General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Coulee, Washington
United States
Total Health Events, LLC
56F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 00m
Overall Rank = 26/295
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/42
Pre-race routine:

I swam hard for 3 minutes and then casual for about 5 minutes
Event warmup:

The night prior I actually rode the publicized hill that toke about 20 minutes to climb and then swam but the outside temp was rigid with winds. The chop for the night prior swim was like the ocean I swam for 20 minutes.
Swim
  • 32m 48s
  • 2078 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt good but started to fast and then it seemed long and probably got relaxed in rythem for 1/3 of total swim. No battle water clear ...I need to improve my swim BAD
What would you do differently?:

Get faster and really look at starting more progressive. Slower start and then start getting into rythem and control breathing. It seems everyone was stroking deeper and harder than I noticed as people passed me and I tried to catch them. After last bouy though I started to feel as though I had something left in me others did not as I started passing some.

Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

84% avg but this was a ironman like transition as you departed water you grabbed a bag and continued to a tent and changed there and placed all back into bag and then found bike and put on glasses and helmet and departed T1. I put race belt on and had 2 zip containers with thermolyte and then sportlegs in the shirt. 34th overall in transition time so not bad. Powdered shoes really well and wore no socks which was not a problem.

Instead of not seated I would had used a seat to change.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Great ride except for crash though only 2 passed me and I got them with in 3 miles. Like always all down hills past many as bike is just so good down hill. last 10 mikes 9% downgrade though direct head wind which kept @ 34 MPH it could have been dangerous if no wind or tail wind.

NOT CRASH
Transition 2
  • 05m 21s
Comments:

DIfferent transition as they take bike and rack it for you and hand you your transition bike, I actually changed into running shorts I think this was great and also had my hydration belt which kept my pace. the high time due to awaiting medics to irrigate and dress avulsion. 63% HR

NOT CRASH
Run
  • 1h 44m 31s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

see above

get rid of shit in my pockets not alot but bugged me. maybe change shirts but with dressing it would have been a hassel. Top (umph) though soaked never was an issue.
Post race
Warm down:

right to hospital for stiches so not even stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

crash

Event comments:

Very well put on and great free eats afterwards (Mexican) the bike course was rough just with the wind on the 10 mile mesa rise.

Last updated: 2006-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:48 | 2078 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 68/295
Performance: Below average
85% avg
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: 900 each leg triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:55 | 56 miles | 19.32 mile/hr
Overall: 23/295
Performance: Good
78% avg though at times I would see 80 pretty regular which lead me to try to ease below not to blow up.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Publicised climb after 1 mile of a 750ft over 1.5 miles though only two 100 yard or so sections were steep the rest were not gruelling . Compared to Lakemont nothing I never saw less than 8 mph going up the climb. then mostly rollers but nothing overall you could not use momentum to get up the risers. @ 30-40 miles Very long 2-3% grade climb for 10 miles to top of mesa only 100 yard in a cutt so no wind the rest of the way was atleast a 30 knot head wind...it sucked for all 10 miles then the inevitable happened while riding with no hands and trying to eat my cliff peanut Butter Toffee Buzz I got out of balance and down I went. Less traumatic then the concussion at 70.3 but many abrasions and lots of blood and endstate 14 stiches after race.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:21
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
01:44:31 | 13.11 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 25/295
Performance: Good
1st mile @ 7:13 74% avg, 2nd mile @ 7:26 78% avg, 3rd mile 7:36 78% avg, 4th mile @7:27 79% avg, 5th mile @ 7:41 80% avg, 6th mile @ 7:52 79% avg, 7th mile @8:03 77% avg, 8th mile @ 7:31 81%avg, 9th mile @8:04% avg, , 10 and 11 mile together 17:04 @76% not sure where problem with timing went wrong I know I refilled hydration belt during this period., 12th mile @ 8:05 77%, 13.1th mile up hellacious cuttback trail 9:47
Course: Run was on hard packed gravel and this was first tiem I chose to run with hydration belt and also to change into reunning pants ...BOTH VERY GOOD IDEAS allowed me to maintain a pace and never stop except twice aprox mile 6 and 11 to refill hydration belt. short allowed me to be relaxed and dry. Weather was wonderfull, partly cloudy and about 69 degrees only got passed by 1 guy and at 12 miles I saw his pace had gotten like a few I had passed he looked stiff and in px so I passed him. I got to run with Haley Cooper a studdette @ 20 y/o who I met at 70.3 (she is ranked in top 10 in state) she was obviously having a bad day (as she noted ) running as I got to catch her and then stayed with her for about a mile before she told me to go on and then she still beat me because womens wave started 10 minutes behind ours and then she finished with in the 10 minutes. I cannot believe I felt so good I kept a stride the whole time and also a smile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %unk
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-12 4:54 PM

Seattle
Subject: Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Columbian Triathlon - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed