Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2007-09-13 6:24 PM
in reply to: #661167

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
Should I be worried that I didn't receive my email yet?  I checked at the site and I am definitely registered.  Can't wait.  Julie

2007-09-13 6:32 PM

User image

Veteran

Here's the link:

http://www.timberlinetiming.com/index.cfm?action=dspClientHome&clientid=1&showBanner=1

Click on "Search Roster Data"  put in your name and it will give you your bib number.  Also you might want to check out the race website.  There are a few changes in the parking from last year.  And it sounds like they will be giving out some freebies at the expo - woohoo. 

I'm hoping to get in a short OWS in the morning to get a little practice in the wet suit.  Then a short bike and run and I'm done!!!  I think I starting to get a excited.

2007-09-13 7:28 PM
in reply to: #964179

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
Thank you kindly.
2007-09-13 7:30 PM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
I am bib 750. Only two more days.  Yipee.
2007-09-13 8:11 PM
in reply to: #964215

User image

Veteran
Delaware

Hey ladies,

I checked and I am bib 1061.  Have any of you met up with bt-ers in the past?  how will we know each other??

I cant believe it's in 3 days!! agh!!

2007-09-13 9:51 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Do you want to plan to meet up the morning before the race.  We tried this at Iron Girl and had some success.  We could plan for 6 a.m. in transition where the run exit is.  What do you think???

2007-09-13 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
That was my post above about meeting race morning.  Didn't realize hubby was logged on  - ooops!!!!
2007-09-14 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
that sounds good, expo day, the mosc clan will be there wearing PWTM shirts, easy to pick out!
2007-09-14 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

teh mosc's and our entourage will be wearing light blue t-shirts at the expo with dark bold letters, PWTM across the top - if you see us - say hi! we may ask you to sign the shirt, so have a witty or inspiring saying handy - we'll have sharpies - i think.

2007-09-14 10:31 AM

User image

Veteran

All right gang!!!  The last bricklette workout is in the books - even got in a quickie OWS to get the feel for the wetsuit again.  Nothing left but packing, driving and racing - wooohooo.  We are out of here this evening - I hope to be able to meet up with at least some you at registration or at the race.  I think I'll wear my Ryka Iron Girl shirt to registration. 

If I don't get to see you I hope every one has a GREAT day on Sunday!!!!  Brenda

2007-09-14 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Chester, NY

Ok, so I have most of your numbers, last year they marked us at packet pick up and then again the next morning.  I feel like such a bad a%% when I have numbers written on my arm.  I don't know what I will be wearing, but I will be the one randomly yelling out names ... "Brenda...Mary...Nora...Jen...Carol...Geraldine...Janet...Lucinda...Sarah...Kristin...Karen"  I think that is all of us.  I should at least draw some attention. 

BTW - not to sound ignorant, but what does PWTM stand for?

See you tomorrow.  J

2007-09-14 11:38 AM
in reply to: #964999

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
jlorusso - 2007-09-14 12:20 PM

Ok, so I have most of your numbers, last year they marked us at packet pick up and then again the next morning.  I feel like such a bad a%% when I have numbers written on my arm.  I don't know what I will be wearing, but I will be the one randomly yelling out names ... "Brenda...Mary...Nora...Jen...Carol...Geraldine...Janet...Lucinda...Sarah...Kristin...Karen"  I think that is all of us.  I should at least draw some attention. 

BTW - not to sound ignorant, but what does PWTM stand for?

See you tomorrow.  J

Phenomenal Woman, That's Me!

2007-09-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #965031

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
2007-09-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #964999

User image

Jules and all the other BTs:

I will be wearing a white T-shirt that says TeamToyota....Engines of Change (#897) and black sweatpants. I will most likely have a ponytail.

