General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer noise and downstairs neighbors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-02-18 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Trainer noise and downstairs neighbors
This trainer is causing more problems than it's worth...first the cats, now this!

I was on the trainer this morning around 9-10 when I see my downstairs neighbor at my window trying to get my attention below my window. He told me there's a "strange oscillating noise" coming from above and he's trying to sleep. I tell him it's probably the trainer and I can stop since I only have 10 minutes left anyway. He says "that would be great since I have an hour left to sleep." So that gets me thinking...I've been getting up at 5am to ride before work, so if the noise bothers them at 10am on a weekend, then what does it sound like at 5 on a weekday!? Is there any way to soundproof the room better? I already have a trainer mat, but what else will help with the vibrations and the noise through the floor? I'm not going to just stop riding because my neighbors want to sleep until noon on the weekends...is that mean of me?

This is one of the reasons I wanted to move when my lease was up...stupid Katrina raised housing prices and now I can't afford to move into a house.

2007-02-18 11:28 AM
in reply to: #694463

User image

Subject: RE: Trainer noise and downstairs neighbors
Other than extra padding, I don't know what you can do-

Maybe something solid (like a wide piece of plywood) to spread the weight of the base out a little more evenly, plus the pad you're using now would be better.

Or, you could hang the whole trainer assembly from the ceiling... ;D
2007-02-18 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran

A friend of mine had the same problem, the woman below him kept complaining of someone in the complex was running their vacuum cleaner at all hours.  The complex manager thought she was crazy.

He went out an got a fluid trainer, virtually silent.

2007-02-18 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
I have a fluid trainer, though! Maybe something's wrong with it? I guess I just assumed it was supposed to make a whirring noise.
2007-02-18 12:04 PM
in reply to: #694498

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
also helpps to get the trainer tire. Used to complane alot when the trainer was going and once I ggot off the street tire and onto the trainer tire then no one complains anymore
2007-02-18 12:12 PM

User image

Veteran

In comparison to an old wind or mag, they are silent. Either there is something wrong with the trainer, or your floor boards are made of balsa wood

Try getting a trainer tire like chi said, or adjust the contact the tire makes with the resistance unit roller. Also, put a blanket under a piece of plywood and then put your trainer mat on top of that. But watch the contact with the fluid housing, as it gets really hot.

Where is your setup, in the middle of the room? Try putting it toward the wall, preferably as far away from where your neighbor sleeps (this would involve asking him, but better that then pi&%ing him off further).

Edited by Braedon23 2007-02-18 12:14 PM

2007-02-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: #694498

User image

Pro
Texas
GulfCoastSwimmer - 2007-02-18 11:51 AM

I have a fluid trainer, though! Maybe something's wrong with it? I guess I just assumed it was supposed to make a whirring noise.

Mine makes a whirring noise as well, fwiw. Do your apartments have the recessed ceiling? If so, that could be part of the reason it sounds louder to them because they have the recessed ceiling and there's that much less between you and him/her. Maybe you could just make a deal with them to only ride between certain hours as a stopgap measure.
2007-02-18 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
-I've looked for a 650 trainer tire, but can't find one! Anyone know where to get one?

-The trainer is on one side of the room, next to the window and wall. I would assume that a bed would sit against the opposite wall, since that's where my futon fits easiest, and the room downstairs is exactly the same dimensions. Maybe the thin window is the problem?

I'm almost inclined to tell the guy that I'll quit the trainer when whoever smokes outside my dryer vent quits smoking and whoever has surround sound above me turns down the bass. I hate apartment life...
2007-02-18 12:29 PM
in reply to: #694523

User image

Pro
Texas
GulfCoastSwimmer - 2007-02-18 12:26 PM

-I've looked for a 650 trainer tire, but can't find one! Anyone know where to get one?

-The trainer is on one side of the room, next to the window and wall. I would assume that a bed would sit against the opposite wall, since that's where my futon fits easiest, and the room downstairs is exactly the same dimensions. Maybe the thin window is the problem?

I'm almost inclined to tell the guy that I'll quit the trainer when whoever smokes outside my dryer vent quits smoking and whoever has surround sound above me turns down the bass. I hate apartment life...

Heh, don't get me started on apartment living. The guy that lived in this unit before me had a second job as a chimney and the unit still reeks.

