General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breathing Techniques (swimming) - Need Help. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-22 8:37 AM

User image

Westminster, MD
Subject: Breathing Techniques (swimming) - Need Help.
OK, I'm sure there are a ton of resources on this either here or elsewhere on the web but I just don't know where to begin looking.

I have not been in a pool to swim laps in probably 10-15 years and I feel like my 3 year old son right now.

This is completely embarrassing to say, but I hardly was able to complete one 25 yard length today without stopping. I just can't seem to get the breathing down. I push off from the wall, take a few strokes and feel like I have to stop in order to breath. I found myself holding my breath...something I know I shouldn't be doing...and I feel completely frustrated.

I have always had a hard time breathing in water...even with a snorkle. I tried to go out on a snorkling trip in the Caman Islands and had to quit and hang on the boat because I just couldn't get comfortable breathing through my mouth only.

If anyone has any tips, pointers, or can even point me in the right direction to some articles or books or online resources on this I would appreciate it.

I am starting to think that I just have some sort of fear of swimming and that I need to learn to relax, but I love being in the water. It is just breathing that I struggle with. I can breast stroke and side stroke with my head out of the water with the best of them...but that isn't going to get me through a 1/4 mile swim in June.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Edited by mdgoblue 2007-02-22 8:38 AM

2007-02-22 8:44 AM
in reply to: #699047

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Breathing Techniques (swimming) - Need Help.

It's normal.  Swimming takes a lot of technique.  I strongly suggest you look for some lessons in your area.

In the meantime, here are some drills that helped me to get the basics down when I started out (and had pretty much the same experience as you):  http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimming-drills.htm

2007-02-22 10:20 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
When you're breathing through a snorkel, remember that you have to make each breath a little deeper or longer. If your breath is too short, your only inhaling the exhaled air that's still in the tube. The same thing can help when you're just swimming too. Make sure you exhale deeply while your face is in the water so you can inhale deeply and get lots of air.

Part of the problem when you are just starting is that you are working so much harder and need to breath more until your form gets better.
2007-02-22 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX

Practice breathing while not swimming.  Example: Get in the water, face the wall, get in your feet up like you are about to swim, but keep your hands up on the wall.  Put your face in the water and start to practice your breathing. 

Not having to worry about actually swimming will let you focus on getting the breathing right. 

2007-02-22 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

Lots of good advice already but...

mdgoblue - 2007-02-22 6:37 AM I can breast stroke and side stroke with my head out of the water with the best of them...but that isn't going to get me through a 1/4 mile swim in June

Um...yes it will.  While I highly recommend learning the crawl, I can say from experience that you can sidestroke a tri swim and still finish the rest of the tri.  In fact, the last sprint that I had to sidestroke I actually beat some people out of the water who were doing the crawl stroke.  Not necessarily the recommended way to go, but don't worry about using either stroke as a recovery stroke during the event or let it hold you back from doing the tri IF you can swim the distance.  Just please be careful with the kick - getting kicked with one of those kicks can HURT!

2007-02-22 12:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Los Angeles
mdgoblue - 2007-02-22 6:37 AM
I can breast stroke and side stroke with my head out of the water with the best of them...but that isn't going to get me through a 1/4 mile swim in June.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Why not? Got me through my open water 1/4 mile Triathlon swim sections! And the guys around me too!

Edited by TriathleteNut 2007-02-22 12:24 PM

2007-02-22 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
I have to concur with the last two posts - 'unorthodox' strokes can get you through in a pinch. In my first open water swim - a sprint (750m), I had a panic attack at the gun. I never could get my breathing down or keep my face in the water. I managed to side stroke, breast stroke, etc. all the way through and managed to get out of the water and onto the bike. This method, while enough to get you to the end, is not recommended. If you are able to work on your breathing and get comfortable before your event, it will make things much, much easier. There are many great resources here on BT that may help you. You also may want to work with a coach if you can't get anywhere working independently.
2007-02-22 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

My first tri is in April and swimming's my weak suit as well.  Like you, the first few times I hit the pool to swim laps I thought my lungs were going to explode.  I lamented to some tri friends that this (the breathing) shouldn't be this hard.  One of the guys, an accomplished swimmer and AG'er gave me the best swimming advice I've received so far when he told me to "make bubbles" when my head is down.  By blowing out, you're creating room to take in (when you turn your head to breathe); if you never blow out, you're just allowing excess carbon dioxide to build and can never take in enough O2 to "feed" your engine.  Like a light switch, the second I implemented what he told me, I was swimming laps...now, I've got a lot of other swim technique issues to work on, but at least breathing's not one of them.

Bubbles are your friend - make 'em when your head is down.  HTH.

