United States
34F / 1C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = 341/5135
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 45/332
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and checked the weather forecast on my Blackberry to decide what I was going to wear (I sound like a girl!). It was going to be 33F, so I decided to go with the running tights, LS shirt & vest, mesh gloves and skull cap. It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day, so towards the end I was a little warm. I may have been better off with shorts, but overall felt good with my choice. I went to the hotel lobby for some coffee and OJ and a slice of banana bread from Starbucks. They didn't have OJ, so I got some sort of smoothie instead. While I was drinking the smoothie I looked at the label and realized it has 50 kicking grams of carbs!
Event warmup:

Finished breakfast and I saw my friend Eloy who was running his first half mary. We went outside and started jogging a little just to get the blood flowing. We tried using one of the porta potties before the start but the lines were huge and it was getting close to start time.
Run
  • 1h 40m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Overall felt great. I started off a little slow because of the crowds but I was able to find my rythm right away. I lost maybe three minutes in the first couple of miles and that prevented me from breaking my 1:40 target.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Maybe try to find a spot closer towards the front. It took me 7+ minutes from the time the gun went off to the time I crossed the official starting line.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my mylar blanket and headed to the food tent right away. I ate a banana, some Powerade, pretzels and chicken soup. Mmmmmm....good! After I ate I did some stretching while I waited for Eloy. He ran a 1:57. Pretty good for his first half mary and this course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crowds.

Event comments:

I would definitely do this race again. I'm trying to convince my wife to run it with me next year as her first half mary!

Last updated: 2007-02-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:06 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/332
Overall: 341/5135
Performance: Good
Course: The new course was excellent. Not too flat, not too hilly, but just right and challenging enough for me being used to running in the flatlands of south TX. When I want to do hill training I have to go to a 7 story parking lot downtown and do repeats up and down. Not fun. Very fun race overall. There was live music almost every mile, maybe even more!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes