United States
ioF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 20m 5s
Overall Rank = 982/1438
Age Group = 34-39
Age Group Rank = 61/108
Pre-race routine:

I woke up early to eat and stretch. I only did the eating part. I think I peed at least 5 times. I was nervous and excited! Took some advil because I woke up with a headach. Thought it might also help with the knee.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little. Chatted with friends. Last minute decision to ditch some clothing which was an excellent choice.
Run
  • 2h 20m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a great run. The inclines were longer than I anticipated, but not terrible. I bought some new socks to wear, but I didn't really like them...no blisters though. My knee felt fine throughout the race.

My husband, kids, mom, dad, and brother came to cheer me on. It was great. I saw them at 3 different spots. The cheering definitely helps.

Jill and I stayed together the entire race. It was good to have someone next to me especially on the last mile. It was tough running into the strong wind.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. I need to experiment more with food. I always get a side cramp during the race. Not bad enough to slow me down, just annoying. The few things I've tried to refuel have not settled well in my stomach.

I would like to increase my speed as the season continues.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...took pictures with my running buddies...saw my family...ate some fruit. When I got home I really started to feel dizzy. My muscles felt fine, nothing was cramping up, but I just felt really dizzy. I took a shower and stretched my legs good. Then I laid in bed drinking water and gatorade for the rest of the afternoon. I think I let my blood sugar get too low. I needed to eat something during the run to refuel my body.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did great for my first half mary. My time was consistent with my training during the week.

Event comments:

The volunteers were very nice and supportive along the route. It was great seeing people cheering us on. There was plenty of water at each station. Maybe a few more potty stalls along the route for those who needed them. Some people had to wait in lines. I'm sure it affected there race time.

Last updated: 2007-02-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:20:05 | 13.1 miles | 10m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/108
Overall: 0/1438
Performance: Good
Course: I liked the course. A few hills, some inclines and a really nice down hill with the wind to my back. Some of the roads were in poor condition, but I didn't feel like it interfered with my performance.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-02-26 2:13 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Cowtown Half Marathon

2007-02-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: #703605

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Cowtown Half Marathon
Very good run! You much have had a great running partner to keep up that pace. Seriously though, that was fun and felt so awesome to accomplish our goal. Now on to the next one!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cowtown Half Marathon Rss Feed