Myrtle Beach Marathon
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 58s
Overall Rank = 1279/2431
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had a Clif bar for breakfast along with coffee and sports drink.
Event warmup:

Ran to the race start from hotel (0.75 miles). Stretched at race site.
Run
  • 2h 10m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good and my pacing was about right. I was not able to get in as much mileage as I would have liked in training so I did not push the pace. The last 5K took 31 minutes and I really was trying to go faster. There just wasn't much left in the legs at that point. I also had a pretty bad side stitch between miles 9-10 in the dog leg portion. Not too sure where that came from as I have not had one in forever. Running down Ocean Dr was great and the little bit of breeze coming in from the ocean was just right. I had a gel prior to the race, one at 45 minutes and one at 1:40 (10 miles). I felt like a drank enough but it was hard to tell since it was so cold at the beginning. I pulled my gloves off at mile 10 and they were soaked. Normally this has not been the case in training so I know I was putting in a race effort.
What would you do differently?:

At least 2 more race length runs with more intervals. The time of year makes this a hard race to get ready for even if you have no other distractions.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the ending area and walked back to the hotel. Boy that shower felt good!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training. You have to put in the miles to blow it out on race day. You will never fool a long course.

Event comments:

This race is the first BIG run I have done. The Cannonball Half in Greensboro is not this big. What support! At times I thought there were more volunteers than runners. It would be really hard to find fault with the support of this race. If I could change anything it would be to have the race 1 month later to help with the training.

Last updated: 2007-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:58 | 13.1 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 1279/2431
Performance: Good
169 HR avg for the race. Actually was 168 avg for the first 10 miles and trying to pickup the pace at the end boosted the HR quite a bit. The max shown on the HRM was 183
Course: Fantastic course. Plenty of room to run even though there are lots of people. Not really crowded at all after the first mile. Flat course with only shallow, long hills. No short steep inclines on this run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-22 7:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: Dasani Half Marathon

2007-02-23 12:52 PM
in reply to: #698953

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Dasani Half Marathon
Hey! Great run! I liked the course, too. I'd never done the full half in training, so I was pretty amazed at how easy that came on race day. It's amazing how race dynamics work!!
2007-02-26 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

Great race Fred! Great performance even though you weren't able to get in as m uch training as you'd like (who ever can??).

Sounds like a fun race. I too have never done a BIG run - someday!!

awesome job! 

2007-02-27 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Great job Fred! So glad you enjoyed the race. I too have never done a BIG race but it sounds like fun. Now onto White Lake...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dasani Half Marathon Rss Feed