General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Myth of Hypoxic Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-01-16 2:09 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: The Myth of Hypoxic Swimming
This deserves it's own thread. Text below is pasted from another thread.

I am going to write an article about the myths of "hypoxic drills" because i hate typing it out every time.

People have died doing these drills. There is no physiologic benefit from doing them. The name is a misnomer. If you want to swim uninterupted without worrying about breathing, use a snorkel. I believe the benefit that renee is trying to describe comes from not having your form break down when you roll (or don't roll, or lift your head, or claw your way to the surface) to take a breath.

A far, far better solution is to have someone work with you to learn how to breath properly. The number of strokes you take per breath is irrelevant. There is no right number. YOu need what you need. The body's need for oxygen consumption and getting rid of carbon dioxide is dependent upon how much energy you are using and in what form you are using it (aerobic/anaerbic, etc). When I start my swim warmup, I will frequently swim 7 to 9 strokes without breathing only because I am swimming smoothly, I have not gotten my oxygen consumption up by working hard, I am not generating a lot of waste products due to the low effort. When I have the urge to breath, I breath. When I am doing long endurance sprints, I may breath every 2 strokes. When I am rested and doing a single 25 yard sprint, yes, I can do it with no breaths. But not because I am forcing myself to do it. It is because 15-20 seconds of maximum effort requires little oxygen.

A novice swimmmer who uses all the energy they have just to stay on the surface of the water will need to breath every stroke because of the amount of energy they are using.

Do not play with basic needs of your body.

There is a mantra in Emergency Medical Services:

Air goes in and out,
Blood goes round and round
Pink is good and blue is bad.

That's really all any EMT, Paramedic or Emergency Medicine nurse or physician needs to know. If it's good enough for these professionals, it's good enough for the recreational swimmer.

Air goes in and out.

Don't forget it.

Practice it daily. Frequently. You'll get really good at it.

2007-01-16 3:13 PM
in reply to: #656647

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: The Myth of Hypoxic Swimming

Thinking about it somewhat logically, if hypoxic drills were good for you physiologically during swimming, then they should also help your running and cycling, right?  Don't seem to remember any running or cycling coaches advocating holding your breath during training. 

Used to do hypoxic drills when I was swimming competitively way back when.  Coach always liked to do them at the end of practice and anybody who could do 50M the first time got to leave practice early (I was actually pretty good at it, which is probably why my kids sometimes think I'm brain-damaged today).  Of course that was also back the days when we were forbidden to drink water during 900F summer football workouts lest we get cramps.  

Mark

2007-01-16 3:14 PM

User image

I have to echo this post.  While not necessariily supporting the title, because I am not a coach, the risk of hypoxia and shallow water blackout is very real and very dangerous, especially if swimming alone.  Do a quick search on hypoxia, swimming and shallow water blackout.  It's not something to be taken lightly.  While most of what I've read involves underwater drills, seems it translates easily to being on the surface, expecially since hypoxia comes on without any warning.

[edit - to be clear, yes, i know that shallow water blackout usually involves deliberate hyperventilation, but I still think it applies and believe that people, simply by breathing heard during the rest, can approach a type of hyperventilation]

Edited by ChrisM 2007-01-16 3:27 PM
2007-01-16 3:15 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

thanks adventure - so why do coaches recommend it?

also, any thoughts on how i can improve my lung capacity? gym bunny recommends chest press to open the lungs up, others recommend power breathe thingy, coach obviously likes hypoxic...

btw i do my preventative inhaler as directed and my curative (is that even a word??) as and when, and see my asthma nurse regularly. blah blah... 

2007-01-16 3:29 PM

User image

Master
SMIBville
Competitive age group type coaches recommend it because breathing while sprinting takes time. If you are doing a 50 or 100 yard race, and you are breathing too often, you are gonna go slower. From a coaches perspective to achieve a faster sprint, breathe (heavily) after the race is over. Especially when the race is less than a minute (100), or less than 30 seconds (50).
2007-01-16 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
The way our Master's swim coach put it is that doing these drills help the body learn to tolerate being anaerobic while swimming.

We occasionally do these drills by requiring only a certain number of breaths down the length of the pool. I find that I really elongate the exhilation part of breathing (remove CO2) and try to take a very deep breath when possible. I also minimize my leg movement during these.

