General Discussion Triathlon Talk » total immersion swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-05 7:33 PM

Subject: total immersion swimming
not sure if anyone else is using the TI program but i wanted to give it some major props. i got the book which was okay but the video has made a huge difference - fishlike freestyle. i basically watched it a couple times and quickly worked through the drills and easy stroking over a week or two (i think its recommended you take a lot longer but im not that patient). anyways - a few weeks later and the techniques have done the trick. i used to be able to run for a couple hours, ride for up to eight hours and swim about two laps. now i can swim for 30 mins without stopping no prob and ive been doing 1.5-2hr swim workout w/o feeling even vaguely tired when im done. my HR, obv big for long tri's, is about 120-130 when im swimming, i used to be way above lactate after a couple lengths. TI focuses alot on body positioning in the water and minimizing stroke count. TI is to swimming what powertap is to the bike. neither of these companies are paying me for props i promise

2004-01-05 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3215

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: total immersion swimming
Well I have the book but haven't started reading it yet. I was wondering if I should get the video. Sounds like I might as well. Great job on improving your swim. I would imagine your stroke count went way down? I have been getting better but hopefully the TI method will help in that area. Thanks for the report.
2004-01-06 1:22 AM
in reply to: #3217

User image

Expert
England
The book arrived this morning and while I only flicked a few pages through - guess what ......almost no pictures!!!!!! Not sure I'll get much without some decent illustrations but will sit down and have a look tonight. I have my first official swimming lesson in 25 years tonight so maybe that will help as well?
2004-01-06 2:03 AM
in reply to: #3225

i was disappointed with the lack of pics in the original book as well. the video, like i said, is great. the tri book is also pretty good and it had more pics than the first edition they put out. hope your lesson went well - good luck!
2004-01-06 2:06 AM
in reply to: #3217

my stroke count has definitely dropped a lot - theres a big ramp down after the first few times in the pool using TI and then it sort of plateaus and you need to work a bit harder. im usually around 15-16 strokes per 25 yd length during longer intervals but ive been as low as 11-12 when trying to be super "slippery". its brilliant and very very economical. i hope it works well for you too.
2004-01-06 5:38 AM

Hey guys I don't know what this TI book is that you're all talking about, but it does sound interesting, is it worth it for me though? I have been a competitive swimmer (when I was younger) and swimming is my strongest event. Is this book more for beginners? What's the secret in stroke count anway? I mean is it simply stretching out your strokes each length and trying to reduce the number you take? Another area to work on is your breathing, breath alternate sides and your body will be more even.

Anyhow, good swimming to all and I'm left wondering....

2004-01-06 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3228

User image

Expert
England
........TI is Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin (or similar) and there's loads of info on his website/Amazon etc. I think it's for all abilities and focuses on a 'slippery' technique to maximise efficiency in the water.
2004-01-06 9:20 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
I would go to totalimmersion.com and download the quicktime video clips, so you can see a taste of what efficient swimming looks like.

My buddy is loaning me his book and video. But, really ... with the articles at the website and newletter, there's can't be that much in the book that's not covered at the website. There's not *that* much to it.

It's not that hard to catch on to. I was glad that I had not swum freestyle much, so I did not have any bad habits to unlearn. The only obstacle I had to overcome was getting comfortable in the water. That doesn't take long.

My advice other than the videos is to increase the frequency of swims, rather than length of swims ... especially early on.

TotalImmersion is just one way to swim. There are others, but the guidelines of each are similar.
2004-01-06 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
I think the web address is totalimmersion.net.
2004-01-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3250

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: The complete web address is needed...
www.totalimmersion.net
2004-01-07 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
TI works very well and I incorporate their methodology into the clinics and private lessons I run for triathletes. I like their books and videos but found that they don't have an actual plan in place for training for a specific race.
Last year I developed The Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming, an "ebook" with guidelines for swim training, a strength training program, and a 12-week plan for an Olympic Distance race. You can see more at www.triswimcoach.com.

Cheers,
Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » total immersion swimming Rss Feed