It might be worth it to ask how he has his bed setup so maybe you can put the trainer on the opposite side of the room and save both of you a headache. I seriously doubt the window has anything to do with it, it's all vibration/noise going through the floor.
2007-02-18 12:38 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I developed this problem when my downstair's neighbor changed from a 2 year old boy to a 35 year old nurse. THe boy's bedroom was right below where my trainer was. I trained at all hours of the day & night, and he never called to complain. Sure enough, though, first time I hopped on my trainer (at around 11pm), my neighbor calls and asks If I'm running a washing machine! I have a fluid trainer, but it still makes noise that gets transmitted.

Solutions:
Figure out when thye are not sleeping
Move the trainer to another room
Decrease your tire pressure
Add padding as suggested above
Screw the neighbor. NOt literally...
2007-02-18 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
I think it has as much to do with the vibrations being transmitted through the floor as it does the actual 'noise' of the unit. Try adding some various types of padding under the contact points of the bike and trainer and see if that makes a difference for the guy. You probably won't be able to tell a difference, so you'll need to get some feedback from him.

2007-02-18 1:21 PM
in reply to: #694554

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
well vibration of the unit is important. that is why the trainer tire worked so well but with 650 you maybe in trouble.
2007-02-18 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ

My .02 -

I don't think it's right to "screw the neighbor" (as someone posted) or any such thing.  I've always lived in apartments, condos, etc. and the one thing that drives me nuts more than noisy neighbors is discourteous neighbors.  From what you posted the guy seemed fairly reasonable about the noise and hasn't said anything about the 5AM riding at all.  I say return the courtesy - let him know what you want to do and work out a schedule or something.  Chances are even if the noise bothers him (it would bother the h3ll out of me!) he'll be accommodating because you had the consideration to try to work it out with him.

Seriously - how would you feel if you had a noisy neighbor, you let it be known to them that they were interfering with your quality of life, and their response was "well, tough."

Also, re: "I'm not going to just stop riding because my neighbors want to sleep until noon on the weekends...is that mean of me?"  --> not sure if I'd call it mean, but it sure is self-absorbed.  Your neighbor has every right to quiet in his apartment *all the time*, not just when its convenient for you.  You, on the other hand, have *no right* to subject your neighbors to the "fall-out" of your life-style (a trainer for you, but it might as well be blasting a stereo, playing drums, having an incessantly barking dog or banging on the floor with a hammer just because I find it enjoyable).

2007-02-18 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
EZL, I understand where you're coming from, but my criteria for making noise has always been along the lines of "would a reasonable person expect quiet right now?" While a 5am ride would be unreasonable to put my neighbors through, a weekend ride in the middle of the day is not that extraordinary. Even if I was still in bed at noon, I wouldn't expect my neighbors to put off vacuuming or watching a movie (or even the kids playing outside) just because I'm sleeping in. Just the same, I expect them to respect my peace at 2am when the rest of the world is trying to sleep.

I do want to work this out, though...that comment was just made out of frustration. Otherwise, I wouldn't have cut my workout short! I might have to look into something like padding underneath the mat, like some people have suggested.
2007-02-18 1:56 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I guess I should have added the sarcasm font to my 'screw the neighbor' comment.

What does your neighbor do for a living? I can tell you that my working and waking hours do not coincide with any normal persons life. I work mostly afternoon shifts (12-10pm or 3pm-1am), therefore a NORMAL bedtime for me is anywhere between 1am and 3am. 8 hours of sleep gets me to 9am-11am before getting up to take care of a few things before going back to work. In addition, I work about every other weekend.

SO perhaps your 5am rides don't bother him at all (maybe he's in teh middle of really, deep REM sleep, or maybe he's at work, or maybe he's up styding).

The middle of the day on a weekend is only relative to what you do for a livign and what kind of schedule you have.
2007-02-18 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
Why don't you invite the neighbor to join you in tris? One can always use more training partners. I've had issues with noise and neighbors too. Best bet is to agree on times that you can train.