2007-02-22 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You've gotten some good pointers so far.  Breathing through a snorkle is much harder than regular breathing, so purge that frustration before you begin anything else. 

Blow bubbles , more specifically, hum, and practice long, slow, exhales and controlled inhales (not gulping or gasping).  You can do this just standing in the shallow end, holding on to the wall, or "bobbing" in water over your head.  For bobbing, you'll get a breath, go underwater and stand/crouch on the bottom of the pool while you blow bubbles.  When you need more air, "bob" up and get a breath and go right back down.  Your goal is to get one breath per bob and to develop a rhythmic pattern. 

Take some lessons!

If you are self-conscious about practicing this breathing and general swim-relaxation, enlist your 3-year-old to practice with you.  Have bubble-blowing contests and bobbing contests, and nobody will even suspect that it's all for your benefit unless your son is beating the pants off you in these games!!

2007-02-22 9:37 PM
in reply to: #699596

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
mdgoblue - 2007-02-22 6:37 AM I can breast stroke and side stroke with my head out of the water with the best of them...but that isn't going to get me through a 1/4 mile swim in June.

Um...yes it will. While I highly recommend learning the crawl, I can say from experience that you can sidestroke a tri swim and still finish the rest of the tri. In fact, the last sprint that I had to sidestroke I actually beat some people out of the water who were doing the crawl stroke. Not necessarily the recommended way to go, but don't worry about using either stroke as a recovery stroke during the event or let it hold you back from doing the tri IF you can swim the distance. Just please be careful with the kick - getting kicked with one of those kicks can HURT!

I was in exactly the same boat as you...just 4 wks ago...maybe worse. My sprint tri is 3/10/07 and my swimming experience in my first 43 yrs consisted of a few years of playing shark in the deepend and 1 lap of trying out for the swim team.......literally. That , coupled with my never-ending sinus infections made swimming terrifying....I experienced exactly what you are going through. I took lessons at Y and practiced some basic techniques from this site. My fallback, saving grace is that I have done my tri swim length with breastroke and head out of water. I did this in 12:40 for 500 yds. That is NOT the way you want to do this if you stay in the sport or if you can do freestyle right off the bat. But don't worry, you can at least make it through.

Now I practice 250-500 yd swims with 25 yds breast and 25 free, with the obvious goal of doing as much freestyle as possible.

The people on this site really are unbelievable with not only what they know, but how they share it..................and with the way they tolerate my long posts...LOL.

2007-02-23 2:07 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC

Face in the water - breathe out.

Face out of the water - breathe in.

2007-02-23 7:43 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
No one has mentioned total immersion yet. The drills in the Swimming Made Easy DVD are progressive and start with you on your back, then on your side, then with head turning in the water on your side, then adding in some arm movement, then learning how to roll from one side to the other, etc, etc. Its a great progression with a lot of benefits, but I think one of the best for someone like you is that it will totally retrain your breathing from scratch, which is what it sounds like you need.

www.totalimmersion.com (I think).
2007-02-23 9:10 AM
in reply to: #700271

User image

Westminster, MD
Adventure Bear...thanks for the head's up on the Total Immersion DVDs. I actually ran into that website yesterday by complete accident and was a little skeptical as to how good they are. Then I came back here and searched the forums and found that a lot of people have benefited from them.

Anyway, for anyone else who might be reading this thread, the actual website is: www.totalimmersion.net

Thanks again.

Chris
2007-02-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #700411

User image

Elite
Texas

mdgoblue - 2007-02-23 9:10 AM Adventure Bear...thanks for the head's up on the Total Immersion DVDs. I actually ran into that website yesterday by complete accident and was a little skeptical as to how good they are. Then I came back here and searched the forums and found that a lot of people have benefited from them. Anyway, for anyone else who might be reading this thread, the actual website is: www.totalimmersion.net Thanks again. Chris

I couldn't swim 25 yards when I started 2 years ago. I did a TI workshop and practiced drills for months, and ultimately it paid off for me when I finished in the top 1/3 overall on the swim at my IM 70.3 last June. It takes a lot of persistence but it's worth it.

If you are going to do TI, I recommend that you stop swimming until you have mastered all of the drills. The way you are swimming now will continue to imprint stroke mechanics that you will have to overcome. Work with the drills, and when the time comes do overswitch drills for your 1/4 mile swim if need be. I did that for my first two sprints in 2005. I was BOP on the swim, but I was relaxed and there was very little fatigue when I got out of the water and I had enough left in the tank to run down 10 out of 14 guys in my division that beat me out of the water. Had I breast stroked for 800 yards I would have been smoked.

Edited by Bill 2007-02-23 9:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breathing Techniques (swimming) - Need Help. Rss Feed