General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High heart rate and breathing rate after bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-19 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis, MN
Subject: High heart rate and breathing rate after bike
I just completed my 2nd triathlon and I'm having issues at the starting of the run. I'm not sure if anyone else experiences this, but when I'm on the bike my heart rate and breathing rate and under control and at my standard aerobic level. During the first mile of my run, my heart and breathing rate increase dramatically and I really need to slow down to get it under control. I don't have this problem when I run standard running races (10k's, Marathons, etc), it only happens after the biking stage. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this or have any tips to get through it? Thanks,

Derek

2004-08-19 9:16 AM
in reply to: #50250

Subject: RE: High heart rate and breathing rate after bike
I just did my first tri last weekend and the first thing I said to my husband was I was constantly out of breath. I don't experience this when I just run either.
2004-08-19 9:32 AM
in reply to: #50250

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: High heart rate and breathing rate after bike
This isn't uncommon. First, you're excited coming out of the transition and anticipating the run. Adrenaline is pumping. Second, your body is working hard to adapt from the mechanics of biking to running, and you're heart is hammering away to shunt blood to places it is needed for the run. Here is what has helped me bring everything under control: First, I find a comfortable pace (not all out just yet) and take small, quick steps. Turnover is more important here than large strides; don't worry that you might be breathing hard. As your body begins to adjust to the new pace and activity, your breathing will adjust with it. Your heart rate will slow down and as you begin to feel more in control you can begin to build your pace and your stride length, if you wish. By the second mile you should feel comfortable enough to be hitting your race pace. Save your kick for a big finish - either to set a PB or to cross the line ahead of your training partner! Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » High heart rate and breathing rate after bike Rss Feed