Houston, Texas
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 54m 27s
Overall Rank = 808/2922
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 98/238
Pre-race routine:

this was the most relaxed i've ever been before an event. i know it was because when i woke up it was raining and i was finding it pretty funny that i was gonna have to run 10K in the rain. so i didn't really have a routine. race start was hours away at 9:30 so i had tons of time. took my mom to the airport and then just floated through the morning, taking my time but all the while moving towards getting ready.
Event warmup:

none to speak off, there was a walk from where the shuttles dropped off the runners so i'll call that my warmup.
Run
  • 54m 27s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

i am very happy with this. this was my first ever something-K but i kinda knew what to expect. it took about 2 1/2 minutes to reach the line after the race began. once i started running it took about a mile before i could stop zigging and zagging around people. a picked up a little flag from a spectator that i held for the entire race. spectators are awsome. they give you stuff, they scream and hollar for you, they dress in costume and ring bells, they just make it better. race settled down once i made it to mostly people running my speed and thats how it stayed for the duration.
What would you do differently?:

i bet i could have finished 100 places better with a better starting position. i ran sideways so much in the first mile or so, it would have been great to have just forward running. even with zigging and zagging the first 5K was faster. the wrist unit was telling me i was going 7:20 pace which was prolly too fast. i will start closer to the front to elliminate the traffic.
Post race
Warm down:

walking around collecting swag.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

base

Event comments:

this was a really large race with over 7000 participants between the 5K and 10K. created a lot of congestion at the swag-getting-area after the finish but i don't know how that would be avoided.

http://w3.conocophillips.com/rodeorunresult/IndividualDetail.aspx?r... heres a cool video clip of my finish. its not so easy to see but halfway through you see a guy step into the frame from the left to retrieve a dropped hat. he bends right in front of me, i mean, i could have taken him out if i'd wanted to. i'm wearing a grey sleeveless t-shirt and my race number is low cause i was using my belt. you see me look right because i hear a woman start bitching very loudly at him which i thought was punishment enough.

Last updated: 2006-12-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:54:27 | 06.21 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 98/238
Overall: 0/2922
Performance: Good
disappointed here. i had done something with my watch prior, recording something and never cleared it out so it was 100% full. i wasn't able to record anything but i could glance at it.
Course: the course was probably typical of any downtownish course. city streets, paved with thousands of spectators. it left downtown over a huge span of bridge that had many walking just 2-3 miles into the race. down into a beaten up area and then back over that damned bridge to the ballpark.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-02-25 8:49 AM

User image

Houston, TX
Subject: 2007 ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run

2007-02-25 3:09 PM
in reply to: #702306

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: 2007 ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run

I saw you in the video!!

That's awesome they videoed the finish...good stuff.

Congrats on running a nice race and having a lot of fun. That's great you were able to stay so calm beforehand. I'm glad you decided to run.

And, if the temp is right, running in the rain is awesome!

Nice work!

2007-02-25 10:41 PM

User image

great job! The finish video is a cool feature - i saved mine from the half marathon, too. 

It looked pretty crowded even at the finish.  Was it like that the whole time? 

Running in the cool rain = refreshing!

Great job at your first "k" anything! See you at Athens! Have you finalized any carpooling plans?

2007-02-26 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Nice job speed racer!!!!!
2007-02-28 6:55 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Congrats, man!  Great pace for your first organized running event, too! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2007 ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run Rss Feed