Salt Lake City Track Club
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 49m 45s
Overall Rank = 75/190
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/11
Pre-race routine:

Standard morning protein shake about 3 hours prior.
Event warmup:

Made it early enough to get in a easy mile warm-up with some strides thrown in. WU helped considerably. HR was where it should have been this time around. Little stretching.
Run
  • 49m 45s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off the race easier (~8:30 pace mid z3) this time after starting too fast in the 5k a two weeks ago. I decided to pass in the end rather than be passed. Started near the back of the pack in mid-high z3 moving my pace and HR up after mile two.

Around the half-way mark I took it to z5 (walking through the water station in hopes of bringing down the HR for the last 2 miles).

I was able to finish at a 7'30" clip (AHR 180) and had a few people to chase over the last 2 miles which kept me moving. One woman came up behind me after the water stop and ran shoulder-to-shoulder for a few minutes. We ran together for some time but I could hear her breathing more heavily than I and knew she would fade. Perhaps she thought I was running out of juice because of the slow down at the water station? Next I caught up to a friend from work who had been a few hundred yards ahead at the half-way mark who urged me on as I passed; the last guy for me to get by was about 40 yards ahead with a 1/4 mile to go. I made my way up to ~20 yards behind him with 2/10s of a mile left. He was as tall and I figured he might have a good kick. Waited until there was ~150 yards to the finish line and kicked it hard going by him with the GPS later showing a top pace of 5'20" - but he didn't challenge me.

I had fun and was feeling good about myself (until I found out I was the slowest in my AG! There were some fast dudes in this race; though no one I beat in the 5K beat me here). It was more fun to pass than be passed and this felt more like a race than the 5k for that reason alone. I was also able to make my sub 50 minute goal. Close enough to an 8' pace which had been another goal (the GPS said 7'59" as the distance shown longer).
What would you do differently?:

The next 10k I might get the HR up to z4 sooner. I might have shaved a minute or so off my time. And I'm not sure slowing at the water station helped much either. Not sure I would do that again.

McMillan's running calculator shown that based on my 5k time I should have been capable of a 7'45" avg. That or close to it could have been doable.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching. Bagel, Gatorade, banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Perhaps starting a little too slowly for the first couple of miles. Better nights sleep. Maybe a little longer warm-up. Not sure it was worth walking through the water station at mile 4. HR didn't seem to drop much.

Event comments:

The 10k continues the tradition of the Salt Lake Track Club Winter Series with as many runners as the 5k and more competitive AG times. There was a raffle of some nice items from Salt Lake Running Co. (which I missed after the last race) and ribbons awarded inside the Salt Air pavilion.

This is a solid, limited frills road race that is accurately timed and measured. Some nice items in the raffle as well donated by Salt Lake Running Co.

Last updated: 2007-01-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:45 | 06.21 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 75/190
Performance: Good
Lap splits from watch - no data recorder: 3.928 miles 8'09" pace AHR 171 .355 mile 8'30" pace AHR 178 (with walk through water station) 1.95 miles 7'31 pace AHR 180 LT can be moved up to 178-179
Course: Starting near the Salt Air Pavillion, this is an out-n-back course along west frontage road bordering the Great Salt Lake and I-15.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes