Polar Bear Run
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 52s
Overall Rank = 105/1373
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/44
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and got dressed and ate a bananna prior to leaving for the race.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching and tried to stay warm.
Run
  • 21m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first time doing the Polar Bear Run and I thought it was put on very well. The race course was 1.5 laps on surface streets. I was able to start out at the front of the pack and get a good pace going right off the bat. During the first mile my right thigh started to tighten up and hurt a little bit but not too bad. The hardest part was getting the lungs adapted to the cold air as I haven't run in very cold weather this season. Got to mile 1 and was please to be under 7 minutes a mile. Got some water at the water station and as always had to walk to drink it. Finished the race strong, myself and another gentlemen both pushed one another to a sprint finish. Was very pleased with my time and the race overall. Race was very well organized, the route was clearly marked and free of cars, volunteers were very helpful, and the finish line was very energenic and the refreshements and food were perfect. I really enjoyed this run and will definitly include it on my race calander next year.
What would you do differently?:

Stretch a little more prior to the race to get more warmed up for the cold climate.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some light stretching and walking around. Got some water too and then walked back to the finish line and waited for my sister to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not stretching enough, pain in right thigh and cold air, but overall I am very pleased with my time.

Event comments:

Very good 5k race, had a lot of fun and was impressed by the organization of the race. Would recommend it to anyone in the area.

Last updated: 2007-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:52 | 03.1 miles | 07m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/44
Overall: 105/1373
Performance: Good
Course: One and a half loop course with some very minor inclines. Water station at about the half way mark. Mile Splits were called out at each mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-27 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Polar Bear Run - 5K

2007-01-27 5:12 PM
in reply to: #669619

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Polar Bear Run - 5K

Nice, fast race!

Yeah, warming up for a shorter run during January would be helpful (performance and injury avoidance).  Take it easy tommorow and allow those leg muscles to recover - you earned the rest!!

2007-02-02 12:00 PM
in reply to: #669619

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Polar Bear Run - 5K
Great race. I hope the thigh pain doesn't become a chronic thing. Good luck with the rest of your winter training.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Polar Bear Run - 5K Rss Feed