United States
2F / -17C
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The run was at 10:15, so plenty of time to get up and get ready in the morning. It was actually a bit difficult having time to kill prior to leaving for the race. Had a gatorade, bananna, and nutrigrain bar as the morning went on leading up to the race.

Very cold (2-degrees) and windy (18, gusting to 30) with a light snow overnight making the roads goopy and mucky.
Event warmup:

Found the race site. Check-in area was inside (thankfully) but about 1/2-mile from the start of the race, right into the teeth of the wind. Lake Geneva is a classic small town on the lake, meaning minimal room to park. Made the decision to just leave the car by check-in, and walk to the start.

Supposedly about 80 people registered, but I'm guessing there's maybe 30 total in the race. No results posted yet, and it wasn't chip-timed, so that'll be a manual process for them.

I talked to a lot of people waiting for the race to start in the various buildings that were open in-between the registration and the start. Had to make many pit-stops due to wind, and of course, nerves. ;) Most everyone I talked to was FAST, typically running sub-40 10K times. Those that knew the course stressed over and over again the hills, and how that could add anywhere from 4-10 minutes onto the time. Weather was a big topic of discussion also. Wind against us on the way out and should give us some help on the way back, reportedly.

Did some high knee work to warm up, some inside and some outside. I really like that drill most from the drills Joel has given me. Seems to get the blood flowing.
Run
  • 54m 31s
  • 6.27 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started out and they immediately sent us on a sidewalk that wasn't plowed and was VERY narrow. Basically single file in each other's tracks. If you wanted to pass, you had to run in about a foot of snow off to the side in order to get by people. I passed about 7-8 people in this section.

That ended, happy to be on pavement, albiet soupy from the dusting of snow. Immediate big focking hill comes up. It heads up and goes around a corner. I sort of assumed it was ending at the corner, but there was more beef to come after that. Finally hit the top and the main group has already passed me by. I'm sort of in a no-man's land between the fast people (most) and the recreational runners behind me. HR already well into the 170's by the top of the run, and I can't get 'er down. I figure oh well, this is gonna hurt. Keep on trucking and the hills just keep coming and coming. I'm fading, struggling, hurting, breathing hard, and all alone out there. I know I'm not keeping any kind of pace up, but it is truly impossible on these kinda hills.

Hit the turnaround and thankfully see quite a few people still behind me ( I was honestly beginning to believe I might be last...there was NOBODY around me). The course is a TAD, and I mean a small tad, easier on the way back. Still, counted 4-beefy hills I had to summit and go down the backside in order to finish. I got passed on one downhill by a guy that otherwise wasn't going any faster than me. He was CRUISING the downhills though...perhaps I gotta work on that.

Came in to a very disappointing time. Felt completely spent and immediately just took the 1/2 mile walk back to my car. Thankfully, wind at my back. Was starting to really get a chill by the time I got my shat together and headed home.
What would you do differently?:

Temperature given my training schedule was a non-factor. The competition was fast, and that gave me the distinct impression I didn't do well. Was fairly pissed at myself for most of the afternoon after the race. I feel like most of my training is on some sort of hilly terrain, but this course put me in the ditch immediately. I don't know if starting slower would have helped or not. For jszat, the best description is doing Grange and left onto Sunny Slope over and over again, but without any break. The top of Sunny Slope leading into the bottom of Grange for another go around. Very unrelenting, with the exception of the very end section. Had I known the course, I probably could have sprinted that in a bit harder and saved 15 to 30 seconds.
Post race
Warm down:

Got home, and blogged my disgust for myself on BT ;) Sorry peeps, it might have been a bit harsh. The bottom line is, I'm competitive around other people. I feel that I work extremely hard, and it's tough to see others go faster than me. It was especially evident in this race given how the main pack just took off and I was toast. I now realize that's part of the game, and I gotta do my own thing. The Average HR shows that I worked d#mn hard, so what else can I do? We'll see what Joel has to say on that issue.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I suppose, more hill work and a dose of youth and talent. Of course, the weather was no picnic, but that's a given for everyone that was there. It really wasn't a big deal.

