Run the Reagan
28F / -2C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 19s
Overall Rank = 44/111
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Ate a chocolate chip muffin before I left my house. Yum. Drove to Snellville...got a little lost but we made it. Drank a boost and sat in the car waiting for the race to start.
Event warmup:

We jogged over to the start and had just enough time to take a picture and then we were off. Good thing too because it was freezing!
Run
  • 1h 59m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Normally hearing I ran the first mile of 13 in 8:10 would have freaked me out a little, but today I ran according to how I felt and not what was going on inside my head. The first mile was fast (for me) and my legs felt cold and tight, but I knew they would warm up soon enough. I kept on at a good pace, in fact a 5K PR pace and came to the 3 mile mark at 25 minutes. Around this time I caught back up with Kate and was feeling great. My legs were finally warmed up and I was settled in to a pace I felt comfortable with. Basically the next 3 miles were just me running and trying to catch up with Rivi. I started seeing people on the other side of the road around mile 5 and knew the turn around was close. I kept on to a 10K PR of 51 minutes and thought to myself if I can hold on to this pace I will definitely meet my goal. So about a half mile after the turn around my right hip/upper leg starts getting really tight and sore. I've never had this feeling before but what can you do half way through a race. So I kept running as fast as I could, but I definitely slowed down. Around this time Kate pulls up next to me and is looking really strong and says to me...I/you deserve victory (some guys t-shirt) and takes off. (Go KATE!) Oh and then about a mile down the road, the boring road with nothing to look at, I see my friend Heather! She ran with me for a few minutes and we chatted about the race but my face was so cold I could barely move my lips. After I saw her I started to count down the miles...4 left then 3 and with every mile down my leg started to get more tight. I tried to put it out of my head because no matter how fast or slow I was running it felt the same. [With that said, I in no way am making excuses for my performance, which I am happy with. I didn't even want to mention my leg in this report but that's exactly what happened.] I looked down at my watch with 1.5 miles to go and knew my goal wasn't going to happen but I could still get in under 2 hours, which was goal number 2. The rest of the race was weaving in and out of walkers from the 10K and trying to hold on for the last little bit.
What would you do differently?:

I really don't know what I could have done differently. My nutrition was good. I drank the right amount of fluids and gu'd at the right times. The only thing I wish was different was my leg but I'm not sure I had control over that. Just need to race more.
Post race
Warm down:

No real warm down. Picked up shirts and walked to the car. It was so freaking cold. So thanks to Anica and Heather for standing out in the freezing cold to cheer us on :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

There was no outside force that limited my ability to perform faster except for me. Unless I get hit by a car or something like that I really don't think this answer will ever change.

Event comments:

I had a good race. It wasn't the best on the last half but I am very happy with my performance.

Last updated: 2007-02-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:59:19 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 44/111
Performance: Good
Course: The course was so boring and drab aesthetically. The road was the same grey the entire way and there was nothing to look at on the side of the road either. The only thing that made the course not as dull were the hills. It allowed your senses to wake up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-19 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Run the Reagan - Half Marathon

2007-02-19 11:28 AM
in reply to: #695301

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Run the Reagan - Half Marathon
Fantastic race on a pretty difficult course. To go sub 2 on that is something to be proud of. WIth the drabness of the course, to not let the mental game beat you is another thing to be seriously proud of. You had a good day all around. Great job.
2007-02-19 11:41 AM
in reply to: #695301

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Run the Reagan - Half Marathon
Congrats on a sub 2 hour half! I hope that leg tightness doesn't start happening at other races. Good job battling that, and the cold.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run the Reagan - Half Marathon Rss Feed