Big Kahuna Race Productions
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 31s
Overall Rank = 11/104
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

It was nice to have a race that didn't start until 9am. Work up at a reasonable 5:45 and was still there when transition opened at 7:00. Had a piece of PB&J toast before leaving, and some dry Cheerios during the drive. Tried to stay warm before the start.

Timing chip company was late getting set up, but were easily able to get chips distributed before the start.
Event warmup:

Big questions for everyone seemed to center around what to wear. I was eventually decided on tri shorts underneath and running tights over (which I'd keep on for the run), a technical t-shirt, and my cycling jacket on top. I could run in all of that without overheating, and minimize taking anything off or adding anything during T1.

No way was I getting in the pool beforehand, so warmup was just a brief job about 20 min before the start.
Swim
  • 06m 37s
  • 320 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim wasn't as bad the Keller RunBiTri. The pool wasn't quite as warm, so the temp shock wasn't there. The dead arms were still problem, though at least I've been swimming a bit more. However, I still found myself pausing at the wall for an extra breath. I lost my top 10 overall spot when I got passed halfway through the swim. (Although I did get to draft the rest of the swim. :)

They had kindly moved the finish indoors, so we didn't have to run back outside. However, each person did have to get themselves out of the pool under their own power and to the timing mat two feet away. I was struggling to get out, so, to the amusement of all, as I flopped myself over the edge I threw my feet around to get the chip to the mat. (even if the rest of me wasn't there yet).
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on my intervals, and speed sets at the end of my workouts.
Transition 1
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

This was fairly quick, since I'd chosen run attire specifically so I wouldn't need to add/remove anything except shoes and helmet.

Slightly loosen helmet strap if wearing ear/head covers. Have taken off one glove to make fastening strap easier
Bike
  • 41m 47s
  • 13.9 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, it was a good ride for me. I left transition with someone I know (William) just a few hundred yards ahead of me, so I had a target to get me started. All the turns and the wind made it difficult to get up to speed throughout

I fell! At the footbridge we had to cross, there were several 90-degree turns. On one right hand turn, my back wheel just kept sliding out. In slow motion I did a little circle and fell to my side. Fortunately, I was going slow enough that I basically fell in place, jumped back up and started again.

Arrgh, I also missed a turn! Right after the bridge, there was a very poorly marked turn, and I went straight. I didn't get too far before I saw another rider returning who had also missed the turn and also one of the official's motorcycles that had missed it. It wasn't just me. Overall, it was probably a full minute lost, or more. It really confused the guy who eventually caught me in the pool when I passed him for a second time on the bike, though!

I have pretty good bike control and trackstands, so I just need to be a little more aware of road dangers, like the slippery trail.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Excellent, full-speed dismount and short run to my rack space. Had taken off gloves before reaching transition zone, so no problem with helmet. Jacket and shirt were off fast, but a little delay getting tights over my heels. Sill managed 6th fastest T2 overall.

Nothing. Was definitely glad to have worn the tights for the bike.
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I was up on the starting line for the mass start, and started a little fast. Got that under control, but was feeling good and kept a good pace. The winter running efforts seem to have paid off, and this was a good run for me - new 5K PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Headed to the locker rooms for a warm shower and change of clothes. Then outside for free hot chocolate and to cheer on the remaining athletes. (I felt bad for them, everyone else was staying warm inside.)

I did not take advantage of the massage table. (Or the bounce house for kids, for that matter.) However, I did eventually indulge in the complementary chips and guacamole from Chipolte.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Primarily my swim speed and stamina.

Event comments:

This was a decent event for RBT's first time at this location. They have improved the post-race process a bit since the first Keller race. I still wish they had timing mats instead of just a mass start on the run. I'll continue to do some of their races, because I like the variety of the reverse format.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:37 | 320 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 29/104
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 25 yard indoor pool. First and last lane were one direction only. Inner six were a full lap (up and back in same lane)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:47 | 13.9 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 8/104
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, twisty, technical course with lots of turns. A few major roads, but many residential areas. One particularly unfortunate area where you have to enter a paved walking trail, make several 90-degree turns, and cross a footbridge to another neighborhood. There were a fair number of volunteers out on the bike course, which was good, given how many turns there were. However, there are some cases where volunteers should have been stationed differently. e.g. Not at the corner where only a left turn is possible, but down at the intersections. All turns were marked, but some signs were a little small. Good police traffic management at all major intersections.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:14 | 03.1 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 15/104
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, loop course. First half was sidewalks and on roads; second half was along paved, greenbelt running trail. Mass start.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-01-30 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RunBiTri Triathlon - Flower Mound

2007-01-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: #672738

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: RunBiTri Triathlon - Flower Mound

Sheesh, you lost a minute and were still top in your AG on the bike! Great job.

2007-01-30 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

great job David.  I was concerned about the bike course becasue it seemed more full of turns than straights....

Congrats on the hardware!

2007-02-01 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Added some race photos
2007-02-01 11:52 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Nice race!

2007-02-03 6:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Nice race brother. Does the Hulk know you stole his lats and painted them skin color? Heh.

2007-02-06 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Looks like you had a great race. You are brave for racing in the cold. That's all I have to say!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RunBiTri Triathlon - Flower Mound Rss Feed