register. pick up tshirt. potty.
Event warmup:

walk, stretch.
Run
  • 36m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

yi. This was NUTHIN' like the X-country race I did at the same location in November '05. WE went the other way on the other side of the park and most of the "trail running" was actually in meadows. This one used the actual off road bike trails- the Black Diamond Trails.
Out over to Moonscape, Rollercoaster, and then some of Sand Pine and back on a sand bailout. Yi... It had rained the previous night and so it was all wet and slippery and well, scary. I hit the half way point at bout 20 minutes and was all like, WTF?? I should of wore gloves too. Lots of grabbing. I almost face planted myself right at the end where I wasn't looking and stubbed a palmetto root. This trail runnin' is hard stuff, I never get to train on them. oh...my... It was fun, definitely a challenge, and I"ll probably do it again.
What would you do differently?:

train better and wear better shoes. The road running shoes, yes, it is very different, like fat tires and road tires. My footing was very slippery.
Post race
Warm down:

breathe. Waited for Adam to finish, and then searched for an ice bag for him, played nursemaid, got him nasty HEED and a nanner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of trail running experience.

Event comments:

Good things: courses clearly marked and just a slight bottleneck due to a slow runner who we all passed at the next available opening. Course was clearly marked.
Bad things: should of had folks out on the course with radios to assist the numerous folks who were falling, we saw someone get taken back on a ranger cart, and there were no med personnel around, save for a group of Sheriff's Dept guys who raced the 5K, so they got him out and on the massage table and watied for medics to come. I was wondering why they had his feet crossed before after about three minutes one of them finally noticed and elevated them and straightened them out. He was trying to get up but they wouldn't let him... The trails are hard to get to/get out of so they should have monitored the course more throughly, as wet as it was that day.
The food was bad- no water that I saw- Just HEED and Coffee- poor Adam didn't like the HEED I took him, it was warm.
Get a new caterer! The pasta salad is nasty- too heavy and rich. They use the same caterer at all events.
well, other than that nitpickin', it was good times.

Last updated: 2007-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:45 | 03.11 miles | 11m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 105/146
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-01-29 9:34 AM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: Florida Challenge Trail Run

2007-01-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: #671148

User image

Master
Tampa, Fl
Subject: RE: Florida Challenge Trail Run

Christine you're right the course was fun, it'll be better when I don't hurt my ankle next time. Thanks for your help at the end. It'll just take some getting used to with the HEED. On the course I though it was water, so I was expecting water. The taste took my by surprise, and I've never had HEED before.

And thanks for the icepack, that lasted me all the way home. After I saw that guy come off of the cart, I realized I'm lucky to just have a twisted ankle. I guess its time to find a pair of trail shoes and do it right next time.

2007-01-29 10:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-01-29 2:13 PM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Hey great job!  Trail running is a whole different animal, but I just love it.  OK, I love it until I have to do it for 15 miles of snow. 

But hey, you got thru it and you'll be back, that's something to be proud of!!  Congrats!!  You gonna do the Trout Creek one with me in March?

2007-01-29 8:07 PM

Master
State of Confusion

I love trail running but don't do a lot of it any more. Years ago when I was training for the Portland Marathon I broke my ankle while trail running 4 weeks before the race.

Congrats on a good race. Sounds like a total blast!

2007-01-30 2:01 AM

, Alabama

Hey, Christine!  Sounds like a great time overall.  That trail running doesn't sound EZ!  Great job!!

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Challenge Trail Run Rss Feed