Now, I suppose there is some benefit to learning to breathe deeply while swimming. Its good to do while running and biking. Also, for tris, swimming well without legs is good.

All that good stuff aside, I have a hard time seeing the benefit of swimming while in significant oxygen debt. Definitely not fun at all. And from reading the above posts, its dangerous. Maybe it helps the body tolerate being anaerobic. But as a triathlete, that seems not so important.

2007-01-16 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

I agree and would not advise breath-holding drills for any triathlete. 

Even the shortest outdoor sprint is still mostly an aerobic, not anaerobic effort.  And for rec/masters/competitive lap-swimmers, it seems pointless to torture one's own breathing.

Pink skin, happy lungs, and bright red O2-rich blood is good.

2007-01-16 6:12 PM
in reply to: #656944

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Ridgelake - 2007-01-16 4:16 PM

The way our Master's swim coach put it is that doing these drills help the body learn to tolerate being anaerobic while swimming.

We occasionally do these drills by requiring only a certain number of breaths down the length of the pool. I find that I really elongate the exhilation part of breathing (remove CO2) and try to take a very deep breath when possible. I also minimize my leg movement during these.

Now, I suppose there is some benefit to learning to breathe deeply while swimming. Its good to do while running and biking. Also, for tris, swimming well without legs is good.

All that good stuff aside, I have a hard time seeing the benefit of swimming while in significant oxygen debt. Definitely not fun at all. And from reading the above posts, its dangerous. Maybe it helps the body tolerate being anaerobic. But as a triathlete, that seems not so important.

Your masters swim coach is simply mis-informed. What is happening in the body is a buildup of Carbon Dioxide, not a lack of O2. The reason that a long slow breath postpones the urge to breath is that you are slowly purging your system of the built up CO2.

In addition to being dangers, they are misnamed. Thus, the second myth of hypoxic swimming is that it is a misnomer. It should be called hyper-carbic swimming. Hyper carbia can kill you.

Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Pink is good, blue is bad.

Edit: You train your body to tolerate being anaerobic by performing intervals at your lactate threshold pace for swimming, not by holding your breath. The swimming lactate threshold pace, also known as T-pace can be determined by several different protocols that help you determine the pace at which you can sustain a prolonged effort, much like the 20 minute time trial tests for running & swimming.

I have seen protocols using 100 yd, 300yd and 1000yd repeats to determine your 100yd T-pace, which is then used in your swim workouts as interval sets.

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-01-16 6:15 PM
2007-01-16 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
A few weeks ago I was doing some research on this when someone asked about hypoxic sets and another thing that I found in the research (and couldn't find again today) is that your blood pH is affected by the build up of CO2. The article didn't go into much detail besides the fact that it was observable - and blood pH is something that you don't want to mess with.

As far as working without O2 - it is your body's ability to absorb O2 into the cells that is the limiting factor in aerobic energy pathways, not O2 availability (unless of course you stop breathing for extended periods of time).

Shane
2007-01-16 6:26 PM

User image

Elite
AdventureBear is right. Thanks for the post.
2007-01-16 6:30 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm actually following ChrisM's advice and doing some google scholar searches on this topic. there are a few interesting items, and I plan to bring all the information together into one place. But if you don't add stuff like "-fish, -rats, -oysters, -mice" to your search terms, the first few pages are all about hypoxic swimming in rainbow trout. How do they teach fish to hold their breath???

This search term gives you some interesting abstracts, although it seems you can find an abstract to support any point you'd like to make. Scrutiny of the study methods adn testing protocol would be needed to compare each study to the other:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=Controlled+Frequency+...

Here is a nice concise abstract on the topic:

Respiratory and heart rate responses to tethered controlled frequency breathing swimming.

Dicker SG, Lofthus GK, Thornton NW, Brooks GA.

