General Discussion Race Reports! » Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1 - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shelbyville, Kentucky
United States
Headfirst Peformance Services
15F / -9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m
Overall Rank = /70
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 and started getting ready for the race. I ate half a bagel with peanut butter, banana, and gatorade.
Packed up the car and headed to the studio to grab my shoes and helmet from my bike case.
Then off to the race but made a pit stop for more snickers marathon bars and I had to get something hot so I got a large coffee.. I don't drink coffee but it was good on a freezing morning.
Event warmup:

Arrived at race site and unloaded bikes. I took my bike for a spin to warm up my legs and get my bike in correct start up gear. After layering my clothes and putting on my race number I went out to run for 10 min but was stopped when they announced the pre-race meeting was starting.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Last discipline of race.
Was in the pool without any issues of me being cold from the bike. I sat on the side of the pool for about 5 secs to get my legs in the water. No shock or any strange feelings so I jumped in and fixed my goggles and was off to finish.
I was complimented on my swimming technique and also that I passed a couple of other swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

Bilateral breathing, I wasn't doing my breathing correctly. Possibly due to the cold and focusing on keeping my legs from cramping.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was run to bike.
I ran through the water portion.. I had called out for water but the volunteer was a bit slow in giving it to me. I had passed right by her when she held out the glass but I reached back and did a quick grab from her. It was a swift move, if I do say so myself.

Nothing I could really do.. gloves got in the way of bucking and trying to get my first shoe on was a bit frustrating.. I had toe warmers stuffed in my shoes and when I put my foot in them I knew I wouldn't have been able to ride with them things. My feet wouldn't like it.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 6 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

On my way out I had reserved myself because I didn't know what the hills were like. I rode comfortably and started catching up to the group ahead of me. Once I reached the turn around point I knew what I needed to do so I picked up my speed and used the declines to my fullest advantage. I passed about 5 people coming back on the bike. At one point I passed two going uphill. Sweeeeet!

ride the course prior to race. I anticipated the first half before turn around
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was bike to swim. I racked my bike, removed my helmet and glasses. took off my wind proof jacket off and left it outside. I left my gloves and ran with my cycling shoes into the pool area where I started stripping down to my bathing suit. I felt my toes were a bit on the chilly side but still had feeling in them.. Once I was down to my suit I ran into the pool area where I had my goggles, cap and earplugs waiting for me.. I shuffled to the pool and put my legs into the water. see swim for swim portion

Continue to take my layered clothes off while running into the pool area.

Run
  • 00m
  • 1.86 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I slipped on my way back right after the volunteers told me to watch the corner and ice.. My foot went one way and I landed on my knee. Nice! What did I do?? try to stand up with the ice under me again.. I don't know what I was thinking.. Managed to pick myself up and began my pace again..

Not fall.
Post race
Warm down:

I was at room temperature by the time I was done with the swim. It felt great!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold and my mental thoughts of just have fun and don't kill yourself.

Event comments:

I had such a great time during this race. The volunteers were top notch. Being out there in the cold and cheering us on through out the race is above the call of any volunteer. Many thanks to everyone from Training Studio, my new friends!! And a special thanks, hugs, kisses to Sean, for being there and enjoying with me my first race since my injury last year. Way to go there #1 Overall ;)

Last updated: 2007-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/70
Performance: Good
Suit: Speedo race suit
Course: Pool lap
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 06 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/
No time for laps.. I didn't hit laps during any part of the race so I just kept on biking
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: It was definitely hilly for me. Mind you there aren't any hills in my neck of the woods or even 15 degree weather for that matter..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 01.86 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Course: Hilly, covered with snow and ice in some area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-06 8:10 PM

User image

St Petersburg, Florida
Subject: Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1

2007-02-06 8:32 PM
in reply to: #682030

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1

Great job!  I can't believe you did a tri not only with hills, but with freezing weather!  YOU'RE A NUT!

Sharon

BTW, love the avatar!

2007-02-06 9:40 PM

User image

Master
Central, IL

Wow!  Just an awesome job.  Sounds like a fun race. 

When's race #2?

2007-02-08 12:22 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Told you, you are a legend! A reverse tri - what a cool concept!

Congratualtions on your placing!

2007-02-08 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
hey,,,,  i was there with patrick (devilwillride), met you and sean.  way to go on a cold day.  glad you didn't get hurt on your slip on the ice during the run !!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Max Performance Triathon Series Race #1 Rss Feed