General Discussion Race Reports! » Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1 - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shelbyville, Kentucky
United States
Headfirst Peformance Services
15F / -9C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 40m
Overall Rank = 1/70?
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 1/N/A
Pre-race routine:

Ate a 1/2 bagel with pnut butter about 2.5 hours before the race. Then at a whole Snickers Marathon bar and drank a Diet Mt. Dew on the drive to. My pre-race drink to get some sugar in me and to get things 'moving.'

Lost my keys in transition area and was scrambling to find them so it threw off my normal pre-race relaxation.
Event warmup:

My goal of the warmup first and foremost was to get normalized to the temperature... It was COLD!!! Ran approx 1 mile warm-up with (2) 15-sec pickups at the end to get loose. Then stretched hammys and my upper buttock area. Did arm circles on the way to the start.
Swim
  • 8h 00m
  • 400 yards
  • 2h 00m / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

I was happy with how I did. Maybe try to swim a little harder the 2nd 200, but I was just pretty exhausted by the time I hit the water from chasing down people on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I had a good transition from run to bike. I was in 6th place overall by the time I hit T1. I was in and out very quick. I already had my glasses on and all I had to do was put on my helmet, grab my bike and run to the mounting area.

Had a little trouble clipping my helmet strap but that was because i was wearing gloves and it was very cold. i had to take my glasses off so i lost may 5 second redoing that. a FAST transition and it put me in the top 3 heading out to the bike course.
Bike
  • 19m
  • 6 miles
  • 18.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of T1 and was almost 1/2 a mile back. By the time I hit the turnaround, I was only about .25 miles back and when we passed each other I could see that he was fading somewhat. My legs pretty much felt dead the whole way and the wind was brutal but I was focused on catching him. About 1/2 way back to T2, I was thinking I'd be happy settling for 2nd then the guy in 1st was really fading on the hills. I knew if I kept pushing the downhills and hitting 30mph+ on those that I could carry a portion of the uphills and catch up to him. I'd planned on just getting to him and making it all about the swim and who wanted it more. With about .75 miles left, I saw that I could pass him and I just sat back waiting for a moment when I could get some good speed and pass him so fast that I'd break his spirit somewhat. I found that spot with about .20 to go and made my move on an uphill. I came flying into T2 in 1st place and had a tough time getting my clothes off to get to the pool. I think I surprised everyone that I was leading at this point in the race. (Including myself!!!)

I should have unzipped my shirt a bit and unzipped the bottom of my pants when I was pulling my feet out as I was approaching T2.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Had a little difficulty getting my clothes off as I was getting stripped down to hit the pool. The tightness of the turtleneck and the ankles of my riding pants got stuck on the head/ ankles which took a little more time than I'd wanted to take.

I should have unzipped my shirt a bit and unzipped the bottom of my pants when I was pulling my feet out as I was approaching T2.
Run
  • 11m 30s
  • 1.86 miles
  • 06m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Started with the run. A group of guys went off the front. I wanted to follow but these guys, I know, are much stronger runners than me and I had to conciously hold back. I knew that if I could stay close enough to hit T1 when they were there that I'd have a chance to take them out of transition or on the bike.

The way out was run pretty hard. People jockying for position and setting the pace. By the turnaround, guys were struggling (as I'd hoped and somewhat expected). I was able to chase down 2 guys and overtake them on the run. I tried to stay within myself and get behind some guys to conserve energy instead of running head into the wind.

Nothing, I think I ran a good run segment. Maybe select better footing. Not run so much on the snow and try to get more on gravel or the grass?
Post race
Warm down:

Layed in the pool so I wouldn't pass out. Once I got out, I sat by the edge of the pool very hypoxic and had trouble breathing from cold to hot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Legs were a little tired from Friday's workout and Saturdays run. I didn't get a really good sleep the night before even though I did go to bed early. My legs still felt fatigued and not so fresh.

Event comments:

Thank you to the volunteers! Thank you to Coach Dale and Coach Nancy for getting me to the point where I could win my first race! Thank you to all my friends and training partners from The Training Studio for all the support at the race! Team Training Studio racked up some hardware today!!! And so did Tbatt!!!! Great job guys/gals!

Last updated: 2007-02-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
08:00:00 | 400 yards | 2h 00m / 100yards
Age Group: 1/N/A
Overall: 1/70?
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Tri Shorts
Course: 400 yd swim/ 25 yd pool. I hit the pool after being outside and it was like swimming in bath water. My arms were SO tired when I hit the pool. I was the first in the water from the bike and got a 1.5 lap lead on the guy in second place. Dale, my coach, was cheering for me and was at the end of every lap encouraging me. I was looking forward to hitting that wall every time!!! Nancy, my swim coach, was there and she yelled to me to pace myself and to be smooth. According to everyone there, the guy in 2nd place was gaining ground on me till the 2nd half of the swim where he tired out a little and I picked it up. I hit the wall and realized I'd won the whole thing and saw Todd's wife there and I was just ELATED that I'd won my first tri on my birthday!!!! Wish my mother could have been there to see it!
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:19:00 | 06 miles | 18.95 mile/hr
Overall: 1/70?
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Course was in very good shape all things considered. The wind was horrible and almost took me off the bike. Very very hilly, rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:11:30 | 01.86 miles | 06m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 6/70?
Performance: Good
Course: Course was run primarily on snow/ ice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-04 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1

2007-02-05 5:58 AM
in reply to: #678903

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY
Subject: RE: Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1

Congrats again!  Overall winner, 1st ever win, and on your b-day, awesome!

2007-02-05 9:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Grass Valley
Great Job!  Sounds like a fun race
2007-02-05 8:45 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida

You were strong through out the whole race!  I could see it in your eyes that the race was all yours..  You didn't lead on at anytime that you were nervous.

You were fiercly focused and your form on the run was perfect.  On the bike your aero was tight.  I wish I could have scene you swim.. 

GREAT JOB!!!  I AM STILL SMILING AT YOUR PERFORMANCE Laughing 

Well done Luv Kiss

2007-02-05 11:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Overall winner, woohoooo! That's fantastic!  You've really got great mental strength, and going for 30+ mph on the bike takes balls of steel.
2007-02-08 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
way to go sean and great race report.  i met you there sunday with patrick.  good luck with your season.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1 Rss Feed