Event comments:

This was a good challenging course that would be excellent to train on. If you want hill work, Lake Geneva's the place. I thought the race was a bit spread out given the conditions, but overall they did a fine job in tough conditions.

Last updated: 2007-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:31 | 06.27 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
1 8:41 161 2 8:34 172 3 9:09 175 4 8:19 172 5 8:59 175 6 8:59 172 0.271 9:22 178 Average 172 Max 181
Course: Hilly as a @$#%@#$%@#$.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-02-04 4:28 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Subject: Lake Geneva Winterfest 10K
I should have added, my goal initially was to just enjoy the brutality of the elements.  I did that, of course.  ;)  In the end though, I figured I'd hit or beat 8 m/m.  That's where the disappointment stems from. 

Edited by morey1 2007-02-04 4:30 PM

2007-02-04 7:18 PM
in reply to: #678897

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Subject: RE: Lake Geneva Winterfest 10K
Hey!!! What about the 50 other people who didnt even show up!!! Yeesh!!! It was fricken cold out there- I think you did great to even show up. I dont think I would have raced today and I love to race!!
Wind, hills, and sub zero weather- not a good combo for a stellar race
2007-02-05 7:01 AM

User image

Elite

Considering the elements you kicked major arse Dan.  I can't believe you're so hard on your performance.  The course you describe sounds like it was brutal.  Absolutely brutal!  Considering all these things you did VERY well.  I know I would have been left in a snow drift somewhere calling for my mommy.

Way to hang bro!

2007-02-05 7:53 AM

User image

Expert
Kinda sounds like you ran a loop of the HIM run course.  Tough course, for sure.  Shake this one off and get right back at it.  Nice effort!
2007-02-05 10:55 AM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI
I was one of the 50 who didn't show up. I'm proud of morey1 and am impressed by the time. I drove the course a week ago and he did NOT exaggerate the description of the hills one bit!
2007-02-05 11:17 AM
in reply to: #679572

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

tall_tri_dad - 2007-02-05 10:55 AM I was one of the 50 who didn't show up. I'm proud of morey1 and am impressed by the time. I drove the course a week ago and he did NOT exaggerate the description of the hills one bit!

Thanks!  I knew somebody on BT drove the course.  I wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming just how hilly that course was. 

2007-02-05 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
Ok, so you are going all Roger Craig highstepping it to start out and passing folks in the snow, and then you hit the hills and you are surprised your HR is high?  Like I said, huge props for even going through with the race.  You have to objectively take a look at what you thought went right, what when wrong and where to correct it instead of being bummed out about the result.  To me, it sounds like you may have been a bit aggressive at the start on a tough course in tough conditions.  I know from running with you that you sometimes push a bit harder than necessary so pacing might be an issue vs HR.  Dunno.  What I do know is that that area has some harsh hillies and had I not been able to scout the course with Yams and blow my shat up weeks before the HIM in that area, I probably would have been in for a long day and had a different run.  We can get more into this, but I think you need to look at what factors you think truly led to this outcome, not saying it is a bad outcome by any means, but you had a perception of what would happen and it didnt.  So lets figure it out and get you there.  Remember, the recreational runners were probably at home, so you got the greyhounds too (and ya gotta start just worrying about what you are doing and go with that versus what others on the course have going on).  Ok, I will stop blathering.  To the outside observer on BT, they might think I am being a dick but with the history, Donkitude, blah, blah, blah, you know my hope is only to help ya out.  Good race in tough conditions in summary.  Analyze it, learn from it, get over it.  Donkeys are stubborn and its back to the grindstone now to focus on the real deal in the 1/2.  EEEAAWWW!!!
2007-02-05 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
I think JZAT said it well, I won't even try to add. I know that when I'm out there I have tendancy to compare to others and that never makes sense. From the sounds of it, it was a pretty elite crowd (and a little crazy), not to mention a very tough course and tough conditions. Great Job!
2007-02-05 12:55 PM
in reply to: #679792

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
jmwebs - 2007-02-05 12:53 PM

I think JZAT said it well, I won't even try to add.

I mean I can't even type. (sorry Jszat)
2007-02-05 12:58 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
great race on tough weather! I am got cold just reading your RR
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Geneva Winterfest 10K Rss Feed