The purpose of this study was to investigate the respiratory and heart rate (fH) responses to tethered controlled frequency breathing (CFB) swimming. Controlled frequency breathing swimming is an aquatic training technique in which ventilatory rate is voluntarily reduced in order to induce systemic hypoxia during training. Nine elite college swimmers experienced with CFB were studied. The tethered swimming tests were discontinuous, with 4 min work bouts interspersed with equal duration rest periods. The resisting forces during tethered swimming were 5.63, 6.82, and 7.95 kg. Each subject was tested breathing every two (control), three, four, and five arm strokes. Subjects performed all four breathing frequencies at a constant arm stroke rate of 30/min during freestyle swimming. As ventilatory volume decreased due to CFB, O2 extraction and estimated tidal volume significantly increased (P less than .05) to maintain a constant O2 consumption for a given workload. Carbon dioxide production, respiratory exchange ratio, and fH did not change significantly in response to CFB. Estimated alveolar partial pressure of O2 (PAO2) decreased and PACO2 increased significantly during CFB. However, estimated saturation of arterial blood with O2 (SAO2) was essentially undiminished during CFB. These responses do not indicate hypoxia, but rather hypercapnia during CFB.

Edited by AdventureBear 2007-01-16 6:39 PM

2007-01-16 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts

thanks adventure - so why do coaches recommend it?

also, any thoughts on how i can improve my lung capacity? gym bunny recommends chest press to open the lungs up, others recommend power breathe thingy, coach obviously likes hypoxic...

btw i do my preventative inhaler as directed and my curative (is that even a word??) as and when, and see my asthma nurse regularly. blah blah... 

Regarding Lung Capacity...Total Lung Capacity---this is the number (or actually volume) of air your lungs can hold. This cannot be measured without special equipment. There is NO device, NO excercise or special technique to improve your lung capacity.  Basically once you have grown to your adult height..it is set...and if you dont cause any injury or are prone to developing emphysema, you lose about an ounce (30ml) of TLC a year due to aging.

FEV--This is Forced expiratory volume and FEV1 is Forced expiratory volume in 1 sec..This is a measure of how much air you can exhale in total or in 1 second. This is a much easier number to measure and is much more practical to apply.. In Asthma this is affected.  Inhalers (bronchodilators) and other asthma meds can attempt to normalize or maximize your potential FEV and FEV1.  Again Devices, Machines, excercise cannot help this.

And back to the original point of the thread....there is no role for hypoxic training. I urge anyone to really question their coach regarding this if they reccommend it as part of your training.

JT

2007-01-16 7:58 PM
in reply to: #656784

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
RedCorvette - 2007-01-16 3:13 PM

Don't seem to remember any running or cycling coaches advocating holding your breath during training. 

Actually, Emile Zatopek (Czech runner that won the 5,000 m, 10,000 m, and marathon titles at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki) used to experiment with holding his breath while running short intervals.  Not sure how extensively he used the method though.  You don't hear of any modern coaches advocating it.

2007-01-16 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

So then, what is the optimum number of strokes between breathing to keep your stroke efficient, without endangering yourself?

I know I try to breathe every 4-5 strokes, but when I get tired after the first few laps, I always resort to every 2-3 strokes.

2007-01-16 8:23 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Point taken from the abstract suggesting that hypocapnic is a better word for the breath exercises than is the misnomer hypoxic. A true hypoxic state is not what any swimmer ought to be trying to achieve.

On the other hand, I can see how there is a practical use for exercises that teach you to hold your breath without panicking (let's call them hypocapnic).  Certainly in open water swimming.  During a race, a swimmer might have her breathing rhythm interrupted by waves, splashing of other swimmers, getting temporarily pulled under, or any other number of disruptions.  I know I certainly want to have at least a little practice in swimming at times where my regular 2-beat or 3-beat breath is interrupted.

My coach has us occasionally practice altering our breathing rates during slow swimming. We'll do a 25 breathing every 3 strokes, 25 breathing every 5, then 7, then (theoretically) 9.  I have felt that I've benefited from the few times I've done this exercise.  After this exercise, my breath uptake is deeper and more efficient during my regular swim.  I'm also working at desensitizing myself to the feeling of fear I associate with missing my normal breathing rhythm.

2007-01-16 8:46 PM
in reply to: #657115

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
dredwards - 2007-01-16 9:23 PM

On the other hand, I can see how there is a practical use for exercises that teach you to hold your breath without panicking (let's call them hypocapnic).  Certainly in open water swimming.  During a race, a swimmer might have her breathing rhythm interrupted by waves, splashing of other swimmers, getting temporarily pulled under, or any other number of disruptions.  I know I certainly want to have at least a little practice in swimming at times where my regular 2-beat or 3-beat breath is interrupted.

