Cowtown Marathon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 54m 53s
Overall Rank = 341/??
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 44/97
Pre-race routine:

Pack and arrange gear the night before. Get up earlier than usual, grab a banana, clif bar, OJ, and a little coffee. Check the weather online and try to decide what to wear. Welcome MIL to watch the kids (still sleeping) and head out with texmom.
Event warmup:

My event warm up consisted of a dash back to the car to drop off extra gear. While the morning dawned relatively warm and humid with the threat of severe thunderstorms. They didn't materialize. The winds pushed the humidity out just before race time and we all decided to shed. I carried long sleeves, vests, etc. back to the car and changed out of my sleeves into a little sleeveless number - the kind that's great to run in but should not be worn in public unless running. I made it back about 3 minutes before the gun.
Run
  • 1h 54m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Frank kept me in check for the first 3-4 miles, averaging around 9:45s-10:15s. Then I had to go if I was to make my goal. I increased my pace to low 9s and then sub 9s before heading downhill and really dropping the time to sometimes sub 8s. I actually finished with a burst that got me sub 6, but most of the finish was in the 7s and low 8s. I was tired, tight, and a bit sore, but overall the knees held up well and I don't think the full soccer game the night before affected me too much.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran a pretty solid race for my abilities.
Post race
Warm down:

Hooked up with Kirk (markquiet) and watched the course for Frank, Kelli, Jill (texmom) and Angela (yoblondie) to come in. It was great to be able to greet them and give 'em support for the final push. Then we had to help MIL get the kids through the crowd. After collecting the little buggers we headed for the mess tent for fruit and pastries. Then it was on to swimming lessons for the kids and I took advantage of the hot tub for some soaking and jet massage on the gams. I swam lightly focusing on TI training to stretch things out. Finally, we got back out to cheer FIL on as he was doing the full marathon (at 76 y.o.).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

probably the knee injury and recovery over the past 6 weeks.

Event comments:

The only thing I can think of is on Sunday's bike ride, I encountered a pile of discarded water bottles that hadn't been picked up yet along the trail. So, some sort of system to ensure that the volunteers clean up drop zones would be great.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-10-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:54:53 | 13.1 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/97
Overall: 341/??
Performance: Good
It was high to start with but moderated. Ran my HR at about 135 for the first 3-4 miles, but as I increased speed HR went up, too, to about 153. When I pushed past 163, I felt overexertion.
Course: generally flat with some hills. Some of the roads under construction sucked and were slippery as just enough rain/dampness had been in the air the night before to make a thin film of mud on Hulen. Fortunately, it wasn't a long stretch. The bricks on Camp Bowie were interesting, and may have slowed my downhill, but it was downhill most all the way with the strong wind at our backs. Made for good speed - sub 8s and HR in the upper 150s. Pretty damn windy, though.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-25 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Cowtown Half Marathon

2007-02-25 2:38 PM
in reply to: #702412

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Cowtown Half Marathon
Awesome time Doug! You beat your goal by a long shot. Glad to know you weren't planning on wearing that tank thing for anything but running!
2007-02-25 3:06 PM

User image

Regular
Denton TX.
Great race for the both of you!! I skipped my LSD run yesterday because of the
wind/dust. Awsome you were able to finish with good times despite the wind.
2007-02-25 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX

Congrats on making your target time.

2007-02-26 4:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Wow - great job! I checked out texmom's race results too and you guys make a great team. You guys are in inspiration to us newbies. Way to go! Tara
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cowtown Half Marathon Rss Feed