General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I use protein powder? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-03 6:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
Subject: Should I use protein powder?
So here's my question...should i use protein powder in making a recovery drink? I'm 6'0" tall and 155 lbs. I've got a "runner's build" (ive been running competitively all my life). So I guess I have a small frame and powerful legs. One of my roomates uses the stuff on a daily basis after hitting the gym. He's getting big, but that's his goal, I dont want to put on weight and sacrifice speed. So, is the protein powder a good thing to add for recovery? If so, how much is necessary for recovery only....and anyone got any good recipes? Thanks.

2007-02-04 9:24 AM
in reply to: #678378

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Should I use protein powder?

Using Protein Powder for recovery is different than using Protein Powder for building bulk.  After any hard/long workout your body is going to need something to repair itself.  Whey or Soy protein added to a recovery shake/smoothie.  If you use the supplement as a recovery drink and not as a high calorie weight/mass gain then you'll be fine.  Just read the directions on how much you should be using and restrict the usage fr just after you complete a long training session, not every day or as a meal replacement.

I used Hammer Whey throughout my IM training and didn't gain an ounce.  It was a life saver.  Couldn't have recovered as quickly without it.

2007-02-04 9:34 AM
in reply to: #678378

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Should I use protein powder?
Protein is important after a long run or ride.  Since you've broke down the muscle, it will need to rebuild and does so through protein synthesis.  You don't need to be getting it in a drink as long as you are getting it with a couple hours from a meal.  But the basic ratio should be 4:1 carbs:proteins.   You can get this from a glass of chocolate milk.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Should I use protein powder? Rss Feed