Myrtle Beach Marathon
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 18m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head.
Made my way downstairs and drank a cup (of Gatorade).....ok, enough of that..... Had a Cliff bar, apple and Gatorade for breakfast.
Hotel was fairly close to the start, still, my wife and the boys drove me to within a couple hundred yards of the start. Hung with them until about 10 minutes before race time. It was awesome having them there....long drive, very cold and very early morning....I'm grateful for all they did to be there.
Event warmup:

Warm up????...more like "Minimize the Freeze". Huddled with the the other poor saps in the starting area trying to keep out of the breeze and stay warm. It was really really frickin cold.
Run
  • 4h 18m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I am really disappointed in the results. I thought was fit enough to break 4 hours. I thought my training and taper went well. I started out slow, heart rate was a little higher than I wanted after 3 miles so I kept my pace where it was. I was on target for a 3:55ish at the half, I felt good. I never felt like I was pushing too hard. I remember thinking that the day was going well since my legs felt relatively fresh, not too heavy.

Things changed dramatically after mile 17. I started to feel the cramps in my upper calves and hamstrings and it was all downhill from there. The worst part (mentally) was when the Team in Training 4:00 pace guy went by me as I was trying to stretch out my calves at mile 20.5. I started running again and kept him close for about a quarter mile then had to stop again. Spent the next mile cussing, then just focused on finishing.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure....I followed my race plan pretty closely. I guess I need to look at the typical things that cause cramps. Focus on what I eat, train harder, put in more miles and more time cross training....get stronger....run faster....not cramp....?????
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled to a spot on the grass where I could sit down a bark orders to my kids to get me stuff. Then hobbled to the car where it took 3 trys to get into it. I had to get back out twice to stretchh because my hip flexors were cramping.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps. Cramps suck!! Cold??

Event comments:

Race Volunteers are AWESOME!!

Last updated: 2007-02-03 12:00 AM
Running
04:18:00 | 26.2 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Mile 1 - 9:29 (HR-159) 2 - 8:54 (152) 3 - 8:48 4 - 8:47 5 - 8:50 (155) 6 - 8:43 7 - 8:53 8 - 8:41 9 - 9:32 (157) 10 - 9:15 11 - 9:02 12 - 8:55 13 - 8:50 (159) Half - 1:57:40 14 - 8:43 15 - 9:14 (165) 16 - 9:07 17 - 9:26 (Here is where the wheels came off the bus) 18 - 10:17 19 - 9:59 (165) 20 - 10:30 21 - 10:34 22 - 11:28 23 - 12:08 (169) 24 - 12:35 25 - 12:43 26 - 11:51 (165) 26.2 - 4:18:00 (According to the Garmin I ran 26.42 miles. The actual finish time is approximate since I forgot to hit the stop button as I crossed the line. Chip time differed from Gun time by about 2 minutes)
Course: Course was flat, not very scenic, typical urban street running. But lots of volunteers at the aid stations. Police did a great job at the intersections!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-02-18 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon

2007-02-18 5:36 PM
in reply to: #694606

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon

Sorry the race didn't go as well as you had hoped. But, you can always learn from these experiences and apply them to the next one. Perhaps in the future you can eat more bananas in the days leading up the race; focus more on hydration (were you underhydrated); make sure you're replacing lost electrolytes; and maybe try salt tabs. Lots of things. Look at what other people do/recommend to prevent cramping and maybe try to do some of those things you didn't do.

No worries. You will surely break 4 hours (maybe even better) at your mary later this year!

Great work. You did an awesome job training the past few months. Don't get down on yourself, because while you didn't meet your goal time, you accomplished a lot: months of solid, consistent training; pushing through the pain and finishing when you felt you couldn't; and, duh, COMPLETING A MARATHON!!! How many people can say they've done that? Not many. I can't!

Take care, rest up, and once you're recovered, get back to training.

Oh, and I'm a Beatles fan....

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-02-18 5:37 PM
2007-02-18 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Then hobbled to the car where it took 3 trys to get into it

Heheh.  I'm with you on this one brother. 

Serious congrats on your race.  I'm sorry you missed your goal.  I'm even sorrier that I missed you out there.  Running in NC also showed  a long course.  What did you think of that last 5 miles where you could see a couple miles of course in the distance and it was slightly upgrade.  heh heh.  That part blew.  LOL! I'm glad you had the family out there with you for support and I can't wait to see you crush your goal in the future.  You've got a nice heavy chunk of medal around your neck and that's saying something.  Congrats!

2007-02-18 9:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
But you're a marathoner and in a whole other league to those of us who aren't quite there.
I am sorry that you didn't hit your target.
But I think it's totally awesome you ran a freakin' Marathon!!!
2007-02-19 12:15 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Awesome job. I hope to do this one next year.
2007-02-19 6:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC

Congratulations!  You did a great job completing the marathon.  It is hard enough to complete with everything works in your favor.  To continue on when having cramps is a testament to your willpower.

I grimaced when you talked about getting into your car!  I can just imagine how that felt.  I was so glad that I had walked to the start.  That forced me to walk back to the hotel.  I really needed that walk - I was in so much pain! 

2007-02-22 5:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

YAY!  CONGRATS FOR A GREAT MARATHON.... don't beat yourself up too much--cramping happens and when it does, it's really hard to combat.  (My hubby ran his one and only marathon at 7 min mile pace, litterally locked up at mile 22/24-ish and had to lie down for a half hour while he tried to get the cramps to go away.  He had to hobble with straight legs (couldn't bend or they would charley-horse-up again) to the finish.... ended up crossing with a friend (he had actually trained with)--a woman who ran steady 10 minute miles the whole way.  He was pissed, and then went and ate straight salt packets after the race.

Do you think you need to try something like eGel that has a high level of sodium?  I found that, especially when I sweat a lot, they REALLY make a difference wiht cramping.

2007-05-01 9:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO
great job george. you should be proud.  now that you're an expert, you can help me get through one!!!  i only hope i can hang with you.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BI-LO Myrtle Beach Marathon Rss Feed