Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-02-03 9:41 AM
in reply to: #677005

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Subject: RE: Sprint to full or half Ironman
You can probably survive IM within the cut off and say you did it but it will be an assault on the body. Major pain, long recovery. I don't even do sprints anymore, just too short, not worth the hassle....you'd be amazed how much longer an Olymic is compared to a sprint, and the half is yet again a big step up. I think if you do halfs, you can more easily survive an IM, but coming from a sprint distance, it will be ugly imo.

2007-02-03 10:04 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

If you have a limited amount of time to train, you will have to train "smart". 

First of all, decide what your goal is now.  It is important to pick the distance you want to end the season with, be it a HIM or or an IM, so that you can plan and train adequately for it. 

Secondly EITHER:

• pick out a training schedule that you can alter to fit your time constraints, OR BETTER YET
  • consult a coach and ask that he/she draft a proper training schedule for you to achieve your goal. 

2007-02-03 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

You are in the same place I was last year.  After talking to a lot of triathletes, I decided to do at least one Half Ironman just to gain experience with long course.  To me, there is a pretty major difference between Sprint/Olympic races and long course races.  The longer periods of solitude, need for disciplined race nutrition/hydration, and actual "seat time" on longer distance efforts all factor in.

I was marginally limited on the time budget for training, so choosing a HIM over a full IM turned out to be a great decision.  I chose a flat HIM (Racing for Recovery), and gaining long course experience was a major benefit, along with learning a few lessons.  My race report chronicles the experience.  The swim went really well because I was focused on staying smooth and relaxed.  My bike split was a lot faster than I had planned, and that hurt me during the run.  I've heard this is a fairly common mistake. 

I chose a training plan and stuck with it - the commitment was a little tougher than I thought (at times), but overall it was doable.  The longer training sessions and challenge of sticking with training builds mental toughness that is really key on longer efforts.  If you think your time budget may be limited, you'll have to choose a plan carefully.  I'm with some of the others on the issue of a full IM - it may be more than your schedule allows.

Good luck with your decision!  The other observation I have is that my HIM training plan allowed for races, but you have to make sure the races don't supplant the longer training sessions. 

2007-02-03 2:59 PM

Veteran
Minneapolis
Thanks again everyone, this place rules. I realized that a full Ironman was probably a bit too much but I had to try to get the opinion of the experienced people here who have done one.
I only know one person who has actually completed the full distance and when I asked him about I got "It wasn't that bad, you could do it, it only took me about 15 hours to finish"
Not the kind of info I was looking for.

After reading all this I am planning to add an Oly distance after my second sprint and I am going to talk to a coach about a training program for the HIM and see if it's realistic that I could get in all the training.

Can't wait for racing season to get here, no more treadmills!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sprint to full or half Ironman Rss Feed  

of 2