Here is a link to my profile in Toyota so you can see my picture.

http://www.toyotaenginesofchange.com/Page646.aspx

2007-09-14 12:04 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Hi ladies!
I'm #1205 (and my best friend is 1206 - how cool is that?!) We'll do our best to be there by 6 ... can't wait to meet you all!
If for some reason we don't meet up - know I'll be thinking of you all during the race! GO GET 'EM! WE CAN DO THIS!
Crossing that finish line is one of the best feelings I've ever had. And remember ... "The woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes the race!"
GOOD LUCK!!!!

- Sarah
2007-09-14 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

i'm bib #878

(last year i was 1496)

2007-09-14 12:43 PM

User image

Master
NJ
ooh!! So excited now! Gonna be chilly but nice! Im #893 - I'll be the one with 2 small kids and a bored looking husband at the expo - then it's off to the beach to retrieve my wetsuit... Have a great race everyone if we don't meet up at the expo - there are going to be about 100 women from the Summit YMCA competing too - 101 Singular Sensations. . . some newbies and some veterans also. Lots of women pushing themselves to be healthy and strong! GO US!
2007-09-14 1:07 PM
in reply to: #965153

User image

Regular
Chester, NY
That was me last year.  My husband opted out this year, so my fan base is slightly down this year.  But it is going to be a fun weekend for mommy with no kids.  Woo Hoo!!
2007-09-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: #965206

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

jlorusso - 2007-09-14 2:07 PM That was me last year.  My husband opted out this year, so my fan base is slightly down this year.  But it is going to be a fun weekend for mommy with no kids.  Woo Hoo!!

hey, we'll have fans a-plenty - duly instructed to cheer for any and all phenomenal women they see, and that means you! and you, and you, and you....

i'll have my daughter with me at the expo - so there'll be a bored 6 year old needing attention during all that tri-talk, fer shure!

2007-09-14 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
While I was packing I remember how BAD the mosquitos were in the morning.  Thought I'd send out a heads up just incase any one wants to throw some bug spray in their bag.  It might not be so bad this year 'cause I think it gonna be darn chilly (brrrrr).  But I'm bringing bug spray just incase!!!!
2007-09-14 7:57 PM
in reply to: #965334

User image

Veteran
Delaware

OK, I had an insane day at work today so I am catching up now:

PWTM - that is such a great t-shirt.  I'm sure I 'll find the Mosc ladies.

I'm game for meeting up at 6AM in the transition area.  I'm staying in Asbury Park ('cuz the expo was there last year - but they moved it!crap!) and will leave the hotel by 5AM, so I will hopefully be in the T area by 6.  I'll also be at the expo tomorrow AM.  I plan to go to the 10:30 course overview and stick around for the 11:15 first timers' talk by Sally Edwards.  I did the relay last year so I am kinda familiar, but since I'm doing my first solo - I'm going to attend again. 

I wrote down all the numbers and so will keep an eye out for all of you! If I don't hook up with anyone, GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE BT LADIES! !  WE ROCK!!  WOO HOO!! 

2007-09-15 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good luck tomorrow, Y'all!!  
2007-09-15 9:27 AM

User image

Expert

Good luck tomorrow everyone!

Here's what I posted about the race last year- I did it 2003-2005 (2003 was my first ever race- I finished Ironman Lake Placid this July) and was a swim angel last year (and may do it again this year- at any rate I'll be there tomorrow)

QUOTE]oceanannie - 2006-09-15 10:14 PM

After you do the expo thing, I would highly recommend that you drive to Sandy Hook and see the park. You won't be able to get to the transition area and swim start/finish area as it's on the Coast Guard base, but still try to find them. In Fort Hancock, you'll want to go past officer's row, staying by the bay. You may want to stop by the visitor's center (old lifesaving station) to get a map of the park, especially if friends/family will be arriving after you on race day morning, though certainly supplies are limited. I did not send you there

After you get done with that, you may want to travel north on 36 through Highlands to Mount Mitchell which is a county park that is at the highest point on the Eastern Seaboard south of Maine-if it isn't foggy there are incredible views of Sandy Hook, Brooklyn, the Verrazano Bridge, and lower Manhattan though the park is usually closed at night. Take 36 north and there will be a turnoff by an ice cream place, just before Stewart's and a convenience store. Just follow the signs. If you pass it, you can cut through the shopping plaza that has a CVS? and a post office.

