05:21:41 | 26.2 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: The course was mostly flat with a few under/over passes thrown in for fun.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-16 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Houston Marathon

2007-01-16 12:53 PM
in reply to: #656482

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Houston Marathon
Well, you've finished your first Marathon! Now you're part of a select group.

Sorry we didn't get to meet up.

See you at a race sometime this year.
2007-01-16 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Congratulations, my love!  I'm so glad we could share this great accomplishment together   I'm looking forward to many more adventures with you! 
2007-01-16 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great job Joe! You and Bonnie did great for your first mary! It was great having yall over and hopefully we will get to do it again soon!
2007-01-16 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Nice race report! That's a lot of food! But you definitely needed it.

What a nice finish, eh? That was so sweet....I hope someone took a nice picture of you both. I'll look for it at Brightroom. Maybe they'll use it for next year's Houston Marathon advertisements!

So how are you feeling? It was so  nice meeting you and Mrs. Fish. You guys are great. BTW, has anyone ever told you you look a bit like Arnold Vosloo? He's the High Priest Imhotep from The Mummy.

Hope to run into you and Mrs. Fish at the Houston MS150!!

2007-01-16 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

Congratulations on a job well done!!!  U DA MAN!!!  Wink

Sorry we missed you afterwards, we had a LONG ride home.  We did the drive and sleep relay all the way home.  It was great meeting everyone Saturday night.

Have a wonderful week!!!

2007-01-17 12:50 PM

Master
Houston
Sorry we missed you after! What a great job sticking it out and listening to your body. Congratulations!!!
2007-01-18 7:02 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Great job Joe! That's quite a combo of foods you had going there! Seriously though, congrats on the accomplishment!
2007-01-19 11:10 AM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Check out our finishline video:

http://www.marathonvideo.com/houston2007/video.php?id=5324&view=1

Groping under the finish line banner is the best!

2007-01-19 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great video Joe! You can barely even see me in mine!
2007-01-19 12:04 PM

Master
Houston
FABULOUS!!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Marathon Rss Feed