Hawaiian Telcom
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 45m 14s
Overall Rank = ?/many
Age Group = ?
Age Group Rank = 0/many
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30. Got dressed and headed over to Aloha Stadium with my roommate. When we got there, the parking lot was pretty packed. So, I’m glad that we got there so early We put on sun screen and headed over to the busses that were to take us to the start.
Event warmup:

After a short bus ride we had to walk a bit to get to the start. We stopped for coffee, and proceeded to find a spot to sit and people watch and eat our peanut-butter bars. The amount of people that were up early parading around downtown Honolulu was impressive. We spent most of our “warm-up” time people watching, and drinking our coffee. I think that tonight's news said that there were about 20,000 runners. I’m not so sure about that, but there were A LOT of people there.
Run
  • 1h 45m 14s
  • 8.15 miles
  • 12m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

We were in the third wave of people to start. So, we watched and cheered for the other groups until we started. The plan was to just have fun. The race start was a bit confusing (lots of people without much direction), but we didn’t mind much. My roommate didn’t want to run much over 4 miles. So, we did a walk/run mixture the entire time. As we finished, we were trying to remember what we did along the race, but could not seem to remember many specifics. Most of our time was spent dodging other people, trying to think of appropriate song lyrics, people watching, and chatting. It felt like we were hanging out at home or at a bar, but were surrounded by A LOT of people. The excitement and energy was constant throughout the race. The volunteers were amazing. There was a band at every mile, and a aide station three times throughout the course. It was pretty neat finishing in the Aloha Stadium (we had just been to the Pro Bowl the weekend before, so it was a different view from last week!). Other than that, we got our t-shirts and headed home. My roommate pronounced that the entire experience was a lot of fun. She thought that she was going to be miserable, and was pleasantly surprised that she was had so much. Mission accomplished. :).

What would you do differently?:

For the purposes of this race, nothing.
Post race
Event comments:

This race was fun. Next year, maybe I'll try to run it.

Last updated: 2006-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:45:14 | 08.15 miles | 12m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/many
Overall: 0/many
Performance: Good
Course: Downtown Honolulu (Aloha Towers) to Aloha Stadium. A little under half of the race is covered by the freeway.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-20 12:30 AM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: Great Aloha Run

2007-02-23 7:28 AM
in reply to: #696486

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: Great Aloha Run
great job.......  i ran this last year.......unfortunetly, we had to move back to the mainland after 4 yrs in hawaii.  we miss it.  ALOHA!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Aloha Run Rss Feed