As far as race day morning get there early! Repeat get there early! Regardless of what mapquest and the like might say, figure it will take at least 20 minutes from the time you enter the park to the time you park. Then you have to walk to the transition area, which is another 5-10 minutes perhaps depending on where they make you park. In past years, there have then been long line to get into the Coast Guard base (the entrance should be by the cannon right near officer's row) as they had to check off everyone's name and possibly wanted to see a race number- you need to confirm that tomorrow and that has taken a while in the past. Then find a slot on the row for your race number and get set up. You may want to get on the massive line for the porta potties at this time as it will only get worse. For the swim, they will probably have more than one wave of certain colors so don't get too caught up in just the color. And when they call your wave please make sure to go over the timing mat when they call your name as if you don't you won't have any times.

When your wave gets to go into the water for the start, get your body into the water at least to your neck. It's probably like waist-high but you need to get your entire body used to the water ahead of time. It should be low 70s and you don't need a wetsuit if you don't have one, but you still need to get used to the water temperature. The course is basically an out and back. Just follow the banners in as your guide when you come back in. The water should be pretty calm. If you need to grab onto something to take a break, us swim angels will be there as well as the lifeguards.

When you get out of the water, it is a couple hundred yards or so run to the transition area. From what I remember it was maybe a bit rough (like some rocks or something) but nothing too bad. I've ran through much worse. You will then get on the bike. Watch the bike exit by the gate as the pavement is rough there (they want to stop terrorists from attacking the base I guess). The course is basically flat. There are a couple of short easy inclines that maybe go up 5 feet or so, but most of you probably won't see them if there are any hills where you live. There is usually a lot of wind on the course, especially towards the park entrance as Sandy Hook isn't very wide there. There are some great views out that way- be sure to take a look. In past years, the wind has been such that you have had a tailwind going out to the park entrance, making the first half fast and then headed into some tough headwinds coming back. It is also possibly that the wind direction could be reversed or there could be a sidewind or little wind at all since I'm not racing So just be prepared and don't get too excited or too disappointed with the first half of your split time as things can change a lot.

That being said, on the way back, once the divided road comes together again heading back to Fort Hancock (when you drive the course on Saturday as you need to do, you'll see what I mean) there are about 3 short "climbs"- these are not real hills, just bumps in the road that may go up 5 feet max- nothing to be concerned about and you may not even notice them. But these parts (and there is a least one slight decent after at least one of them) are places where you can pass people who are not as familiar with the course, especially on the "downhill". This is why you need to drive the course and possibly ride the first couple miles or so of the bike course to see what I mean. I took full advantage of this area in the past and was able to pass people because of that

The run course is flat but mostly in the sun. You will want some wind here. You should go by the lighthouse which started operating in like 1764 and is the oldest continuously operated lighthouse in the US. You will finish in the middle of Fort Hancock.

Good luck everyone! Make BT proud. Just don't quit during the race; focus on finishing as that will be the victory for just about all of you on Sunday! If you have any questions, just let me know.
2007-09-15 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
All I can say is that I hope this wind lays down for tomorrow.
2007-09-15 6:09 PM
in reply to: #966055

User image

Thanks for the advice.

Great to meet everyone today at the expo. See you all tomorrow morning.

Everyone is going to have a great race and a great day! The Mosc sisters and company which includes our Mom, are probably going to mark our bodies with PWTM. It has been our mantra and after Sally's awesome speech today everyone is phenomenal and should celebrate their accomplishment for the training they've done and the committment they've made to this cause and to their health.

You Go Girlfriend!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 4