Just come to my pool and try sharing lanes with some of the people there.  Some of them do such weird things with their stroke or kick that they will send a wave of water up and over my head.  I know when I am sharing a lane with any of them and when we are passing each other to hold my breath a few extra strokes.  LOL!

2007-01-16 9:52 PM
in reply to: #657023

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
AdventureBear - 2007-01-16 6:30 PM

I'm actually following ChrisM's advice and doing some google scholar searches on this topic. there are a few interesting items, and I plan to bring all the information together into one place. But if you don't add stuff like "-fish, -rats, -oysters, -mice" to your search terms, the first few pages are all about hypoxic swimming in rainbow trout. How do they teach fish to hold their breath???

Staple their gills shut.

Or remove all the dissolved O's from a tank.

Just guessing...
2007-01-16 10:10 PM
in reply to: #657100

User image

Veteran
Land o' the Red Man
Birkierunner - 2007-01-16 7:58 PM

RedCorvette - 2007-01-16 3:13 PM

Don't seem to remember any running or cycling coaches advocating holding your breath during training. 

Actually, Emile Zatopek (Czech runner that won the 5,000 m, 10,000 m, and marathon titles at the 1952 Olympics in Helsinki) used to experiment with holding his breath while running short intervals.  Not sure how extensively he used the method though.  You don't hear of any modern coaches advocating it.

But passing out and breaking your nose is different than passing out and dying.
2007-01-16 10:20 PM
in reply to: #657113

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
kapinto - 2007-01-16 7:20 PM

So then, what is the optimum number of strokes between breathing to keep your stroke efficient, without endangering yourself?

I know I try to breathe every 4-5 strokes, but when I get tired after the first few laps, I always resort to every 2-3 strokes.

I think this varies.  A lot of people breathe every 2.  Me, I feel like I get more oxygen when I breathe every 3.  If 4 or 5 works for you, then stick with it.   I think the point is that you should breathe when you need it.   You body should be telling you when you need air.  

2007-01-17 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Great post AdventureBear!

She's not kidding folks, I know someone who died as a result of (it's assumed) doing hypoxic exercises in a pool.

Want to use less oxygen/energy when swimming? Swim more. Do some drills and become more efficient in the way you interact with the water. That you can improve.

2007-01-17 9:05 AM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

One more minor point not touched on yet.  If your goal is to improve speed and efficiency make sure your technique for breathing is something you work on.  I thought I was doing ok at this and then learned how to do it better.  I'm a long way from perfect, but I have prioritized proper breathing technique over breathing less often in order to increase efficiency.  It seems to me that this should be the triathletes priority until we start doing tris with 50M or 100M swims.

2007-01-17 9:14 AM
in reply to: #657427

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well I tried this in the pool last night and went from breathing every 2 strokes to breathing 3 times through the course of the pool and I will admit it did make me faster over 25 meters. I was able to get from 1:04 to 1:02 and considering I felt like I was going to pass out after it I felt it was not worth it at all. Adventure bear is right I need oxygen.

Being the fact we like to swim between .5 - 2.4 miles at a time during races I would think we would not want to get used to anabolic swimming since doesn't that hurt our swimming endurance and not to mention the bike or the run.
2007-01-17 9:34 AM
in reply to: #656809

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
dck4shrt - 2007-01-16 3:29 PM

Competitive age group type coaches recommend it because breathing while sprinting takes time. If you are doing a 50 or 100 yard race, and you are breathing too often, you are gonna go slower. From a coaches perspective to achieve a faster sprint, breathe (heavily) after the race is over. Especially when the race is less than a minute (100), or less than 30 seconds (50).

That's what I thought, and was coached on this back in the day, that it's a speed drill more than anything else.

But none of us are doing 50M competitive swim races, we're endurance athletes.

Thx for the post Adventure.

2007-01-17 9:58 AM
in reply to: #657468

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

chirunner134 - 2007-01-17 10:14 AM Adventure bear is right I need oxygen. 

That's because she is a doctor, is smart, and knows those things. 

2007-01-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #657569

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
RedCorvette - 2007-01-17 8:58 AM

chirunner134 - 2007-01-17 10:14 AM Adventure bear is right I need oxygen.

That's because she is a doctor, is smart, and knows those things.

Blush.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Myth of Hypoxic Swimming Rss Feed  

of 3