United States
Houston Marathon Committee
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 54m 38s
Overall Rank = 5785/
Age Group = 45
Age Group Rank = 3114/
Pre-race routine:

We got the boys settled at Ma and Pa's with a full schedule of 4 basketball activities for the day. We had a good trip to Houston. The expo was fun. It's the only place I like to shop. We got some goodies. I signed up for the Mardi Gras Whole and BEAR signed up for the half-he's already done the whole. Went check in our motel and took a short nap. We went to Kiley's and Luke's for a BT supper and get together. We had a great time. Thanks for having us over!!

After a restless night, the neighbors had a lot of 'drunk' company and they were very loud all night. We got up early. I ate, went outside to check the weather, dressed, and went load some stuff in the car. While I was downstairs, BEAR had an interesting visitor in our room. He needs to tell you all about it... IT was too funny!!! We tried to check out of the motel, but the cleaning lady couldn't get the front entry door open, so she came outside from the back and tried to communicate with us. We gave her our keys and asked her to let the front desk know we'd checked out. (I called when we finished the race, they had checked us out.)
Event warmup:

We got to the race site. We found Sharon and started the bathroom shuffle. While we were in line we saw Bonnie and Tammy. We were in line a little too long because the race started before we went outside. We ran to the race start. We were sweating before we crossed the start mat.
Run
  • 2h 54m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1 and 2- 25:18
Mile 3-13:17
Mile 1-13:58
Mile 5-13:25
Mile 6-13.29
Mile 7-13.23
Mile 8-13:38
Mile 9-14:31
Mile 10 and 11-26:59
Mile 12-13:01
Mile 13-12:36
Mile 13.2-1:02

The start was very crowded, then we climbed bridges. UGH! BEAR, Sharon, and I tried to stay together but it didn't last long. I caught up with them a couple of times by running. BEAR warned me that I'd have trouble keeping up that fast pace for the whole 13.1 miles. So, I slowed down and enjoyed myself. I've learned a long time ago that walking races are personal endeavors and to go with the flow. I threaded through many people and never looked back. I did enjoy seeing the mass of people in front of me. {It's wonderful to see so many people doing half marathons and marathons.} I'd focussed on someone ahead of me and try to pass them up. This worked great. Of course, many passed me back. It was fun to set my sights on a few individuals and watch us play the passing game.

Inspirational sightings:
1. A lady with a prostethic lower left leg. She and her friend passed me often. We shouldn't complain about our aches and pains.
2. The older group are always fun to watch, one lady in front of me was interviewed several times along the route by a 'running' camera man.
3. The blind teen led by his parents. I passed them at mile 11 and stopped to give words of encouragement.
4. Many TNT people. Talked to a spectator who's young son was in a purple jersey on his bike. His father said he was a survivor! He was on the sidelines at 2 different spots.
5. Met a lady walking for Autism. We talked awhile. I taught an Autistic class years ago. {I learned more that year than all my years of teaching put together.}

Other sightings:
1. Encourage many as I walked along. I told one EMT on the bike that 2 people behind me were struggling at mile 8. The girl behind me looked like she was ready to pass out, I was hoping she wouldn't because I'd had to stop to help her. AREN'T I CRUEL!
2. The spectators and volunteers did a good job of cheering everyone on and high fiving us along the way.
3. One area had townhouses painted in rainbow colors, it was pretty.
4. The men in PJ's cheering us on was too cute.
5. The lady with the big bird slippers rocking and cheering for us.
6. Many people had their dogs as spectators and there were many little babies also
7. The man humming the Rocky theme song loudly and thoroughly enjoying himself.
8. Meeting the marathoners and watching them 'fly' by us.

The best part of the race was when I was coming out of a potty around Mile 8. I walked out and BEAR was there going in. We both laughed, hugged, and grabbed a quick kiss then went our separate ways. He was on the way up from the turn around.

After the turn around, the time flew by. I ate almonds and pretzels along the route. I enjoyed the scenery, crowd, music, and people. At one point, when I quit people chasing, I counted steps in between road lines. I wore my headphones throughout the race in my right ear and as usual Dylan did a good job loading my MP3 player with fast music which tends to make me move faster. Thanks Dylan!!!

It was cool running downtown-the clouds were low hanging around all the buildings. I knew the end was near. I ran up the finish line stretch smiling all the way. Then after I crossed the finish line, I felt like throwing up. Thankfully, I didn't.

{I always take a sip of gatorade and a couple of sips of water at each drink area. This was a personal best for me so I was excited.}
What would you do differently?:

No fanny pack or pack it lighter-it weighs a ton. I always try to be prepared for anything along the way. My pants pockets were also full by the end of this walk. Holly said my pants pockets looked like chipmunk cheeks. I had gloves, raincoats, ear warmers, camera, phone, and water (from the end of the race) in my pockets.
Post race
Warm down:

I went inside. Met up with BEAR and Holly. Picked up our shirts. We got in the food line with Sharon and ate like a pig. We visited a while then went to Celeste's BT get together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am a walker. I 'jiggle' when I run, so I don't run.

Event comments:

Fun and very organized race. It started raining when I got to Mile 13. I was so glad it didn't rain on us earlier.

We went to Celeste's house for another BT get together and met more BTer's. It was fun, but we were tired. We left early and took turns driving and sleeping all the way home.

{Oh yeah other Bter's were missed this weekend. Uhhh...Laurie, Derek, Haley, Aaron, Bill, Brant, and Mrs. Brandt. Wish you could have joined us!}

Last updated: 2007-01-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:54:38 | 13.1 miles | 13m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-20 3:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: Houston Half Marathon

2007-01-20 6:39 PM
in reply to: #661794

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Houston Half Marathon
Good job enjoying "your race" and being comfortable with your situation. Sometimes when it's all about PRs and the competition, you tend to caught up in that and miss the other things.

Too bad we didn't meet this time, one day I'll meet you and BEAR at a race in the future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Half Marathon Rss Feed