Multirace.com
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 27s
Overall Rank = 198/202
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:20am and took a shower. Finished preparing my bag and started eating a Zone protein bar and the 2nd half of a Gatorade. I felt good and rested, and thankfully, not too nervous. Went to the bathroom and felt glad to have that out of the way. The drive in the dark to Coconut Creek was not busy. Listened to some music on the radio. I thought Wa-hoo... how cool is it that I'm doing a Duathlon this morning? Once I arrived at the park I immediately made another bathroom stop. I was not nervous. Not me.
Event warmup:

After picking up my race-packet and racking my bike, fellow BTer Mimi (MimiR98) found me. It was so cool that she was there. No one's ever come to watch me, and the fact she got up so early just to stand around for a few hours and cheer me on... well... that's just too cool! She also took some pictures for me. It was pretty cold too, and I kept expecting it to warm up. I jogged a little bit, and stretched a little bit to warm up. It was suddenly time for the race to start and that's when I got nervous.
Run
  • 28m 49s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out faster than I'm used to, and the first mile is always the hardest for me. The rest of the racers quickly took off before me, and I was by myself again. Its hard sometimes to see how slow I really am. But I got over it fast because I was doing this thing! So I refocused on me. My HR was up there in zone 4 and I figured I should walk a little to slow it down. But it wasn't coming down so I just kept jogging. Maybe it was nerves. I soon found my pace and stuck to it. By the 2nd mile I felt more comfortable out there. This was the most I've ever run in Zone 4 so it was good to know I could do it. Of course, I couldn't help thinking that I still had a 10 mile bike that I was pretty much dreading, and thought well... I could always chuck it. Then I saw Mimi as I was finishing the Run, and thought NO WAY! She cheered me on and said I was doing great. And I was.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Felt good, grabbed my bike and the half eaten bar, my helmet, and I was off. Everybody else was already way ahead. There was some cheering for me, and I heard the announcer call my name. That was cool!

Have something else to eat.
Bike
  • 53m 9s
  • 10 miles
  • 11.29 mile/hr
Comments:

It was still cold and windy so the beginning of the bike felt really cold. But I, somehow, felt amazing! I went all out on the bike. I really did. My HR was in that same Zone 4 range. I didn't have any pain in my shoulders or wrists. I just kept going and going. The first lap was easier than the 2nd. Starting with I missed the entrance to the 2nd lap and went around again. I could've kept going but decided no cheating was allowed! The wind felt stronger on that 2nd lap, but I got lost in my own thoughts (what they were I can't remember), and before I knew it I was at the turn-around. Around this time my fingers starting numbing on me. I kept pushing it and pushing it. No way I was quitting now, and what a difference this was from the last DU I did, right here on this course, 7 months ago, and how many times I thought about quitting on that bike. I was done!

Spend more time on the bike. Buy a new bike that properly fits me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I saw Mimi as I got off the bike. I hear her say that I'm ahead of my planned time for finishing! Woo-hoo! What a shot in the arm it was to hear that! I figured as much from my Polar, but couldn't tell for sure because I wasn't hitting the lap button on time. I got off the bike and my legs were spaghetti! I couldn't run! Oh my God it was bad! But I racked the bike, and grabbed my cap and water bottle, and set off. People were coming in and out of transition and I was still racing... hel-lo people!

Practice more.
Run
  • 30m 55s
  • 2 miles
  • 15m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was hard. I couldn't get my legs and just decided to walk but soon enough I started running again. As I approached completing the first mile it dawned on me... I was going to finish this! I couldn't believe it! I started to cry... out there near the lake and approaching the wooded area... I cried. I thought about this being my 4th month since surgery, and what a miracle it had made in my life. I was overwhelmed. But... I sucked it up quick because I still needed to finish. I walked a little more, and then picked it up again. I was sure I was going to beat my time from last July's DU. And I did! Mimi was cheering for me, and telling me I blew my time. As I approached the finish I was dancing inside! I got a cheer from the crowd as the announcer called my name as I crossed the finish! Woo-hoo!
The best part is how great my body felt! I wasn't spent. :-)

Practice more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really warm down. I just made sure to drink Accelerade and eat a banana. By this time they were handing out the awards. Mimi hung out for a little while before she had to get back to her family. We also met another BTer who had finished the race. Big O (Owen) was there with his wife and it was great that they came up to us. I'm finishing my banana when I hear my name called by the announcer. I had won 1st place in my division! What a surprise that was! What was particularly cute and funny was that I was the only one in my division! LOL! And I said as much to the crowd as I went up and received my plaque. I was a bit of a ham when they took my picture. Mimi took a picture for me too. This was some unexpected icing on the cake! Very cool! Mimi told me I had definitely earned this. It turnes out I beat my time from last July's DU by 30 minutes! Is that fabulous or what?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Extra weight, not enough experience and training on the bike.

