General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat-burning zone and why it is not the best way to burn fat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-01-22 7:22 AM

New user

Subject: Fat-burning zone and why it is not the best way to burn fat
Just read this article at Peak Performance, and thought it would be interesting to this forum: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0690.htm

The title is "Metabolism: You do have a 'fat-burning zone', but do you really want to go there to burn off fat?". It examines the concept of using low-intensity long-duration workouts to maximize fat loss. Reached conclusion is that an overall daily calorie deficit is a better way to lose fat, and that a greater calorie deficit is reached through moderate-intensity exercise. During moderate-intensity exercise fat burning is not optimal, but number of calories expended is greater than during low-intensity exercise, which better helps to maintain an overall caloric deficit.

Reasoning, examples, and citations are given, which is always nice to see.

Sunburnt

2007-01-22 1:53 PM
in reply to: #662940

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Fat-burning zone and why it is not the best way to burn fat
the only problem I see is they choice long distance cyclists for been training for over 3 years. I wonder if the people who burn fat at a higher rate are people who been training longer than other ones. If I am not mistaked the idea of training is to train your body to use your fat stores more than your carb stores.

2007-01-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #662940

New user

Subject: RE: Fat-burning zone and why it is not the best way to burn fat
I agree with your skepticism about the study subject selection, but not for the same reason. Athletes in the study have been endurance athletes for at least three years, which is a long time to be training compared to beginners. A lot of the physiological adaptations associated with endurance training that have not occurred in beginners have had a long time to happen and become the norm for those athletes. Do they burn more fat when they exercise? Maybe. But that is not the question the study attempted to answer. The study measured the interval of exertion at which fat burning is at its maximum regardless of the actual amount of fat burnt. The empirical amount of fat burnt per individual was not determined.

The study found that the fat-burning interval (or zone) varies quite a bit among the athletes tested and that it also varies because of other factors--amount of carbs consumed being one of them. The point you brought up made me question whether a group of beginners carrying extra weight would show the same variability of fat-burning zone range. It could very well have turned out that a group of couch potatoes starting out would have a very consistent FBZ range. The article does not address this point, so I guess it is geared at a more advanced athlete.

This brings up a point that I get snagged on repeatedly while researching fitness and exercise. Studies and, more importantly, advice out there is based on assumptions that a person has a certain level of fitness or a certain skill. Most of the time these assumptions are not stated, which can lead the person following this advice down the wrong path or, at worst, to injury. (I can give several examples if anyone is interested.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat-burning zone and why it is not the best way to burn fat Rss Feed