Runner's Forum
1F / -17C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 109/129
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 3.5 hours prior to start, had breakfast consisting of English Muffin with peanut butter and glass of grape juice. Went back to bed until 2 hours to race. Woke back up, steam shower with some limited stretching. Got a gatorade and some gummy candy. Sipped gatorade and ate 2 pieces of gummy candy.
Event warmup:

Warmup was limited to stretching inside. I should have ran a little and stretched again, but it was cold outside and I was being wimpy.
Run
  • 33m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Stepped outside to head to the starting line, and my sunglasses fogged up. Ran for 3k straight. I did stop to walk, but my legs got cold and muscles got tight when I did so. Prior to that, I felt pretty good. It was cold, and I had a bit much clothes on, and got a bit warm while running. There was a large ice patch to run across at 1 mile. Last 400 yards was a large hill that was really challenging. I also ran with headphones/iPod. This was not smoking fast, but it is a PR for me since I started running again. Greg (G-Moose) ran as well. Started from the BOP, which was fine until I can get a higher level of running endurance, speed and fitness. In the last 1k, my blood pressure felt like it was getting too high. I ended up walk/run alternating with G-Moose for a bit. We ran up the final hill, and apparently I was about 4 seconds ahead of him at the line. He should have kicked my butt.
What would you do differently?:

I made the mistake of ignoring the "Nothing new on race day" rule, and wore a new pair of running tights, and was going to try a new turtle cap. I should have stayed with my tried and true 10* running wear. I did overheat a bit, but nothing terrible.

I need to work on hills more.

Figure out sunglasses issue.

No more last minute clothing changes. If I would have gone outside before it was time to head to the starting line, I would have known I needed to deal with headgear, as well as sunglasses.

Learn to use my HRM.
Post race
Warm down:

Some light stretching and a couple of leg drains.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness level.

Event comments:

Plenty of volunteers, local police to handle traffic. Great give aways (including a new mountain bike). Post race goodied was limited to bottled water and boxed cookies. Great event.

Last updated: 2007-02-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:25 | 03.11 miles | 10m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/129
Performance: Good
Still learning my Polar HRM. Quick glances of HRM while running showed my HR in the 170-180 range. I'll get better with using it and be able to get more accurate readings.
Course: http://www.nike.com/nikeplus/?l=mapit,1220297827
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %n/a
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes