Cascade Bicycle Club
40sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 00m
Overall Rank = /3500+
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

After a poor night's sleep (I can never sleep well in hotels, got up ,made coffee and headed out for breakfast at IHOP. I've done this ride 7 times now and the pancakes are tradition, if not a great tradition. Ate and drive to the start. The start is on the ferry to Bainbridge Is where the ride is and is a fun way to begin.
Event warmup:

Arrived at start, realized had forgotten my number, just like last year. The nice man at the table mantioned something about a "flat learning curve".... Pinned and hurried across the road where the ferry was just loading, timiing is everything here, who wants to stand out in the cold waiting for the ferry to arrive? Not me. The cars get off the ferry 1st then the bikes and there was a real crowd. Uphill start and very close quarters, several near misses and one minor crash ahead of us.
Bike
  • 3h 00m
  • 33 miles
  • 11.00 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the unofficial I think start of the cycling season for Seattle. I drive over from Spokane every year and ride with my brother. It's always fun, I swam and ran all winter and he doesn't train much at all and still rode away from me several times. Overall, well organized, with that many riders, there are bound to be a few rough spots and there were but they were fairly infrequent. This is the 1st year it rained the entire ride but once you're wet, it's not so bad.
What would you do differently?:

Every year I say I'm going to do more bike work in the winter so I can blast up those hills and every year.......well....
Post race
Warm down:

parked bikes, ate a bowl of chili, got on the ferry back to car. Hurried to Starbucks for hot coffee and then to hotel for hot shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of bike time, partly due to weather in Spokane.

Event comments:

It's fun, you have to be prepared for weather and crowds. I'll be back next year to get those hills, this time I really will!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-02-25 12:00 AM
Biking
03:00:00 | 33 miles | 11.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3500+
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: LOTS of vertical! The don't call it Chilly Hilly for nothing. Course goes around Bainbridge Is.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-25 6:23 PM

User image

Spokane
Subject: Chilly Hilly

2007-02-25 9:50 PM
in reply to: #702611

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Chilly Hilly
Good job on a tough ride!  Maybe next year you'll remember the number?  Way to start off the season!
2007-02-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: #702611

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Chilly Hilly
Awesome fun.  I had a co-worker that went down to ride in the event,  waiting to hear from her about the event.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chilly Hilly Rss Feed