2007-02-18 7:39 PM

User image

Kentucky
Subject: How many rooms do you have?
And do you have hardwood floors? I lived DOWNSTAIRS (1st floor) in my old apartment. It had hardwood floors. My upstairs neighbor (who is, fortunately, also my best friend) also had hardwood floors, and she heard me on the trainer all the time. I had a rug down, then I put two or three blankets/afghans under the trainer (fluid trainer), and she still heard. The windows vibrated a bit. Didn't matter what I tried to do. It sent noise UPSTAIRS. I can imagine it would be worse if I lived downstairs.

My first reaction, though, was to move your trainer to the spot in the apartment the farthest from the bedroom set-up. My neighbor wasn't bothered nearly as much when I was riding out in the living room as opposed to riding right under her bedroom. Even if it's not where you want to ride for convenience, it will make for a better relationship with your neighbors.

Incidentally, I have a magnetic trainer now, and my fiance can hear me riding it in our house when he's standing 30 yards from the house some days. I think it might depend more on the structure than on the trainer itself.

Kim
2007-02-18 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
As far as I know, he keeps the same kind of schedule that I do. The only handicapped parking spot for our building has his apartment number on it, and I've seen him getting an old guy (dad?) in and out of the car. I can see why he'd want to sleep in longer, but the younger guy appears to be the one living in the room under my trainer. Who knows...I'll probably just leave a note under the guy's door about what hours/rooms I can ride so I don't bother them too much. In the meantime, I'll try to construct some kind of soundproofing or shock absorption for the area under the trainer. Good grief...I need a house!
2007-02-18 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
No hardwood floors...
2007-02-19 7:52 AM
in reply to: #694882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ

"I'll probably just leave a note under the guy's door about what hours/rooms I can ride so I don't bother them too much."

I think that will go a long way.  It's like when people where I've lived have parties - they'll go to the adjoining apartments and let them know that it will be noisy at such and such a time.   Just the courtesy of the heads-up takes away a lot of the annoyance factor.  You can even bring him in on your sound proofing experiments - try different techniques and have him let you know how they work.

2007-02-19 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

I have no idea if this is even feasible, but there is a newish drywall product called 'Quiet Rock.' 

It's a composit gypsum with a sound attenuating core.  It's being used alot in new condo construction to decrease sound travelling between units.  Maybe you could get a piece and put it under your trainer?

Good luck!

2007-02-19 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Get a sheet of the really dense owens corning pink insulation foam, the kind that comes in a 4x8 sheet, probably 1" thick is enough to kill the sound without the feeling of biking on a trampoline. You will probably crush indents into the foam with the trainer and your front wheel or wheel block. Not a big deal. If you are too worried about it, glue a piece of 3/8" plywood to the top of it. If you are putting plywood on the top, you probably can even go to the 2" foam.

Paint it checkerboard black and white, and you'll have a really groovy 4'x8' workout area. That pink foam WILL deaden the sound, and the checkerboard will keep you focused on why you are doing your training.
2007-02-19 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
http://www.owenscorning.com/around/sound/commercial_acoustics/floor...

Is this what you're talking about? I assume that Home Depot will have something like this, so I'll probably swing by there today, since I have to pick up a new filter for my A/C system anyway. Maybe I won't even need to schedule trainer times with the neighbor if I can dampen the sound enough so that he's not bothered.
2007-02-19 10:02 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
I used to put my trainer in the living room when I was training on it, and of course the trainer was on top of carpeting, but no one complained about it.   Since apartments within the same building often have identical floor plans, setting up the trainer in the bedroom means the trainer is directly above or below your neighbor's bedroom as well. Perhaps shifting your training to the living room (if possible) could solve the problem.

Edited by betyoursilver 2007-02-19 10:04 AM
2007-02-19 10:03 AM
in reply to: #695387

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
GulfCoastSwimmer - 2007-02-19 10:52 AM

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/sound/commercial_acoustics/floor...

Is this what you're talking about? I assume that Home Depot will have something like this, so I'll probably swing by there today, since I have to pick up a new filter for my A/C system anyway. Maybe I won't even need to schedule trainer times with the neighbor if I can dampen the sound enough so that he's not bothered.

Nope, the stuff I was talking about comes in a 4'x8' sheet in varying thicknesses. It may be pink or blue, and is expanded polystyrene foam. The stuff you saw was extruded polyethylene foam.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Trainer noise and downstairs neighbors Rss Feed  

of 2