General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-21 5:13 AM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
Subject: Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to do a 70.3 in early May in Western Australia (I am there on business during the event).

I have done 2 Olympic distance tris and am just about to finish the season of Sprint Tris here in Melbourne which means I have done 9 events in all over the last 4 or so months.

I did a 16 week 2 x balanced Olympic dist program leading into the start of the abovementioned season and have consistently trained (although much shorter distances than is required for 70.3) throughout - and haven't always completed my logs but most is in there before and after I went away for Christmas holidays.

In short, with only about 10 weeks or less until the 70.3 - should I enter and go for it? I was planning on doing one later in the year with more time to train, but this opportunity has come up. I do have some knee soreness, but I can manage that and I will be able to increase my training from now - but is there enough time to get into 70.3 shape? The 21km run worries me.

What do you think?

If so, what program and where should I pick it up?

Thanks

Edited by anturtle 2007-02-21 5:16 AM

2007-02-21 7:55 AM
in reply to: #697706

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please
If I were you I would skip this race - if you are going to be in the area, volunteer at the race but based on your logs I would say that 10 weeks would be pretty aggressive to get ready for a HIM. Also, you mention knee trouble that you can manage, but do you really want to manage the pain or get healthy and be able to do this for years to come. The 70.3 distance is a very different animal from a sprint or OD and in order to be ready I think you would need to ramp up your training too quickly. The 70.3's are always going to be there - enjoy your success from this season and build on it for next season.

Shane
2007-02-21 8:36 AM
in reply to: #697706

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please

I've done a couple HIM's and if I had your training volumes from Jan and Feb, I wouldn't even think about it. 

HIM is a big jump from Olys and an entirely different world than Sprints. It's possible that you could jump into one of the HIM training plans and finish the race, but based on your current training volumes I'd say you're just as or even more likely to get injured.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upcoming 70.3 - First timer needs advice please Rss Feed