General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex 5C401 HRM (& Ironman Watch) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-22 8:09 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Timex 5C401 HRM (& Ironman Watch)

I've had this for a couple of weeks now and really like it.  This is my first HRM so I have nothing to compare it.  I did quite a bit of research as I usually do over my on-line purchases, agonizing over little details and trying to figure out whats important. I don't know how many of you have shopped for HRMs, but the # of features, bells and whistles referred to by different names was very confusing to me. 

After analyzing everything I decided I needed the following features- (in addition to basic HRM function):  1) a watch, since I dropped mine in my Tri on the bike.  2) Target heart rate zones and alarms. 3) % of max HR display.    

Due to cost I decided I would pass on the "downloadable to computer feature".   I also ended up not getting my #3) feature above.  This HRM has a number of features that I wasn't really concerned with like Time in Zone, Calorie counter, and Recovery Heart Rate Timer. 

I was a little concerned with Timex reputation for HRM's not being very reliable.  I found out this model in the "c" series is a new design by Timex and the HR features are greatly improved.  Heart Rate Monitors USA sells several brands including Polar and provided me that info. 

Anyway the feature I like best is that with my Garmin Forerunner set to 1 mile laps, everytime it beeps, I can hit the Split button on the Timex, it will give me my avg heart rate for that mile.  When you use the chronograph (stopwatch),  it will display HR and your time.  When you stop the timer, you can display (review) Avg HR, Max HR, Low HR for the entire workout, and see average HR for each split.

For $69. including delivery off Ebay (seller was HR Monitors USA)  I thought this was a heck of a deal.   If you want it to interface with your computer this one is not for you.

2004-09-02 4:09 PM
in reply to: #51614

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Timex 5C401 HRM (& Ironman Watch)
i have an older timex hrm that i've been very happy with. i'm ready to upgrade, but will get another timex. main reason for the upgrade is size (the watch part is huge on me wrist), but also it doesn't have average hr. the one i'm looking at sound similar to the one you just got. i bet you'll be very happy with that one! cheers!
2004-09-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: #51614

User image

Expert
Northern VA

I think I have to un -recommend this watch.  A few weeks after I got it.  condensation started forming under the crystal and continued to get worse, until I couldn't even read it.   I called Timex and they sent a replacement - just received it last week.   Guess what???  - Condensation already forming under its crystal.  Called Timex - they'll get back to me.   So anyway, maybe I was just unlucky?????  But thought I should update this.

2004-10-06 7:09 PM
in reply to: #66489

User image

Veteran
Joysey
Good to know. I just recieved my new Timex 5C631 and haven't noticed any condensation yet. I will definately be on the look out for it now. I'll let you know.

Shauna
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Timex 5C401 HRM (& Ironman Watch) Rss Feed