General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Ironman training question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-13 2:41 PM

Subject: New to Ironman training question

Hello everyone, I am new here and have strongly considered doing an ironman in 2 years. My background in high school was varsity swimming (my strokes were breast stroke and distance free style) In college I got into casual running and ran the MCM in October of 2005. My time was fair considering lack of training (which was out of stupidity).

This year I'm running the MCM again and am realisticly looking to go under 3:34 and dropping a minute off of my marathon mile pace ( my first marathon was 4:00 hours). My biking background is...nonexistent. haha. Seriously, I have none. I have been using the "cycling" bike at the university gym 4 times a week. I feel confident in my running and very confident in my swimming. I want to wait about 2 years and train/get used to being on a bike also. I do not own a racing bike.

I understand the training and preparation required and hope to hear from anyone who has experience in competing. Thanks Matt

2007-02-14 12:51 PM
in reply to: #689532

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Subject: RE: New to Ironman training question
Matt, I think your plan is a good one. I did my first IM in my second year of triathlons. I did ok, but now I am 4 years into it I have a lot more experience and confidence. When I started I was a very poor cyclist and couldn't swim more than 50 yards in a pool. You are ahead of the game in many respects.

Learn to ride a road bike. You don't need a racing bike at first, you need someting you will ride. Even a mountain bike is a good start.

The trainng plans here on BT are a great resource and you should read them and start with a sprint plan. Schedule some races to get experience and see if this is something you truly love and want to commit to. Ironman is a total commitment - emotionally, financially and physically. find a loca tri club or some people to train with. Ask a lot of questions and act like a sponge.

Hope this helps.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New to Ironman training question Rss Feed