Event comments:

What a fabulous race I had this morning. Considering the low expectations I had due to my bike issues, I had an outstanding race! Mimi reminded me how much better and faster I would be with a proper road bike. I can't wait to get my new bike! It was so great that my BT bud was there! Thanks Mimi. You're the best! On the way home I was high, singing out loud in the car to Michael Buble! I was Feeling Good!
I couldn't help but think of my SIL and what she's going through with her brother in the hospital. So I stopped by on the way home, told her my story, and gave her the plaque I had won. She got a kick out of that, especially the part about being the only one in my division. What can I say - she thinks I'm nuts! Hopefully, when she's having a hard day with her brother, she'll find a smile creeping on her face when she sees it. She was instrumental in my having the surgery 4 mos ago today. She's going through so much now.
I love this race. May even do it again in July to see if I can beat my time AGAIN!

Last updated: 2007-01-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:49 | 02 miles | 14m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/202
Performance: Good
My max average HR was 161 for the race. I burned 1084 calories. Dang!
Course: The course is flat and winding, and never dull. I like this course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Run with bike?
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:53:09 | 10 miles | 11.29 mile/hr
Zone 4
Wind: Headwind
Course: Flat & windy. Its a nice course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:56
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:55 | 02 miles | 15m 28s  min/mile
Zone 4
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-11 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Tradewinds Park Duathlon

2007-02-11 3:55 PM
in reply to: #686931

Extreme Veteran
AZ
Subject: RE: Tradewinds Park Duathlon
What an accomplishment!!  And Hardware too!!!!  Cari, you rock.  Your race report brought tears to my eyes.  That feeling of finishing something you never thought you could do is unexplainable.   Way to goooooo
2007-02-11 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Your race report is sooooooooooo awesome.  I know just a snippet of your life by occasionally reading your log; but reading this report, I am SO happy for you.  What a great job beating your previous time.  Fantastic!
2007-02-11 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane

Congratulations Cari!

What a great day and race. I absolutely loved your report. Inspirational. That's what it's all about: setting goals, accomplishing them and feeling good about yourself--proving to yourself that you can do anything you set your mind to.

Keep it up. I can't wait to read about your first tri.

2007-02-11 7:07 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
TOTALLY AMAZING Cari!! COngratulations!!  You are so cool...youar a rockstar.....youwill FLY on you r new bike and crush your time come July!!
2007-02-11 7:39 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
If you want to see the spirit of racing, you need to see Cari!!  This woman IS a true athlete.  So very cool.   WTG CARI!!!! 

2007-02-11 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Estero, FL
You did so Awesome tody!!!!

It was great to meet you and see you pick up your FIRST PLACE Award!!! You definitely earned that one.

Great Race report!

Keep up the good work and cannot wait to see you again taking home hardware at the races.

Edited by Big O 2007-02-11 8:28 PM
2007-02-12 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great job!! Glad you enjoyed the experience.
2007-02-12 9:05 AM

User image

Your race repost was just what I needed this morning.  Thank you and congrats.  YOU ROCK!

2007-02-12 11:48 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Great job! and way to beat your prior time!
2007-02-12 11:50 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-02-12 11:59 AM

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Awesome job - very inspiring race report.  Good luck with your next event.
2007-02-12 1:08 PM

Boulder, CO
Girl! I nearly cried here in my cubicle. What a great account for that race! You did it!!!!!!!!! Really great job and fantastic that you picked up some very valuable experience to take with you.

I heard that the bikes that are called "guru" were named as they were because the guys who started the line believed that there bikes taught them about themselves (or something to that effect) if nothing else, I believe doing du's and tri's and training/racing does the same. These expereinces become our own GURU's.

Ride on girl. Your doing fantastic. Nice new photo too!!!
2007-02-13 10:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Terrific job!  That rubbery leg feeling is the BEST, itsn't it??  Love it!  Very good report.

Kelly

PS...I can't eat those zone bars...they mess me up. 

2007-02-14 2:52 PM

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Nice race, Carri, you're making great improvements while providing the rest of us with great inspiration!
2007-02-16 9:54 PM

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

Beyond finishing, beating your time by 30 minutes, winning 1st place, you did something bigger and more impressive, you proved to yourself and everyone that cares about you how much determination and grit you have as you have made HUGE strides in your life!!

You rock!!!

Congratulations!

2007-02-18 11:20 AM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Great race and an amazing race report Cari! Congratulations on your "du-bling" and crushing your PR for that course. Way to go kiddo!

-Frank
2007-02-19 1:21 AM

, Alabama

Terrific job Cari!  I don't care who was or wasn't in your category, you so EARNED that plaque!!!  30-minute gain on the PR!!!

Excellent!

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tradewinds Park Duathlon Rss Feed